Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you rage ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-20, 02:39 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Do you rage ride?

I don't mean getting annoyed at drivers, although that's entirely understandable.

I have had some really bad **** happen recently in my personal life.

Riding is my therapy. There are times when I'm riding and it's not for fun, it's not really for enjoyment, it's to vent rage, depression and other negative **** in a somewhat constructive way.

Rage rides almost always have a few personal records involved. Yesterday was no different. I felt better.
Old 03-11-20, 02:41 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
I have done similar riding, for emotional reasons, not necessarily rage, so I feel you man. just don't be so distracted by your emotions, to lose sight of safety. bikes are a great release! then go home & eat a big meal, including animal protein & fall into a blissful meat coma
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-11-20, 02:50 PM
jimincalif

Bikes: '96 Trek 850, '08 Specialized Roubaix Comp, '18 Niner RLT RDO

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 83 Posts
I wouldn't call it rage riding for me, but it is mind clearing. Works for me with both riding and sailing, I can get my head totally into it, and temporarily let go of all the other stuff that's bogging me down. Sometimes while riding home afterwards I can visualize a way forward on some situation that was not necessarily clear before the ride.
Likes For jimincalif:
Old 03-11-20, 02:51 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Better than punching holes through drywall and kicking the dog? I'm with you; I notice I can start a ride agitated and after grinding up a few hills it goes away. Marvelous anger management exercise this activity we call cycling. Recently bought a second used road bike just to add variety for my pedal therapy.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 03-11-20, 03:06 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I always felt my bike commute was good therapy to get the stresses of work out of my system before I got home.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-11-20, 03:13 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
When I was in my teen days and if I had a problem and I needed my mind cleared, bike riding always did it for me. Thinks like a break up with a good looking girl, argument with friends, etc.
Even now in my late 40's, after a s****y day at work, a good ride allows me some "me time" to get away from it all.

If you're going to take out a days rage on something, I can't think of a better way than a bike. Just focus on being safe when you do it.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 03-11-20, 03:19 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Yes

riding is awesome therapy 👍
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 03-11-20, 03:25 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
I always felt my bike commute was good therapy to get the stresses of work out of my system before I got home.
Absolutely! Even riding to work can help deal with the stress for me.
Old 03-11-20, 03:31 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,434 Times in 816 Posts
I, also, would not call it rage riding. But I do know if something is bothering me, mentally getting me down, tired and depressed, I cannot stay in a bad frame of mind when I go for a bike ride. It really isn't even that I vent, I just get a feeling of calm, things are ok and I will be fine. I have stated this in threads before; "When riding a bike, I feel most like I am who, what and where I am supposed to be at that moment." That never gets old.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 03-11-20, 03:34 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
It’s not just rage, oh my brothers in biking. The joy of cycling for me is that it’s an activity that I enjoy and that absorbs all my attention. For the two or three hours I’m out there pedaling down the road, I’m not thinking about anything beyond what I’m doing right at that moment. I’m watching the road, watching for cars, glancing at my Sprintech mirror, looking to see what cog I’m in, planning how to attack the next hill climb, checking various numbers on my bike computer. I love it. I am hardly aware of myself, or my problems, or what’s for dinner, or my retirement fund, or cleaning my gutters, or anything else beyond the road in front of me. That is the nature of all the things we do that bring us genuine joy, putting us in touch with our deeper true selves.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 03-11-20, 03:41 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
I guess you're all right, it's not always 'rage', but yesterday's ride was. I even did a little primal scream therapy going up the good hills....

I have to be much more careful about it on my motorcycle. As a matter of fact, I actively avoid riding the motorcycle in that state of mind, but the physical exercise and focus of riding is much more calm inducing, even if just through sheer exhaustion.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-11-20, 03:50 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1092 Post(s)
Liked 936 Times in 601 Posts
Not rage for me either. Mind clearing, peaceful, and get away from it all time for me.
Likes For 2cam16:
Old 03-11-20, 04:01 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Maybe it's related to our "fight or flight" response. Our bodies have to do something in response to stress or conflict
Old 03-11-20, 04:18 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3238 Post(s)
Liked 2,084 Times in 1,180 Posts
On occasion I have, while on a ride, told a few co-workers what I really think of them. Fortunately they don't ride and were not present. Maybe unfortunately.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 03-11-20, 04:43 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
When I was younger I would take out my anger and rage on my bike...mashing a bike pedal is much safer and more therapeutic than mashing a gas pedal, both mentally and physically.

But here is my cautionary tale...

Cancer, death, job insecurity. All three had been circling over my life casting shadows in the day, and keeping me up at night for five years. Biking to work was a godsend. When fear, insecurity, sadness or rage took control of my mind, I could keep them at bay by following my mantra...

"Pedal harder!"

However, on a sunny September afternoon in 2010, I was stopped at a light a mile into my ride home from work. It was a particularly stressfull, grim, sad, frustrating day. I was on my old 12-speed road bike, with its original tallish gearing. The light changed, I grabbed the lower bars and pulled up as I mashed down with my right foot in an effort to stuff all of life's badness down to h*ll.

