Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Anti Theft Recommendations

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 02-09-22, 04:19 PM
kshen888

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am getting back into biking after not being on a bike in probably like 20 years. I recently purchased a EMTB to ride my local trails and, with the price tags of EMTBs, i am very paranoid of bike theft. are there any bike locks that work well? and/or is there any kind of 'tracking technology' that can be used to track the bike if it was ever to be stolen?

thanks!
Old 02-10-22, 12:15 AM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 309 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 324 Posts
I've not tried these, but the Apple AirTags may make for a good hidden tracker.

As for locks, if somebody wants your bike they're going to come prepared. A high quality D-lock and chain lock combo is a good deterrent.
Old 02-10-22, 09:11 AM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
All bike locks can be defeated by a sufficiently motivated/equipped bike thief. Check out LockPickingLawyer on Youtube.

Some will recommend never leave the bike unattended. Presumably you feel that won't always be feasible.

Consider the circumstances in which you'll be locking bike. Running inside a convenience store for a snack is lower risk than overnight outside in a high crime area. Deterring the opportunistic ride-off or throw-in-a-van thief can be done with a less robust lock than deterring a professional specifically targeting *your* bike. In any case, I'd recommend you skip anything with a cable, and focus on chains or proper D (U) locks.

If you would mention the situations you're anticipating using a lock, suggestions may be more focused on the balance between security and weight/portability.

Worth a read: https://lockjudge.com/lockpickinglaw...st-bike-locks/

Last edited by gpburdell; 04-18-22 at 05:29 AM. Reason: fixed a typo
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 02-10-22, 10:30 AM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the response guys,

The airtag looks promising!

Realizing any lock can be defeated, i am looking for recommendations for what locks would be better/more secure than others. not thinking an overnight scenario, more popping into a convenience store, or riding to the supermarket to get groceries, or maybe stopping somewhere to grab a bite and/or beer after a ride....so i guess portability would also be a consideration.

Is there a brand of lock that is superior to any others?...i figure if im gonna spend $$$$ on a bike i better fork out $$ to secure it.

thanks again!
Old 02-10-22, 10:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Are you planning on leaving your bike unattended?

My bike is either underneath me or sitting inside the house. Only once in a blue moon or two do I have it out of my site when out for a ride. Maybe a trip to the john or to grab a drink or nabs from a ****-and-git.
Old 02-10-22, 11:16 AM
gpburdell

kshen888 Generally speaking, Abus and Kryptonite are the "big names" to consider.

For being away from the bike for a few minutes in a moderate risk area something like an Abus folding lock can be a decent compromise. They have different sizes/weights and also have a couple models with an alarm. Check the Abus website for more info. I've been happy with my Abus Bordo 6100.

Depending on your riding you might also look at a frame lock with an added chain.

Also - if your ebike has an Abus lock for the battery (i.e. Bosch battery), talk to your dealer about the Abus YourPlus program in which they can order locks matched to your existing key.
Old 02-10-22, 11:56 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1644 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
It's an emtb. You don't care about lock weight.
The Lock Picking Lawyer is an entertainer who has stolen zero bikes off the street.
In the real world, two modest locks provide more security than one more robust lock.
Locking technique is as important as the type/brand of lock.

I am very paranoid of bike theft...Is there a brand of lock that is superior to any others?

Hiplok D1000 Anti-Angle Grinder lock
Skunk Lock - spews nauseous gas if cut
Altor Saf Lock
Old 02-10-22, 12:19 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
https://thebestbikelock.com/

Kryptonite and Abus are the big names. Basically, the bigger and heavier they are the more time it takes to crack them. I think each manufacturer rates their own line up for security.

Originally Posted by kshen888
thanks for the response guys,

Realizing any lock can be defeated, i am looking for recommendations for what locks would be better/more secure than others. not thinking an overnight scenario, more popping into a convenience store, or riding to the supermarket to get groceries, or maybe stopping somewhere to grab a bite and/or beer after a ride....so i guess portability would also be a consideration.

