Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Researching TTV (Tandem Transport Vehicles)

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 07:04 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts

The kids are grown, and the mini van is 10 years old, so its time to start thinking about a new non-commuting vehicle. I really like the ease of popping off the front wheel and putting the tandem into the mini van, quick, painless, and weather proof, but we don't need a mini van anymore. I'm wondering what other vehicles make good candidates to transport an assembled (minus front wheel) tandem? I'm sure the key is in the seat layout.
Old 03-04-10, 07:48 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
People have stuffed tandems into cars as small as a Honda Fit (riders sitting in tandem in the car with the bike on the right) and Honda Elements (right down the middle) are a very popular tandem hauler at many rallies; it's all about deciding just how much car you'd like to have and how much of your personal space you're willing to share with your tandem.

Zona hauls their tandem around in a Honda Accord wagon, which works fine for them... we have used two different K1500 Suburbans, a Toyota 4Runner and two different pick-ups with enclosed shells to haul ours around.

Having the rolling garage is nice if you do a lot of trips or rallies with your tandem and don't want to leave it attached to a rack on a car or haul it into your sleeping quarters at night but, clearly, those who subscribe to the roof or rear rack mount scenarios are free to drive what they like... I've seen everything from a Porsche Boxter with receiver mount carrying a Cannondale RT3000, to Mini Coopers with Atoc Mounts hauling tandems, to a small enclosed trailer / rolling bike tandem garage with a triplet stuffed in caddy-corner sans wheels + a tandem, to our '97 Suburban with 3 tandems on the roof, six people inside and enough luggage behind the 3rd row seat for a 3-day rally.

We've kind of reached the point where we don't like having the bikes IN the passenger compartment anymore. At present, our '96 DoubleCab Tundra allows just that as the bikes and tandems sit in the enclosed bed, out of sight and out of mind. We no longer have to deal with the noise and odors that come with hauling a bicycle around inside a car and I applied 'Limo Tint' to the camper shell's windows which make it nearly impossible to know what's in the bed of our truck to most passers by. Yeah, the gas mileage sucks... Thought about adding a Mini Cooper S to the stable, but I'd have to give up my two motorcycles to make that work and I'm just not ready to do that.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 03-04-10 at 07:53 AM.
Old 03-04-10, 10:08 AM
HandsomeRyan
Pants are for suckaz

Bikes: Hardtail MTB, Fixed gear, and Commuter bike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We fit our tandem inside our Nissan Rogue. Fold down the passenger seat and the passenger half of the back seat. We have to remove the saddles (on QR's so not hard) but it fits with the wheels on.

The constantly variable transmission is pretty neat too.
Old 03-04-10, 01:58 PM
Philly Tandem

Bikes: Too many! Santana tandems and triplet; MTBs; touring bikes

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Believe it or not, you can fit a medium-sized tandem in a Subaru Outback wagon. But, you have to put the rear seat down and take both wheels off. We usually put it on the roof, but on long trips we put it inside. Actually, now that we have a Honda Odyssey, we don't use the Subie all that much. You still can't beat the convenience of a minivan... we can fit our Santana Cabrio triplet inside the Odyssey with only the front wheel off.

Other vehicles we considered for tandem transport included the Honda Element, as mentioned, as well as the Ford Flex.
Old 03-04-10, 06:21 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
A tandem can be fit in most vehicles; it's just a matter of figuring out how.
Have hauled tandem in Honda Accord SW and Hatchbacks, VW Squareback, Jeep Wagoneer, Ford SW, etc.
One time needed to haul 3 tandems to our local Bike Swap meet. By taking off pedals, capt. seatpost with stoker bars attached and wheels we fit all three in the Accord Station Wagon with the hatch part way open and bungeed down.
Hey, where ther's a will, there's a way!
Pedal on TWOgether!
Rudy and Kay/zonatandem
Old 03-04-10, 07:38 PM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by DCwom
The kids are grown, and the mini van is 10 years old, so its time to start thinking about a new non-commuting vehicle. I really like the ease of popping off the front wheel and putting the tandem into the mini van, quick, painless, and weather proof, but we don't need a mini van anymore. I'm wondering what other vehicles make good candidates to transport an assembled (minus front wheel) tandem? I'm sure the key is in the seat layout.
We are in same boat (or should I say van) We have a Toyota Sienna and put the bike on top using the ATOC tandem topper. We can easily fit in inside by taking two seats out, but it's a pain to remove and install the seats.
We thought the Subaru Outback might be a good option. Would be easier to put it on top since its lower than the Sienna. Taking both wheels off to put it inside would not be something I would do.
Old 03-04-10, 07:49 PM
joe@vwvortex

Bikes: Co-Motion Speedster Tandem, S-works 29r, Specialized Tarmac SL4

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our Avant works for us - this is my old Avant - but my new one is just a newer model which is about the same size. I use a Yakima sidewinder. I don't like having a bike in the car. Still had room for four and all the gear. Oh - it gets about 30mpg on the freeway without the bikes - about 25mpg with all of them on top.

