Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1977 Motobecane Grand Jubile what's it worth

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 11:56 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts

I wanted to know if anybody could give me the value of the Grand Jubile I picked up earlier this season from the original owner. The bike is a little to small for me and I just picked up a Centurion in my size so I am thinking I need to thin the herd a bit and this would be first on the chopping block. Overall the bike is in great shape needing a good cleaning, service and the normal tires,tubes and cables which will all be done before I sell it. I have the original owners manual,it is 531 tubing and has full Suntour Cyclone drivetrain,SR crankset, SR seat post, Ideale saddle,Weinmann center pulls, Rigida wheels with Normandy hubs. The paint is in good shape with a few scrapes and scratches but nothing major and should clean up fine and the only real rust is on the top tube cable clamps which are Suntour but I have a good set of Huret one to replace.Thank you for taking a look.
Glenn

Old 07-17-10, 02:58 PM
BrianEugene

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Grand Jubile was in the high middle of the Motobecane lineup, below only Team Champion, Le Champion, and Grand Record. I've generally seen the 531 Grand Jubilees sell on ebay in the $350-450 range depending on condition and components (Vitus seems to be far less desirable). It sounds like yours is all original (I've seen the 1976 and 1976 catalogs, but not 1977 specifically) which is definitely a plus, but I think that the Grand Jubile with Huret Jubilee components might be more desirable.

I picked up a 531 Grand Jubilee with Huret Jubilee components in nearly NOS condition for $200 and thought I got a hell of a deal.

You could try craigslist, but I seem to remember an original owner, nice condition Grand Jubile on the Philly CL sitting for a while with a $250ish pricetag. I would think you'd be more likely to get top dollar on ebay.
Old 07-17-10, 03:01 PM
BrianEugene

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
P.S. I don't know if you are aware, but the Grand Jubile was only Reynolds 531 in the three main tubes. Stays and fork would have been something else.
Old 07-18-10, 07:41 AM
Glennfordx4

Thanks for the info Brian, I never sold a bike on Ebay(I've sold everything else) just because of shipping but if I could get a good price for it I guess I should consider it. I have seen the 76 and 78 catalogs and that's how I came up with it being a 77 as 76 was a mix of Huret and Suntour components and if I remember right 78 is when they went to Vitus tubing,with mine being Reynolds 531 tubing and full Japanese components. I really wish the bike was my size because I have always wanted a Motobecane ever since I saw my uncles 73-74 Super Mirage when he bought it new( he was to give it to me when he turned 40 but now at 65 he has yet to let go of it and made it his track bike),again thank you.
Glenn
Old 07-18-10, 09:35 AM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 33 Posts
Hi Glennfordx4 - You have one of the most desirable years for the GJ . They are truly nice bikes.

- If you do go to sell on eBay, set a reserve price you can live with, considering that shipping and packaging (even if you do it yourself) probably will cost more than you expect.
Old 07-21-10, 05:43 AM
Glennfordx4

Hey there Auchencrow,
I would think it would be with the components that are on it, I just love Suntour Cyclone stuff myself and considered finding a larger frame and swapping everything over until I got the Centurion to build.,thanks for everything guys.
Glenn
Old 07-21-10, 06:37 AM
miamijim

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
I'd best describe its condition as 'rough'. I've been tossing this one around and keep settling on $150. To be honest, If I were selling, I'm not sure if I could get more than $200 for it in that condition.
Old 07-21-10, 11:06 AM
Glennfordx4

Well,Jim I don't know if I would call it's condition rough in fact far from it,if you have seen some of the builds I have done this will be easy and it will polish up nice. There is no major rust or damage to any of the components or the frame.The pics are as found from the rafters of a garage were it sat for 25yrs to here.If I could get $150 to $200 as found I would consider selling it as is,but that's just not my style so I will redo it first and I have everything here I need to do it so cost will be minimal.Thanks for your opinion it does mean a lot.
Glenn
Old 08-15-10, 12:35 AM
ZTony8

Bikes: A Motobecane Gran Jubilee(bought new circa 1978),aTriace bought at WalMart,an old Scwinn Varsity and two old Schwinn World Sports that I bought cheap at a bike swap meet.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At risk of resurrecting this month old thread I'm now able to pin down my GJ as a 1976 model.For a long time I thought it was a later model.I bought mine new and I guess I bought it well before I remember buying it(ah,the joys of fading memory!).I definitely remember I bought it to replace a CCM 10 speed that was stolen from my garage and I think I paid about $150 for the GJ.
Old 01-01-22, 08:11 PM
lalukin
Older cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Jubilee, Fuji Alimara Limited, Trek rec. bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grand Jubiliee

I have a Grand Jubilee, made in France, which I purchased in the 1970s. Any idea what I could price it at? It is Silver and Red. Now has black cables and handle bar tape rather than the original red ones. Huret deraillauer and seat also has been changed. Still rides nicely.

Last edited by lalukin; 01-01-22 at 08:13 PM. Reason: included where it was made
Old 01-02-22, 11:47 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2926 Post(s)
Liked 2,921 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by lalukin
I have a Grand Jubilee, made in France, which I purchased in the 1970s. Any idea what I could price it at? It is Silver and Red. Now has black cables and handle bar tape rather than the original red ones. Huret deraillauer and seat also has been changed. Still rides nicely.
Good Afternoon and Welcome to the forums. Value is very subjective and depends on condition and location. If it is dusty and needs a service in Grand Forks you'll be lucky to get $50 this time of year. In Miami all clean and shiny and ready to ride you might get close to two hundred.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 01-02-22, 02:17 PM
lalukin
Older cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Motobecane

Thanks for getting back to me. This bike is clean and shiny. Send up on a trainer. Only used indoors for the last few years. If I sell it, I'm hoping to get what I paid for it back then. Unbelievable that I'm still attached to it after all these years.
Old 01-07-22, 09:58 AM
Glennfordx4

My 77 came out great and it took only a few weeks to sell back in 2013, I paid $40 for it and had no problem selling it for $375.

Old 01-07-22, 11:21 AM
lalukin
Older cyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
  • Your bike looks great. You got a steal at $40, and nice profit when you sold it. Sort of breaks my heart to sell it. So many good times in the saddle. It is getting time to thin the herd and downsize though.