Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

Trans Am Bike Race is underway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-21, 02:14 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I have ridden on brevets with several solo RAAM finishers, and they all said they had no interest in attempting TABR because it's so much harder and more dangerous with no support crew.
My gut feeling says you are right. I would feel more comfortable going deep with a support car behind me with flashers and reflective signs, etc. I read or skimmed the RAAM rule book once and they have really put a lot of thought into safety.

I took as few risks on TABR as possible. I did not ride anywhere near as many hours per day as others. Some of the roads are awful. Narrow, no shoulder and high speed trucks paid by the load. Throw darkness or rain into that equation and you better say your prayers. I have gotten a lot of hate in the past for saying that but that is my opinion. I really like the Euro Transcontinental way where you can make your own route from checkpoint to checkpoint.

I'd really like to do the Dutch version, Race Across the Netherlands. Cycling in Holland is heaven.
Old 07-02-21, 05:02 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
The TABR route changed after a couple of deaths. Bike Nonstop might be better as far as roads go. Adventure cycling should really do something about their route, it doesn't look like much fun to me. Although in the '70s, the section through Kentucky was reportedly harrowing due to coal trucks, and I understand that's no longer true.
Old 07-02-21, 05:24 PM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
I was walking around Yorktown this afternoon in between raindrops and significant storms last night and much to my surprise look who came riding up to the Yorktown finish and here's his picture I think he might have been 11

just after arrival Yorktown Virginia Friday 02July2021, Wade Walbrun. Congrats!

Last edited by UncleG; 07-02-21 at 08:21 PM.
Likes For UncleG:
Old 07-03-21, 05:47 AM
GhostRider62

Did the route change after the tragedies? I reviewed the first 3200 miles of this year's vs past years, the only change I can see is not going over McKenzie Pass. The road thru Kansas would be fine if the state didn't obliterate the shoulder with huge rumble strips. I used the TABR ridewithgps files. Perhaps, ACA has changed the route but TABR elected to stick with the old one?
Old 07-03-21, 09:44 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

My understanding is that it changed in Kansas
Old 07-04-21, 08:56 AM
UncleG

Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Cycling in Holland is heaven.
My sister said the same, she rode all over Europe and railpass. IIRC from Instamatic snapshots (it was that looong ago), it looked like a utility type of swiss army bicycle, 3 or 5 speed dunno....

She loved Holland, and travelled to Europe many times "uptil" (new word my vtext just created for me) the mid 90s. The farm became too difficult without considerable attention paid to it.

Last edited by UncleG; 07-04-21 at 09:40 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 09:22 AM
UncleG

4th of July

Well there are two Riders within vicinity of Yorktown but they might be a 100 plus miles out. And I thought I should go down to Yorktown this afternoon and see them and then I remembered that Yorktown proper is a zoo on the 4th of July because of a gigantic fireworks play at the York river but all the fields are crowded, cars, no parking areas posted all over. It would not be the ideal day to show up or it could be a great day to show up. Parking and transport away from the monument/finish would be next to impossible.

Is there any way to forewarn these two Riders poised to possibly make it by the end of the day and in the middle of the fireworks and the traffic and the crowds and the whatever is going on down there (it's usually a mess)?

Last edited by UncleG; 07-04-21 at 09:42 AM.
Old 07-04-21, 11:08 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

They will meet trail angels at the entrance to the capitol trail that will warn them about it

I guess you can get there, it might involve some walking.
Old 07-06-21, 04:24 AM
gif4445

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Specialized Diverge, Volagi Liscio, LHT, Trek 1.2

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
The TABR route changed after a couple of deaths. Bike Nonstop might be better as far as roads go. Adventure cycling should really do something about their route, it doesn't look like much fun to me. Although in the '70s, the section through Kentucky was reportedly harrowing due to coal trucks, and I understand that's no longer true.
I don't believe there was much, if any change in the route through Kansas. There was some talk about it, but I don't remember any rider, Nathan or dotwatcher say there was in fact a route change, but I sure could be wrong. In 2019 when I rode, they offered the KATY-Morman Alternate. I was the only one who took it. Great route through Nebraska, with good shoulders except for a short stretch in the east. They did not offer that choice this year. I know Nathan has talked more about some of the route in Oregon being suspect. I know the first day, as we headed inland, the Sunday recreational traffic was very heavy on a mostly shoulderless road. I believe Oregon DOT communication to Nathan has been from the viewpoint that the route or parts of, should be changed.
Old 07-06-21, 06:31 AM
GhostRider62

The route thru Kansas has not changed.

In case anyone is wondering, this is how the obliterated shoulders look except the grooves are usually milled much deeper. DOT Policy in Kansas implemented the groove policy in 2007 and since then roads there have these grooves cut into them. My reading of policy says there is supposed to be a certain distance to the right of the grooves (2 or 3 feet, I forget) for cyclists but this is not the case.

Old 07-06-21, 07:36 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
The TABR's route is different from the current ACA route, and the differences are mostly in Kansas and Kentucky. There are some smaller differences in other places as well, like slightly different routes through cities. This may be because the ACA has changed its route and TABR has not—I don't know.