Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Rack and Fender - Same Eyelet

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Old 01-15-22, 08:41 AM
smokeycanuck

Bikes: Trek Verve, Surly Wednesday

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Good day, hope this is the right forum for the question but I would guess folks with touring bikes or commuters have come across this issue before.

So I finally picked up a Surly Nice Front and Rear Rack for my LHT and noticed an issue. My LHT already has a set of SKS fenders and the front fender mounts in the rear eyelet of the fork which is where Surly recommends the Nice rack is mounted to. To me, it makes sense to put the rack mount inboard and the fender mount outboard on the same eyelet with a longer M5 bolt. PROBLEM is the SKS front fenders have a plastic "quick release" do-dad that is close to a 1/4 thick doesn't rest comfortable against the Surly rack mount.

I have heard some have used hose clamps or P-clips mounted higher on the fork blade for the fender. Has anybody wrestled with this before and come up with a good solution?
Old 01-15-22, 09:38 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
Is there enough room on the inside of the eyelets for the fender mount if you use a panhead M5 bolt and a washer or two to clear the hub and spokes? Or, would the plastic fender thingy rub on the hub?

I had a Surly rack years ago, I mounted it on the outside of the fork and mounted my fender inside, but the fender I used did not have a plastic fitting like you cite. And my fork was a LHT fork from 2004 which might have different specifications.

P clips would probably work. My Thorn brand bikes have the fender mounts up higher above the dropout, that is not a problem at all. I assume you are talking about the rubber and metal ones like these, but this example is probably the wrong size.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...1600/202875644
Old 01-15-22, 09:51 AM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2732 Post(s)
Liked 953 Times in 784 Posts
Without seeing a photo, it's a bit hard for me to visualize it, but I've used spacers with no issues for years with similar situations.
from my experience, if the bolt has threadlock locktite or heavy grease or whatever on it to help reduce vibration induced loosening, you should be good to go.

but take some clear photos of the situation and I can see how it compares to my surly troll setup with racks and sks fenders.
Old 01-15-22, 11:12 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 150 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6147 Post(s)
Liked 4,093 Times in 2,325 Posts
Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
Good day, hope this is the right forum for the question but I would guess folks with touring bikes or commuters have come across this issue before.

So I finally picked up a Surly Nice Front and Rear Rack for my LHT and noticed an issue. My LHT already has a set of SKS fenders and the front fender mounts in the rear eyelet of the fork which is where Surly recommends the Nice rack is mounted to. To me, it makes sense to put the rack mount inboard and the fender mount outboard on the same eyelet with a longer M5 bolt. PROBLEM is the SKS front fenders have a plastic "quick release" do-dad that is close to a 1/4 thick doesn't rest comfortable against the Surly rack mount.

I have heard some have used hose clamps or P-clips mounted higher on the fork blade for the fender. Has anybody wrestled with this before and come up with a good solution?
I’ve dealt with this is a couple of ways. In the past, I just pulled the breakaway off the fender (don’t need it for the rear) and trapped it under the rack bolt. Use a washer under the bolt.

More recently I went with p-clamps but I used nylon ones. You don’t need anything really strong to hold the fender. You can find nylon p-clamps at your local hardware.

Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 01-15-22, 12:14 PM
djb

I should add, as you know, sks fender stays have to be cut rather precisely because of the black plastic end thing that clips onto the fender and the stay has to fit into perfectly because its a closed unit.
So do think through things well before you cut the stays too short lets say, cuz then you're up the creek.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-15-22, 01:14 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

I generally do not cut the stays shorter unless I really need to. On this bike I bent two of the stays on the front fender downwards instead of cutting them off. They were where I would kick them otherwise. One of these days I will get around to cutting them shorter, but it is a low priority.

On the rear, I am assuming you can use the upper mounting points for the rack, lower for fender. At least my 2004 LHT had upper and lower in the back.

Agree with Djb, do not cut the stays too short. If you later put on a tire that is a bit bigger, you might want to move your fender out for more clearance. That is one reason I do not like to cut stays, they might be too short later. A friend of mine bought a new trike a couple years ago. (He is 85 years old, has lost some of his ability to balance a bike with two wheels.) The manufacturer had installed the fenders and cut the stays so short that the stays would have to be replaced to put a wider tire on the back wheel.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-15-22, 02:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4252 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Tourist in MSN The bending is smart. For whatever reason I never thought about that but I like the idea.

I believe what I did was just bolt the fender on the same bolt without the safety clips but the p-clamping the fender is a good idea, racks I wouldn't do but fenders aren't load bearing and plenty adjustable so it makes sense.
Old 01-15-22, 08:08 PM
smokeycanuck

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Is there enough room on the inside of the eyelets for the fender mount if you use a panhead M5 bolt and a washer or two to clear the hub and spokes? Or, would the plastic fender thingy rub on the hub?

I had a Surly rack years ago, I mounted it on the outside of the fork and mounted my fender inside, but the fender I used did not have a plastic fitting like you cite. And my fork was a LHT fork from 2004 which might have different specifications.

P clips would probably work. My Thorn brand bikes have the fender mounts up higher above the dropout, that is not a problem at all. I assume you are talking about the rubber and metal ones like these, but this example is probably the wrong size.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...1600/202875644
It would be a little tight on the inside for my liking, P clips look promising though.
Old 01-15-22, 09:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,364 Times in 1,382 Posts
I don't mind using the same bolt for a fender and a rack. It works fine for me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-15-22, 10:38 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 830 Times in 433 Posts
It looks like the issue you have is the front rack. Looking at Surly's tech sheet for the rack, it looks like you could use a 5-7 mm spacer on the fork blade and on the dropout mounting points and get enough clearance to still fit your fender's safety quick release to the front dropout mount.

