Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fatbikes
Reload this Page >

Pics of you racing your fatbike!

Notices
Fatbikes Designed for use in sand, mud or snow, Fat bikes are the right choice for true all-terrain riding. Check here for the latest on these fun, adventurous two-wheeled machines.

Pics of you racing your fatbike!

Old 09-30-20, 11:32 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Since this thread is sleepy, we're not racing this year, and I forgot to post it last fall ... here's the 2019 Heck of the North.

I finished at 7:06:18 on the 108-mile course with 48th place of 172 finishers (& 13 DNF). This course is on the Northshore of Lake Superior. It's inspired by the Hell of the North, but instead of cobble sectors, we have ATV sectors. My fatbike was a great advantage on the ATV trails, but typical gravel bikes left me in the dust on the paved sections and we were equal on the gravel roads.

Photo credit - my number one sponsor, Lisa
Old 10-07-20, 03:16 PM
pipeliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts
Surprised you’re not running carbon rims. If you don’t mind a few questions, I’m setting up a bike for this winter for riding on lakes and trails.

Do you run tubeless in the winter? Which studded tires? Do you put something in the sealant to keep it liquid? Looks like you’re running mech brakes, think I can get by with shimano mineral oil brakes?
Old 10-08-20, 07:29 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by pipeliner
Surprised you’re not running carbon rims. If you don’t mind a few questions, I’m setting up a bike for this winter for riding on lakes and trails.

Do you run tubeless in the winter? Which studded tires? Do you put something in the sealant to keep it liquid? Looks like you’re running mech brakes, think I can get by with shimano mineral oil brakes?
Funny enough, this is a mostly stock '15 Pugsley, I'm running stock rim most because I haven't gotten around to upgrading them and I haven't wrecked them ... but it's on my list.

I've attempted tubeless, but because Marge Lite rims are not designed for tubeless, two shops and I have failed to get tubeless to work (and done a few cold miles walking). Around here (Minneapolis), most riders are tubeless for fatbiking (winter & summer). You need tubeless ready rims & tires and a compressor or special bike pump that will allow you to dump a large amount of air quickly (this is key to getting the bead to seat).

I'm a huge fan of 45NRTH Dillinger tires. Pricey, but totally worth it. They roll great in a wide variety of conditions, great grip, long lasting, and studs are replaceable (see video below) when they wear down.

This bike is on mechanical brakes, again, stock parts. I don't have any winter bikes with hydraulic brakes, so I'm not sure about cold weather brake oil. I'd recommend a post in the Winter forum and be sure to share the low end temp you'd ride.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-08-20 at 07:30 AM. Reason: YouTube link issues
Old 10-08-20, 09:13 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Another race I forgot to post ... and my last race before COVID-World took hold.

Artic Fever Fat Bike Race: the 2020 race was delayed until Feb because of a blizzard on the original date. This created a massive change in conditions from the last time I raced it in 2018 (temps around 0F) - this year was a high around 45F. The temps created a slush feast and left a lot of riders falling into the sloppy slush. The snow was mostly mashed potatoes snow, with just narrow track to follow from the riders in front .... Like a 8-mile long log ride. I lost count on the number of times I hit the slush. The mass start was interesting for me, I put in a good effort for the 'hole shot' without any real expectations, but found myself in the top 10-15 riders. The first few miles, I was on a rider's wheel that had massive tires that left a nice track to follow. But as the miles of narrow track started tiring me out, I was hitting the slush too often and a lot of riders got ahead of me. We finished by walking the last bay, the snow was too deep and slushy for anybody to ride, then 2-3 miles of a slushy/peanut butter limestone trail, so messy and just got drenched in freezing melt water. I finished the 13-mile course in 22nd place of 119 finishers, for just showing up to have fun, I'm really happy with this result!

Adding to the fun, I like to ride to/from these events. The ride to the race was great, the limestone rail-trail that runs outta my backyard to the race start was still frozen and rode great. But after the last miles on the race course, I knew the trail had gone to sloppy peanut butter with massive puddles of ice cold water. I rode the roads home and had to ride full-gas because I was soaked to the bone and the sun was setting with temps dipping.

