Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Help picking out wheelset

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-20, 02:57 AM
mootboot

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm looking to replace my wheels on my road bike. I believe it has clearance for 28c width tires, but right now I'm using 25c tires. In the future, I'll be changing out my 25c tires for 28c ones, but my question is what is the internal rim width I'll need on my new wheels that will support both 28c and 25c?
Also a side question: Do you have any recommendations for an aluminum rim clincher with a rim depth of 30-50mm?
Old 02-26-20, 06:08 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Take a look at the Hunt Aero Wide wheelset.
Old 02-26-20, 08:11 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by mootboot
I'm looking to replace my wheels on my road bike. I believe it has clearance for 28c width tires, but right now I'm using 25c tires. In the future, I'll be changing out my 25c tires for 28c ones, but my question is what is the internal rim width I'll need on my new wheels that will support both 28c and 25c?
Also a side question: Do you have any recommendations for an aluminum rim clincher with a rim depth of 30-50mm?
Every modern clincher rim I can think of will handle a 28mm tire without a second thought. It just isnt a wide tire. Get something thats 17mm-21mm internally since that seems to be a sweetspot for where there are a lot of quality rims at reasonable prices.
Butted spokes are lighter and 'stronger' than plain gauge. Brass nips weigh insignificantly more weight, but wont freeze in place or strip out as easily as aluminum nips. All this in a well built wheel can give you a great mix of weight, reliability, and price.

All the above is generalizations based on personal experience and experience of others.

Aluminum rims that are 30-50mm deep are usually pretty heavy and for minimal benefit. I guess on the shallower side of that there could be some options, but why have a 50mm deep aluminum rim?
H plus Son does make a 42mm deep rum- the SL42. Its 600 grams and relatively narrow too.
https://www.velocityusa.com/product/rims/deep-v-622 Deep V is 30mm...and again, not light.

H plus Son Archetype is a really well regarded rim in terms of consistency and weight, but its only 25mm deep.

Here is a rundown of some aluminum rims with specs. Alloy Rim Roundup - Fairwheel Bikes Blog

Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-26-20, 09:20 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Kinlin XR31. 31 deep, 19 internal width. Tough, relatively inexpensive.

The Hunt Race Aero Wide ($449,) November FSW3 (discontinued?,) and ProWheelBuilder Signature Ventus (starting @ $350) are all Kinlin hoops.

There's actually quite a few alloy wheels out there around 30mm deep, but the only one I can recommend is the Kinlin, as it's the only one I've used.
Old 02-26-20, 09:32 AM
Robert A

Bikes: 2019 CAAD12, 2015 Specialized Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 45 Posts
I recommend going to intheknowcycling.com for insightful reviews on many aspects of wheel design and products that are available. For me, it was a huge go-to resource.
Old 03-16-20, 02:05 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
I have a set of Vision Team 30 wheels on my bike at the moment - 30mm deep aluminum with bladed straight pull spokes. They're listed at 1900g, and I think I can feel every single one of them when accelerating. Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly quite a bit faster on this bike than my previous bike with 1700g Ksyrium Equipes, but they just don't have the get-up-and-go from an intersection that I'd expect. I'm considering getting carbon wheels of the same depth (or even slightly deeper) for the snappier feeling acceleration. Any reason why you're only considering an aluminum rim?
Old 03-16-20, 04:25 PM
mootboot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aliasfox
I have a set of Vision Team 30 wheels on my bike at the moment - 30mm deep aluminum with bladed straight pull spokes. They're listed at 1900g, and I think I can feel every single one of them when accelerating. Don't get me wrong, I'm honestly quite a bit faster on this bike than my previous bike with 1700g Ksyrium Equipes, but they just don't have the get-up-and-go from an intersection that I'd expect. I'm considering getting carbon wheels of the same depth (or even slightly deeper) for the snappier feeling acceleration. Any reason why you're only considering an aluminum rim?
I have my reasons. I live in the Seattle area, and it rains a lot here. I'm often riding in poor weather conditions. The mud and grit would destroy a carbon rim wheel very quickly. If my frame allowed for disc brakes, then I would get carbon wheels. So the choice for aluminum is for safety and longevity.
Old 03-16-20, 04:27 PM
mootboot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Take a look at the Hunt Aero Wide wheelset.
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
Kinlin XR31. 31 deep, 19 internal width. Tough, relatively inexpensive.

The Hunt Race Aero Wide ($449,) November FSW3 (discontinued?,) and ProWheelBuilder Signature Ventus (starting @ $350) are all Kinlin hoops.