Old 03-04-10, 11:40 PM
vorticity

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Went Back to a MiniVan

For years we were in the same boat as you: had the minivan, perfect for Tandem transport. Then 7 years ago we went away from it with a roof rack, then a DraftMaster rack behind the 4Runner. We just ordered a new Tandem and decided we don't want to deal with the weather and dirt on the bike. So we bought a used Toyota Sienna. ...full circle. What we will do to protect these puppies. Vort.
Old 03-05-10, 12:51 AM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DCwom
I really like the ease of popping off the front wheel and putting the tandem into the mini van, quick, painless, and weather proof, but we don't need a mini van anymore. I'm wondering what other vehicles make good candidates to transport an assembled (minus front wheel) tandem? I'm sure the key is in the seat layout.

I find my Honda Odyssey to be really useful. It is so nice to have the tandem inside so I don't have to worry. For example, next weekend we'll be at a hotel in Solvang with the tandem safely and discretely ensconced in the car. Combine with Saris rack, which keeps the bikes quite stable, and the Weathertech mat to keep the sync chain from staining the carpet. Having the tandem upright is really nice. It is hard outside a minivan to get this functionality. A Honda Element will fit a tandem, but isn't so nice to drive.

Last edited by Ritterview; 03-06-10 at 04:02 PM. Reason: Pic wasn't working
Old 03-05-10, 09:00 AM
barry.cohen

Bikes: Co-Motion Macchiato, LightSpeed Road Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We've been having a good experience with our '05 Mazda 6 Hatchback. We take both wheels off, put the rear triangle behind my wife and still have room for two airline size carry-ons, two backpacks and a crate for helmets, shoes, gloves, etc. I bought a piece of light weight carpet and cut it to fit the back to protect the back of the rear seats and the rest of the interior from the chain. Also use a Pedro's Chain holder to keep the chain from flopping around. I cover the whole thing with an old dark, blanket.
We can get the bike out and ready to roll in under five minutes.
We just came back from a 2 week trip with the bike in the car. It all seems to work fine.
Unfortunately, Mazda stopped making the 6 in a hatch. We're looking at the new Honda Crosstour and the similar Acura as options. I think the Mitsubishi Lancer Sportback might also work.
All this is because we won't drive anything that doesn't look and drive like a real sedan. We figure most of the time we use the vehicle it's not carrying a bike so it should be something we enjoy in that bike-less mode
Old 03-05-10, 01:12 PM
phoran

Bikes: Bianchi Veloce, Bianchi Milano, Giant Anthem 29

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about some love for Detroit?

My neighbors and I would really appreciate it if you would look at some American options. The Ford Flex and Edge are great to drive, and hold a lot. The new Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain are roomy for th3eir size SUV's. My Fiancee's Chrysler Town & Country minivan is feature packed and would easily hold a tandem or two.
As for me, i got rid of my station wagon, and bought a 2010 mustang GT convertible. hitch rack, and voila', instant TTV made right here by union labor in Flat Rock, Michigan.
Old 03-05-10, 01:51 PM
cornucopia72

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, why not. As long as price, quality, reliability are on par... and my tax dollars are not used to bail the companies/unions out, why not.
Old 03-05-10, 02:20 PM
phoran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The tax dollar argument goes both ways! you're an investor now! That's why i suggested the specific vehicles. they are great, and you can feel like a patriot!
Old 03-05-10, 03:53 PM
pathdoc
Hey let's ride.

Bikes: Torelli road bike, Tsunami tandem

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I am van lover. We've had 3 minivans in the past and now I just stepped up to a Chevy Hi top conversion van. I can fit anything it this beast.
Old 03-05-10, 04:20 PM
WebsterBikeMan

Bikes: Nishiki Continental, Bilenky custom travel tinker, home built winter bike based on Nashbar cross frrame

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phoran
My neighbors and I would really appreciate it if you would look at some American options. The Ford Flex and Edge are great to drive, and hold a lot. The new Chevy Equinox and GMC Terrain are roomy for th3eir size SUV's. My Fiancee's Chrysler Town & Country minivan is feature packed and would easily hold a tandem or two.
As for me, i got rid of my station wagon, and bought a 2010 mustang GT convertible. hitch rack, and voila', instant TTV made right here by union labor in Flat Rock, Michigan.
Fine for you to state your appreciation, but last I checked this was not an American forum. We welcome folks from all countries. While it may be dominated by Americans, let's try not to let it devolve into US-centric politics.
Old 03-05-10, 04:21 PM
phoran