All-in-all, it was a fun day and like most winter racing, full of unique challenges!
This finish line face says it all:

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 10-08-20 at 09:17 AM.
Old 10-09-20, 07:03 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
I’ll have to go dig up some pics from my CAT 6 days. I was pretty bad ass.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 10-16-20, 07:29 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I just got a 2014 Pugsley (and loving it so far!) with two sets of tires: the stock 27tpi Nates and 120tpi Vee Speedsters (two tires on the opposite ends of the spectrum!). So this thread interests me to see the various tires. Hypno Toad it looks like you've put quite a few miles on the Panaracer tires (Fat B Nimble, I presume). They appear to be about as "XC" as fat tires go, and possibly a good "all round" tire. Your newer post references the 45NRTH Dillingers, but did you like the Panaracers as far as "XC" type tires go?

I have the Nates on the bike right now and they feel absolutely glued to the dirt and leaves...and I don't want to give that grip up. But man, they sure are tiresome to pedal to the trails...
Old 10-19-20, 07:35 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I just got a 2014 Pugsley (and loving it so far!) with two sets of tires: the stock 27tpi Nates and 120tpi Vee Speedsters (two tires on the opposite ends of the spectrum!). So this thread interests me to see the various tires. Hypno Toad it looks like you've put quite a few miles on the Panaracer tires (Fat B Nimble, I presume). They appear to be about as "XC" as fat tires go, and possibly a good "all round" tire. Your newer post references the 45NRTH Dillingers, but did you like the Panaracers as far as "XC" type tires go?

I have the Nates on the bike right now and they feel absolutely glued to the dirt and leaves...and I don't want to give that grip up. But man, they sure are tiresome to pedal to the trails...
I've got my stock Nates, but having used them for a long time. They have amazing traction, OTOH they are heavy and slow rolling on firm conditions.

Fat B Nimbles are GREAT for summer on firm-to-soft conditions; but they can't handle snow or deep mud or running very low pressures. I like these for the gravel endurance rides, yesterday I did 100 miles of mix conditions, including pavement, limestone trails, gravel road, MMR, and some grassy CX - averaged 14.2 mph mostly solo riding with 10-15 mph winds and temps never over freezing. My only limitations were not enough gears to hold with the group on descents over 30 mph and slower rolling on the paved segments.

Dillingers are my tire of choice for snow and ice, roll great on almost any conditions and pressure, great grip. For reference, here's a race I did a couple years ago on Lake Minnetonka ice, my only fall was in a deep drift:

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 10-19-20, 09:08 AM
hokiefyd 

Thanks for your notes about the tires you've ran. Your frozen lake riding definitely screams for studded tires!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 01-29-21, 09:14 AM
Dumpngo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Wow road bike handles on fatbike. That is something new and never seen before.
Old 01-29-21, 08:33 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
I make this fat tire look skinny..

DD Fat tire race last weekend, Dubuque Iowa. I was the biggest/heaviest rider and came in last place . I’m happy to have finished, a few riders didn’t.

Old 02-01-21, 08:36 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Claiming it! ... "it" being solidly middle of the pack.

The 2021 Fat Bike Loppet was run like an ITT. Riders where spaced out with seeded starting times, and released at 10 second intervals. It was a very well run event!

The course was mostly groomed ski trails, and made the drop-bar Pusgley an advantage, but we had two laps of single-track trails that left me swearing. The course was close to 2,000 ft of climbing (correction: nearly 1,500 ft climbing that felt like over 2,000 ft) ... oof! Also some fast descents, getting up to 30 mph on snow is nerve-wrecking! I ended up finishing the 29k course in 1:29:44 for 47th of 95 riders.

BTW - this Toad rode to/from the race for a total of 30 miles

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-02-21 at 07:30 AM.
Old 06-28-21, 07:13 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Yesterday was a good day - I raced the Freedhem 76 and was the fastest fatbike!

Freedhem is a tiny town in central Minnesota, named by the Swedish settlers, Freedhem translates to "peaceful home"

The race is an 80-mile course that's mostly gravel with a couple ATV trails, the first one is 4.5 miles of rock gardens (sent one rider to the hospital with likely broken collar bone); second ATV trail was only a mile but it was basically a 1-mile sandtrap. The Pugsley ate up both ATV sections up without any stress ... I had somebody call me a cheater in the sandtrap as I barely slowed while they walked, but they admitted I did have to mash those massive tires for 80 miles to be able to ride 1 mile of sand

Photo credit: https://markmanoutdoorphotography.com/

Do you think I can get these tires to fit my Pugsley?
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 07-01-21, 08:53 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Looks kewl. Congrats!!!
Likes For prj71:
Old 07-01-21, 09:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5220 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
congratulations! you're a beast!
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 07-01-21, 09:13 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 2,914 Times in 1,782 Posts
Wow, that looks like some messy fun.
Likes For himespau:
Old 07-07-21, 02:06 PM
hokiefyd 

It's pretty funny that the fatbike guy wins rubber band tires! Congratulations on first in class. Those are great pictures, too.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 08-16-21, 08:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

The Final DAMn ... after all it's only a day across Minnesota.

Look for more details, a poorly written blog post, and a half-@$$ GoPro edit in the coming days - I'll post that in the DAMn thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...minnesota.html.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 06-06-22, 05:17 PM
rnagy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That looks like fun
Old 06-19-22, 07:30 AM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Alone at the half way point of the Beaver Dam Gravel Grinder. Crossing through the town of Barclay NV.
Likes For Airfehr:
Old 09-18-22, 08:15 AM
FREEBIRD1

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 106 Posts
A little local mountain bike course cruising
Likes For FREEBIRD1:
Old 02-05-24, 10:54 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

I finally did it, rode the Arrowhead 135! 2024 was the year without winter in Northern Minnesota, with very limited snow and temps around freezing for the race (this is a race infamous for air temps hitting -40F/C). The lack of snow meant the trails were not groomed, lightly used, and in some places, the racers were break trail for the first time this winter. It was slow slogging with lots of hike-a-bike (my data shows give or take 40 miles of walking)

Here's one of my countless snow angels on Monday during the early miles (photo credit to Amanda). BTW lifting roughly 80 lbs of bike and gear got to be exhausting as the miles slowly crawled by, by the second day, I was much more cautious to keep the bike upright and avoid that extra pain of lifting it back up.

The expression on my face says a lot about my state at the finish line, I was crushed. (photo credit Elizabeth)

That was nearly 35 hours from start to finish with a 6 hour overnight break at Melgeorge's (CP2), and that lean you see, that's not me leaning into the banner ... I couldn't stand up straight! (photo credit to Lisa, the best partner any racer could ask for)

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 02-06-24 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-07-24, 02:47 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Well done. Congratulations! You're washout photo looks like crazy deep unconsolidated "mash potatoes" snow...no fun at all in that stuff. What tires did you end up running for the event? I follow the race fb page....always thought a warmer year would be a good thing, until I saw this year, lol. I've heard even being above 10 degrees in a typical year can be much harder going, which does seem pretty weird.
Old 02-08-24, 10:20 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,167 Times in 763 Posts
Likes For prj71:
Old 02-19-24, 09:41 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
Well done. Congratulations! You're washout photo looks like crazy deep unconsolidated "mash potatoes" snow...no fun at all in that stuff. What tires did you end up running for the event? I follow the race fb page....always thought a warmer year would be a good thing, until I saw this year, lol. I've heard even being above 10 degrees in a typical year can be much harder going, which does seem pretty weird.
I was just talking with Frau Toad about how much overthinking I'd done about tires for the AH135. I ended up simply riding the winter tires I've had on the Pugsley for year-and-years: 45NRTH Dillinger 4 (studded). I started with 6 psi, and expected to dump some air after the start (and everyone did the same thing). I checked my pressure after the race, I was riding 3 psi. There are very few roads to cross, but on those limited road crossings, I could feel that I was near the low end of ridable pressure.
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 02-19-24, 10:31 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 430 Posts
local weeknight short track series. It's only a five-mile race, but I ride there and back which adds 40 miles.

My first and only snow race in the Berkshires. I'm really suffering here. It got icier as the race progressed. I did not have studs.
Likes For RB1-luvr:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.