Is there a brand of lock that is superior to any others?...i figure if im gonna spend $$$$ on a bike i better fork out $$ to secure it.

thanks again!
Old 02-10-22, 12:41 PM
gpburdell

FYI - Apple Announces AirTag Updates to Address Unwanted Tracking

tl;dr version is they're enhancing the anti-stalking measures, which also happens to lessen their utility to locate stolen property.
Old 02-10-22, 02:20 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Originally Posted by gpburdell
FYI - Apple Announces AirTag Updates to Address Unwanted Tracking

tl;dr version is they're enhancing the anti-stalking measures, which also happens to lessen their utility to locate stolen property.
So wouldn't the thieves with iPhones also eventually just get a notification that they are being tracked and then know to search the bike for an air tag? If the thieves are doing this for the money, then they'd simply make sure not to take the bikes to a endpoint where they can be tracked too until after they have determined if it has such a tag.

Additionally, it just seems like all they'd really need to find out if it has an airTag is an RF detector of some sort. Which can be very inexpensive.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-10-22, 02:35 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
A thread on locks started on the touring forum two days ago.
https://www.bikeforums.net/touring/1...k-touring.html
Likes For Tourist in MSN:
Old 02-10-22, 03:12 PM
gpburdell

Originally Posted by Iride01
So wouldn't the thieves with iPhones also eventually just get a notification that they are being tracked and then know to search the bike for an air tag? If the thieves are doing this for the money, then they'd simply make sure not to take the bikes to a endpoint where they can be tracked too until after they have determined if it has such a tag.

Additionally, it just seems like all they'd really need to find out if it has an airTag is an RF detector of some sort. Which can be very inexpensive.
Yep, if the thief has an iphone 11 or higher, then after some number of hours they'll be notified if the airtag is with them. I'm unsure if they just get alerted if it's moving with them or if it'll alert while sitting still.

I'd imaging the pros would either just open up the likely hiding spots to look for an airtag or they might stash the bikes in a cooling off spot for a few days. I seem to remember reading that was common with vehicles when they didn't know there was a lojack installed.

So there's still some potential utility for an airtag to help locate a stolen bicycle - but that window might be just a few hours.

.. .and yes, I'd imagine an RF sensor could pick up an Airtag when it transmits. Yet with months-long battery life I'd imaging that transmission is periodic rather than continuous, and if the interval is a minute or two it might make it more difficult to do the scan with reliability.
Old 02-10-22, 11:28 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
I can't tell you how many friends and acquaintances of mine have had vehicles stolen that were recovered! Yay. Did they want them back after they saw what had been done to them in just a couple to few days? Noooo. I would not waste time or money trying to recover a stolen bike. Keeping it from getting stolen in the first place has to be a best practice.
Old 02-11-22, 12:44 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 910 Posts
All this talk about this lock vs that lock to secure a bike is based on the premise that one lock has merits over another in preventing theft. While that may technically be true, actual security has to do with the how high of a hurdle a thief must clear to accomplish his goal, whatever that may be.

It is not the goal of every thief to steal a bike. Some may need just a saddle or seat post. Some might simply want the fork, or bars, or shifters. Others might just want a wheel.

A thief with only the most rudimentary knowledge of bikes can do a lot with no more than a 4,5, & 6mm Allen wrench & a 9/10 mm combination wrench.

In only a minute or two a motivated opportunist with the above listed tools can still make off with the fork, seat post, pedals, crankset, derailleurs, handlebars, & super awesome set of brifters, but the overall package of a suite of locks suggests it's just easier to invest effort elsewhere.

I've seen it all. A lock is about your feelings of security, not the bikes actual risk.

IME the only sufficient deterrent is 3 U-locks & a cable lock.
Meaning:
1 U lock trough the front wheel to the frame/rack.
1 U-lock through the rear wheel to the frame/rack.
A third lock locking the frame to the bike rack.
Finally, a cable lock through the saddle rails & seat stays.

Lastly, you can further skew the risk/reward equation by using a bike of lower value (perceived or actual.)

My kids 100% mechanically sound but ratty looking, sticker covered, & rusty 1985 Peugeot Montreal Express was locked as above 40 hours per week in front of a grocery store in a known high crime area & another 10 hours per week on an adjacent college campus. In spite of several thefts every month from the very rack he attached his bike to, the only incident of note for him was a missing headlight/taillight the one day he was complacent.

Only stupid idiots leave a valuable bike & dumber stupid idiots think a lock means security.

I once stopped for lunch at a picnic table during a ride & watched a guy in a pickup truck curiously break out a lawn chair & stake out a Port-a-potty by the bike trail. His stake-out only lasted as long as it took me to eat my pb&j sandwich. He succeeded. In only seconds the bike was in the back of the pickup, & the poor fool with the full bladder had a very long walk ahead of him.

Last edited by base2; 02-11-22 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-11-22, 04:54 AM
BikeLite

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
Make a lightweight bike cover (or cover top half) plus lightweight cable lock. No one will steal what they can't see?
Old 02-11-22, 10:24 AM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for the info!

ill look into Abus and Kryptonite.

i actually do remember a recent story on the news about the Airtag notifying apple users they were being tracked, so sounds like Airtag is a bust >.<
Old 02-11-22, 11:58 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 441 Post(s)
Liked 838 Times in 406 Posts
You're never going to be theft-proof. But, you just have to be "too much trouble to mess with." That's why I like the multiple lock solution. An 18v cordless grinder will eventually cut most locks. But a thief is really looking for a quick job, so two or three locks really takes the fun out of it.
Old 02-11-22, 12:07 PM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
But a thief is really looking for a quick job, so two or three locks really takes the fun out of it.
LOL, indeed.

someone mentioned the Abus has a lock with a audible alarm, think im liking the sound of that too.
Old 02-11-22, 12:58 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3426 Post(s)
Liked 1,441 Times in 1,122 Posts
....a lock with a audible alarm, think im liking the sound of that too.
Ha Ha.
Old 02-11-22, 12:59 PM
kshen888

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
Ha Ha.
lol, just got it >.<
Old 02-13-22, 01:13 PM
gpburdell

i actually do remember a recent story on the news about the Airtag notifying apple users they were being tracked, so sounds like Airtag is a bust >.<
I still wouldn't necessarily dismiss the idea of using an airtag. I'd expect even with the anti-stalking enhancements, including reducing the time before chirping & alerting an iPhone owning thief, there would remain some window of time for you to locate your bike. Best case, the AirTag helps you find it (particularly if the thief stashes it somewhere to "cool off" a couple days), worst case you've now also lost an AirTag.

It's unfortunate that the features good for tracking stolen property (small, tough to find, long battery life) are also the same features desired by a stalker or someone planning a follow-home type of crime such as **** or robbery. https://patch.com/california/across-...-cyberfollowed
Old 02-15-22, 07:09 PM
Nvreloader

Bikes: 2021 Wart Hog 750MD

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
This is very interesting lock, along with a motion detector, might make a for a good watch,
https://www.skunklock.com/

Tia,
Don
Old 02-15-22, 09:52 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Hi All,

I am getting back into biking after not being on a bike in probably like 20 years. I recently purchased a EMTB to ride my local trails and, with the price tags of EMTBs, i am very paranoid of bike theft. are there any bike locks that work well? and/or is there any kind of 'tracking technology' that can be used to track the bike if it was ever to be stolen?

thanks!
If you have a rack and a rack bag, on an Ebike, I would use at least this lock --> ABUS Granit Extreme 59 U-lock
Old 02-16-22, 12:31 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Originally Posted by Nvreloader
This is very interesting lock, along with a motion detector, might make a for a good watch,
https://www.skunklock.com/
Post number 7!
Old 02-16-22, 12:47 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by base2
It is not the goal of every thief to steal a bike. Some may need just a saddle or seat post. Some might simply want the fork, or bars, or shifters. Others might just want a wheel.
This is why on my commuting/errand running bike you'll find components affixed with security fasteners.

There are 'homemade' ways to do this: drop an appropriately sized ball bearing into the hex recess and melt-wax it in place, etc.

And there are various sources:
commercially available security torx screws
https://www.bicyclebolts.com/
https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/
https://www.pitlock.de/en/
Sphyke security skewers - hmm, don't have a current url
Sunlite locking skewers - https://www.amazon.com/SUNLITE-Locki.../dp/B002K2IYPY
Kryptonite WheelNutz - https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/pr...l?type=bicycle

Last edited by tcs; 02-16-22 at 01:01 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.