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree. I never would have bought the Mustang if my fiance didn't have the minivan!
Old 03-06-10, 12:15 PM
PedalPink

Bikes: 2010 Calfee Tetra Tandem, 2005 Co-Motion Primera Co-Pilot, El Conquistador de Montanas, Schwinn Twin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We took our tandem with us when shopping for a new vehicle last year. We ended up with a Honda Element (color coordinated to match the bike) and love it. We rarely have passengers, so we removed the two rear seats. The inside holds our tandem and two single bikes (and a lot of gear); the roof rack holds our two kayaks. We would have liked a little better gas mileage, but we wanted the peace of mind of storing the bikes inside the vehicle. We must be a good ambassador for the Element - several of our friends have now purchased it, too.
Old 03-06-10, 12:45 PM
colotandem

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I guess we're the Detroit poster child... We use our Yukon Denali (04 model) with the seats folded down and our tandem fits similar to TG's truck - diagonal, but only need to take the front wheel off. I'll have to snap a photo next time we put the bike in there.

I will say that we have a tandem rack on my Subaru Outback, but the tandems get transported inside the Denali most of the time.
Old 03-06-10, 01:21 PM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by colotandem
I guess we're the Detroit poster child... We use our Yukon Denali (04 model) with the seats folded down and our tandem fits similar to TG's truck - diagonal, but only need to take the front wheel off.
Maybe.... Our last two Suburbans ('97LT & '02 Z71) were both made in GM's Silao plant in Mexico. Our Toyota Tundra, on the other hand, was made in Princeton, Indiana using a motor made in Huntsville, AL. Hence, the quandary most consumer find themselves in when attempting to be jingoistic in their buying habits.

However, at least we know where all of our past and current tandem frames were made....!!!

Claremont, California
Bedford, Pennsylvania
Seattle, Washington x 2
Rancho Cordova, California x 2
La Selva Beach, California
Old 03-06-10, 02:46 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Really like being able to put our tandem (with F wheel off) right down the middle of our 2001 Mazda MPV. My long wheelbase RANS V3 also fits down the middle without removing a wheel. But, when the minivan gives up the ghost, I'll look into something smaller. Already have a Thule tandem rack.
Old 03-06-10, 04:31 PM
uspspro
Tandem Mountain Climber

Bikes: Calfee Tandem, Litespeed Gravel, SuperSix Evo HM, Larry vs. Harry Bullitt (e-cargo)

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
As with the Honda Fit mentioned before, the (pre 09) Toyota Matrix can also take a tandem lengthwise with the driver and passenger sitting on the left side (F&R) of the vehicle.
Old 03-06-10, 07:30 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Our Honda station wagon was built in the rustbelt (Marysville, O) but the trans and tires came from Japan.
Hard to say anymore where anything is really 'made'.
Our Zona tandem utilized American made carbon fiber tubes and was built by a genuine American frame builder (Bob Davis, Peoria, AZ) and utilized American, Japanese, Taiwanese and Mexican made compoenents.
Asi es la vida!
Pedal on!
R & K/zonatandem
Old 03-06-10, 07:56 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by briwasson
Other vehicles we considered for tandem transport included...the Ford Flex.
The Ford Flex looks interesting for tandems, but you could back a tandem into it, and keep it upright?

The 2011 Honda Concept Odyssey introduced at the Chicago Auto Show looks nice to me, but I have a thing about minivans.

Last edited by Ritterview; 03-06-10 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-07-10, 05:30 PM
dvs cycles

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ritterview
The Ford Flex looks interesting for tandems, but you could back a tandem into it, and keep it upright?

The 2011 Honda Concept Odyssey introduced at the Chicago Auto Show looks nice to me, but I have a thing about minivans.

I looked at one of those at a car show and there is not that much height in the rear. 32 or 34" if I recall. I need 38" minimum for all my bikes with the seat on.
Old 03-07-10, 06:07 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dvs cycles
I looked at one of those at a car show and there is not that much height in the rear. 32 or 34" if I recall. I need 38" minimum for all my bikes with the seat on.
Ay, there's the rub. Sure in many cars such as the Flex, there might be the length to store a tandem, but have insufficient height to store upright. And not upright is a big compromise. In other cars such as crossover SUV's, there might be the height, but not the length. Cars with both tandem length and saddle clearing height are limited. These include minivans, large SUV's, the Honda Element and ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.