A bear-trap clamped onto my upper left chest with a shocking suddeness...at least that's what it felt like. "Oh (crap)", I thought..."I'm having a heart attack. But wait...the pain isn't radiating down my left arm." But then it began radiating down my left arm. "But I'm not short of breath, and I'm not sweating"...well I couldn't finish my thoughts because of the pain. I was only 48 years old, but my Dad was 50 when he had his first known heart attack, and then they discovered he had had one a few years before. But I was in much better shape than he ever was. I coasted across the street, stopped and stood straddling the bike and the pain vanished! But as soon as I leaned back down to grab the handle bars, the pain returned.

Turns out I slipped a disk in my neck which then bulged out aganst a nerve which causing pain down my left shoulder and arm. The pain was constant and didn't let up for weeks. Eventually, it would cease for a few minutes, then a few more, then an hour, then a few more hours. After 6 months I got on the treadmill to build up cardio. Finally, after a year, I got back on the bike.

I still had to deal with cancer, death and job insecurity, but now I had pain and the possibility I'd never ride again. I never needed cycling more, and yet, I couldn't ride.

Since then I don't mash with total abandon, and I don't strain with abandon on the bike. Life got better, and then there were more problems, and then resolution and good stuff and more of everything good and bad.

Now I'm 58, and I've lowered the gearing on my bikes, I spin more than mash. I still bike to work most days. It still is the best thing for stress, et al...

But I no longer "rage against the machine".

My corporal "machine" can't bear it.
Old 03-11-20, 04:47 PM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Yes, some of my best rides. Motivation has to come from somewhere.

Sorry you're going through things, I hope it stays manageable.
Likes For rseeker:
Old 03-11-20, 04:56 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Rage Riding was invented by Bernard Hinault, if I recall correctly:

I'm a big fan of his. I have a short 8% grade right outside my door, so at the end of every ride, I always stomp up it in my big ring, and make sure I burn up every last trace of anger, stress, or frustration I have remaining in me.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 03-11-20 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-11-20, 05:45 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
Rage Riding was invented by Bernard Hinault, if I recall correctly:

I'm a big fan of his. I have a short 8% grade right outside my door, so at the end of every ride, I always stomp up it in my big ring, and make sure I burn up every last trace of anger, stress, or frustration I have remaining in me.

thats funny coming from LEMOND1985 😜
Old 03-11-20, 05:52 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 137 Posts
I've gone out a few times to clear out a bad attitude.
Likes For Wileyrat:
Old 03-11-20, 05:58 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
I don't mean getting annoyed at drivers, although that's entirely understandable.

I have had some really bad **** happen recently in my personal life.

Riding is my therapy. There are times when I'm riding and it's not for fun, it's not really for enjoyment, it's to vent rage, depression and other negative **** in a somewhat constructive way.

Rage rides almost always have a few personal records involved. Yesterday was no different. I felt better.
I try not to ride angry. There's a spot maybe a half-mile from my house, so pretty much at the start of every ride, where right-turning fast traffic crosses over the straight-ahead bike lane. Most of the time, with clear signaling, cars slow up and cross behind me, though occasionally some jackass speeds up to try to zip across in front of me. Last time a guy in truck went for it and finally hit the brakes a couple of feet from my left hip. There was yelling and horn-blowing, possibly a bird or two flipped, and a big jolt of adrenaline, which completely threw me off for the first half of the ride (although I did climb the first hill pretty quick!). However, somewhere 20-30 miles out in the country, calm resumed. This is what a ride - especially a long one that wrings you out - does. Allows you to empty your mind and think of nothing but the bike and the act of cycling. Just being able to leave it all behind even for a few hours is truly wonderful.
Likes For Litespud:
Old 03-11-20, 07:19 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I work very hard not to be angry. It solves nothing and is bad fo rmy health. That said, my riding is absolutely critical to managing my sometimes quite nasty bipolar disorder. I would really be up a creek without it. Somehow, when I am out there on the road for awhile, all that stuff swirling in my brain just kind of melts away. And the voices magically all stop. It has really saved me.
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 03-12-20, 02:28 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yup. As other folks have shared, it helps me cope with stress from illness (cancer, auto-immune disorder, injuries with chronic pain from being hit by cars), uncertain financial stability, loss of most family (I'm the last of my immediate family and pretty close to the last of my extended family whom I know of), etc.

I try to put all that stuff out of my mind during a ride and just... be there.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 03-12-20, 03:03 AM
ropetwitch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
you get to enjoy the ride even if you're alone lol
Old 03-12-20, 03:18 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
Cycling gets me out of my head and into the world around me. I focus on my personal performance and the traffic around me. I do not listen to music while I ride, for me, it makes me jumpy and I feel less in touch with the environment. It is all about the ride .
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 03-12-20, 03:25 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 337 Times in 204 Posts
Head clearing, sure. Rage? Don't think so, but then again, being a phlegmatic by nature I don't think I ever have rage/anger more than for a couple minutes tops.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.