This is a Tubus Tagra front rack, but I don't know why it would not work on the Surly rack.

Rear rack and fender mounted at the same mounting point on the rear dropout.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-16-22 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-15-22, 10:56 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
If ever it comes to mounting 2 things to the same bolt, I like to treat the bolt like a stud. Bolt through the frame from the backside. Then the rack, & an m5 nut to hold it all tight/secure. Then, on the remaining exposed bolt threads, install the fender bit & another nut to hold the fender bit on.
Old 01-16-22, 07:30 AM
Tourist in MSN

The issue the OP has is the front rack and fork.

Since several people are describing ways to do it in back, in the future this might be one of those reference threads people go to, so I will describe how I did it on one of my bikes in the back.

My issue was that on my Lynskey the rack and fender mounts are significantly higher than on most frames. Not an issue for the fender but that put the top of the rack way up higher than I wanted it.

First photo when I used the original rack mounting holes on the upper frame mounting points. The pannier hanging rails on the rack are almost as high as the top of most racks on other bikes. This clearly was a bad plan.

Some racks, the lower mounting bolts have to go through the rack in only one spot. My Racktime Addit Rack only had one set of mounting holes, but the hole was through aluminum plate that was flat. After thinking about this for quite a while I decided to drill some new holes through that plate so that I could move the mounting points up higher on the rack. Drilled a hole on each side, was extremely careful with marking and drilling to make sure that both holes are exactly the same position relative to the other holes to make sure the rack is not leaning to one side or rotated when mounted on the bike.

And, the Lynskey frame had two mounting points, upper for rack and lower for fender, I decided to use the lower mounting points for both. And the disc brake did not cause any problem, lots of room for the fender hardware. And in this case the mounting point was high enough above the cassette and chain that the chain will not hit the bolt for fender hardware when shifting onto or off of the smallest sprocket.

This worked well. In the photo below you can see on the drive side that both fender and rack use the lower mounting holes in the frame. On the non-drive side, the rack clears the axle and dropout, that was a consideration when determining where to drill the new mounting holes in the rack. Nylock nuts used, so they will not vibrate loose and fall off.

The clear plastic tubing wrapped around the rack tubing is intended to prevent the pannier from chafing the rack.

Photo below, there is plenty of room for a panhead M5 bolt, fender stays, a few washers on the inside on the non-drive side, plenty of room next to the disc brake rotor. And on the drive side the frame mounting points are well above the chain and cassette so shifting is not impaired.

And this looks much better with the pannier hanging rails down lower. Yes, the rack is tilted a bit forward, but I was in a hurry to take the photo, it was nearly sunset and I would lose the light in a few minutes.

I mentioned in a previous post that I generally do not like to cut stays shorter, but the fender stays that are under the rack platform, I did cut those shorter later, they stick up way too high in the above photo.

I got lucky and picked up a nice Nitto rack at a swap meet for $10, I use that for riding around near home and only use the Racktime rack for touring loads with panniers. But that is off topic.

Last edited by Tourist in MSN; 01-16-22 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-16-22, 10:12 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
If ever it comes to mounting 2 things to the same bolt, I like to treat the bolt like a stud. Bolt through the frame from the backside. Then the rack, & an m5 nut to hold it all tight/secure. Then, on the remaining exposed bolt threads, install the fender bit & another nut to hold the fender bit on.
I like this idea, especially if OP plans on loading his Nice Racks(tm) to their limit.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-16-22, 12:03 PM
djb

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I like this idea, especially if OP plans on loading his Nice Racks(tm) to their limit.
this does make sense, but as I mentioned, I've had no problems using spacers and certainly not light loads on long trips--BUT were using larger volume tires at pressures that allowed a good amount of give, so less jarring than narrower higher pressure tires.
Old 01-16-22, 03:15 PM
smokeycanuck

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks to all. At this point the P clips seemed like the easiest and most cost effective method. If after putting some time in I need to make changes for whatever reason, I will keep this post in mind and all of the great tips and advice provided.
Likes For smokeycanuck:
Old 01-16-22, 05:43 PM
Tourist in MSN

Originally Posted by smokeycanuck
Thanks to all. At this point the P clips seemed like the easiest and most cost effective method. ...
Looks good.
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 01-16-22, 06:04 PM
djb

added bonus is that this gives a very neat and tidy setup.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-23-22, 11:16 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I put the fender mounts on the outside. I needed spacers to get around the disc brakes.
Motobecane Phantom Outlaw fender strut spacers by curtis corlew, on Flickr

More at https://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2012/08...s-fenders.html
Old 01-23-22, 02:18 PM
djb

Originally Posted by cccorlew
I put the fender mounts on the outside. I needed spacers to get around the disc brakes.
Motobecane Phantom Outlaw fender strut spacers by curtis corlew, on Flickr

More at https://ccorlew.blogspot.com/2012/08...s-fenders.html
very good photo to illustrate using spacers.
and I agree on the looks of sks fenders, I have a set on my touring bike, silver with the nice lines and transparent bits, and after 5,6 years I find they are still really nice looking. In my case, a nice compliment to a black bike.