Old 12-20-21, 03:13 PM
ben4707

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wheel builder in bay area

Hi. New here.
I'm a heavy rider (around 110kgs) and I have had bad experiences with factory-built wheels in the past, and have heard that well-built wheels from a proper wheel builder may be more reliable or sturdy.
I ride a road bike.
That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for wheel builders in the Bay Area?
I have been losing weight and plan on continuing to do so, and I understand that wheels will always be less durable when the rider is heavy, but in the past 3 months on two different -NEW- wheels, I've had 4 spokes break, and 5 more come loose without breaking.
I understand these things can happen regardless of weight and how you treat your wheels, but I'd hope that there is something that I can do as far as the gear I purchase to make this less of an issue.
I don't ride offroad ever, I don't ride off or up curbs, and as far as I know, I am very gentle on my wheels to the best of my ability.

I am also open to suggestions for brands of wheels that have a track record of being durable even for very heavy riders, but I would be less skeptical if I knew the wheel builder.
Old 12-20-21, 03:38 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4334 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4707
Hi. New here.
I would be less skeptical if I knew the wheel builder.
Rivendell has a good guy.
https://www.rivbike.com/collections/wheels
Old 12-20-21, 07:00 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
Tom, the co-owner of Velotech is an excellent wheel builder and can do anything that you want.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 12-21-21, 12:51 AM
shrimp123

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
Chris robinson of Robinson wheelworks in San Leandro.
he has restored my Boyd back to life, a dura ace C24 tuned by him has about 10k miles and flying.

Last edited by shrimp123; 12-28-21 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-23-21, 01:50 PM
ben4707

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses! any other recommendations are welcome
Old 01-09-22, 07:36 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Gebhard at Veloro Redwood city is an expert wheelbuilder. have heard good things about velotech as well (the one in palo alto.) Im surprised youre having so much trouble with your wheels though, im a few kilos heavier than you, am very rough on my wheels, and they don't break that often. Snapped a few rear axels though
Old 01-09-22, 11:53 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
I weigh 275lbs and I've had two wheelsets built by Guy at Alameda Bicycle, on Park st in Alameda. In 6 years, and thousands of miles, all four are still true and no broken spokes Hand built wheels make all the difference.
Old 01-10-22, 02:07 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by ben4707
Hi. New here.
I'm a heavy rider (around 110kgs) and I have had bad experiences with factory-built wheels in the past, and have heard that well-built wheels from a proper wheel builder may be more reliable or sturdy.
I ride a road bike.
That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for wheel builders in the Bay Area?
I have been losing weight and plan on continuing to do so, and I understand that wheels will always be less durable when the rider is heavy, but in the past 3 months on two different -NEW- wheels, I've had 4 spokes break, and 5 more come loose without breaking.
I understand these things can happen regardless of weight and how you treat your wheels, but I'd hope that there is something that I can do as far as the gear I purchase to make this less of an issue.
I don't ride offroad ever, I don't ride off or up curbs, and as far as I know, I am very gentle on my wheels to the best of my ability.

I am also open to suggestions for brands of wheels that have a track record of being durable even for very heavy riders, but I would be less skeptical if I knew the wheel builder.
IMHO Key is spoke count. I am 240lb and ride 32 spoke wheels on my road bikes front and back. and double butted spokes. I was recently looking also, so you can look at my thread for additional recommendations. I decided in the end to get rims (ambrosio nemesis, reuse the ultegra 6800 hubs )and try my hand (again) at building a wheel. 32 spokes, Sapim Race spokes