There's actually quite a few alloy wheels out there around 30mm deep, but the only one I can recommend is the Kinlin, as it's the only one I've used.
Sorry I didn't reply to you all. I must of forgot. I went with the Hunt Race Aero Wide. Thank you two and everyone else who replied.
Old 03-16-20, 04:32 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Sorry I didn't reply to you all. I must of forgot. I went with the Hunt Race Aero Wide. Thank you two and everyone else who replied.
Oh man.. that's great. I can cancel the rest of my planned therapy sessions. jk.. how are the wheels working out?
Old 03-16-20, 06:04 PM
mootboot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh man.. that's great. I can cancel the rest of my planned therapy sessions. jk.. how are the wheels working out?
They're on pre-order. Should be arriving early next month. I'll update this thread with how I like 'em.
Old 03-16-20, 11:17 PM
goenrdoug

Bikes: 2019 Supersix Evo, 2002 Trek 2000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 32 Posts
Congrats on the Hunts!

For the record, I wanted to mention these that i recently bought, myself: Specifications

They're about a hundred bucks cheaper if you spec them with the non-aero spokes..

I took the plunge last month and have been delighted with them. They're very similar to the Hunts and probably even have some of the same components (like the asymetrical rim, etc.) The biggest difference, for me, was that shipping was free and they took about a week and a half to arrive from the day I ordered them.

To say nothing of supporting the man behind them, who is said to be a great guy to work with on warranty/etc. issues.
Old 03-17-20, 06:39 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I have my reasons. I live in the Seattle area, and it rains a lot here. I'm often riding in poor weather conditions. The mud and grit would destroy a carbon rim wheel very quickly. If my frame allowed for disc brakes, then I would get carbon wheels. So the choice for aluminum is for safety and longevity.
Some of the Seattle/Portland rim brake people switch ou their Al wheels for CF when the weather starts turning. Seems to work for some folks pretty well.
Old 03-17-20, 06:48 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by goenrdoug
Congrats on the Hunts!

For the record, I wanted to mention these that i recently bought, myself: Specifications

They're about a hundred bucks cheaper if you spec them with the non-aero spokes..

I took the plunge last month and have been delighted with them. They're very similar to the Hunts and probably even have some of the same components (like the asymetrical rim, etc.) The biggest difference, for me, was that shipping was free and they took about a week and a half to arrive from the day I ordered them.

To say nothing of supporting the man behind them, who is said to be a great guy to work with on warranty/etc. issues.
I think all of these are based on the Kinlin xr31 rim, right? eg. here's another that should be very similar:
https://www.prowheelbuilder.com/pwb-...t-package.html
Old 03-17-20, 12:36 PM
aliasfox

Bikes: Lynskey R270 Disc, Bianchi Vigorelli

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 131 Posts
Makes perfect sense, didn't know if you were on rim or disc brakes. I'd pick alloy as well if I were upgrading my older rim brake bike. I see you've picked up a set of Hunts, would definitely be interested in hearing your experiences with them (especially hubs) after a few hundred miles - their prices are tempting for both my disc and rim brake bikes.
Old 03-17-20, 06:03 PM
goenrdoug

I think all of these are based on the Kinlin xr31 rim, right?
Yup. Seems to be a great rim for my needs. Light, stiff, slightly deep, inexpensive, wide, tubeless ready... What a time to be alive.
Old 03-17-20, 06:35 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Yup. Seems to be a great rim for my needs. Light, stiff, slightly deep, inexpensive, wide, tubeless ready.
502g, and 19mm internal width is considered wide and light?
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 03-17-20, 07:04 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
It's all relative.
Old 03-17-20, 08:54 PM
goenrdoug

In my opinion, in my post, yes.

For $400 and change I went from narrow ass Aksiums to the Neugents. They're 1460g and 24+ wide (outside.) With 25mm Schwalbe One tires, the tires measure 28mm inflated and the ride is night and day. I'm quite satisfied with them. Oh, and my big ass can STOP with the aluminum brake tracks on the huge/fast descents I regularly ride.

But please, go on and explain to me how some $2000 80-deep carbon rims with dimples you prefer are wider and lighter and so on and so forth if it makes you feel better. I won't argue.
Old 03-18-20, 06:43 AM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
I have a set of wheels built with 30mm Boyd Altamonts that are rock solid. They make a 25mm deep "lite" version that weighs 435 grams.
Old 03-18-20, 06:52 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Inexpensive, and stiff, but not wide or light.
Old 03-18-20, 07:06 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts

For $400 and change I went from narrow ass Aksiums to the Neugents. They're 1460g and 24+ wide (outside.) With 25mm Schwalbe One tires, the tires measure 28mm inflated and the ride is night and day. I'm quite satisfied with them. Oh, and my big ass can STOP with the aluminum brake tracks on the huge/fast descents I regularly ride.

But please, go on and explain to me how some $2000 80-deep carbon rims with dimples you prefer are wider and lighter and so on and so forth if it makes you feel better. I won't argue.
Did the exact same thing here. There are experienced folks on this site who apprently feel Neugent is complete garbage. Has not been my experience, but I am not a wheel guru. For the modest dollars, I have been much happier riding these than I was with my Aksiums.
Likes For bpcyclist: