Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Garmin Edge price drops, 840/540 coming soon?

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-22, 01:54 PM
Ubie

Bikes: 2019 CO-OP DRT 1.2, 2001 Trek 2200, 2021 Cannondale Topstone 1 Alloy

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 47 Posts

Garmin Edge prices have dropped in the last few days by $50 on the 830 and 530 models. This has me hoping the 840 and 540 models will be coming soon!
​​​​​​Ready to upgrade from my old 130 but don't want to move to 2-3 year old tech if the latest and greatest is just around the corner.
Sadly, the rumor mill has been quiet about the new models, with speculation going back well over a year. I'll probably pull the trigger on an x30 if I don't see anything difinitive by June though.
Old 04-01-22, 02:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I'd hold out for awhile. I recently started using my kid's 530 when my 130 couldn't hold a charge for more than 3 or 4 hr. Although the 530 is definitely an improvement, it hasn't changed my life. I think the 830 is basically a touch-screen version of the same thing. OTOH there is nothing wrong with it, and if they drop the price significantly, it might be worth it.
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-04-22, 05:50 AM
gpburdell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
I've owned various Garmin running watches for years, and in my experience it's best to wait a few months before buying any new model unless there's some specific feature you just can't live without. They make good hardware but have a bad habit of releasing new product with various software bugs that take a few months to clean up.
Likes For gpburdell:
Old 04-04-22, 06:07 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
The software stability noted above is a good point. I agree they make good hardware but software updates in the past have caused some minor issues with Garmin products I've owned. If there is a new product coming it would be nice to know what new features if any will come with it. If those features aren't important it may make sense to get one of the existing models. I'm quite happy with my 530 so won't be upgrading. But when I bought my last Garmin watch, I bought a Forerunner 735XT which was pretty much at the end of its lifecycle. I got a good price on it and it has served me well.

Old 04-05-22, 06:13 PM
shawrx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New cycling products are often announced at the Sea Otter expo which starts this Thursday. It's possible we'll hear something about new Garmin Edge units later this week.
Likes For shawrx: