Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Your Oddball Shifter/Brake Configurations

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-19, 01:29 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

I searched a good long while on BF and couldn't find a thread devoted to modified, weird or "inverted" shifters and/or brakes. If you're like me, you think it's so cool when someone uses their ingenuity to solve a problem...without having to resort to buying all new parts (although that doesn't sound too bad).

So, if you've found that "sweet spot" with your bike's shifters or brakes (but it's not how the manufacturer intended), show them off here.

Here's mine...underbar mounted thumb shifters, a la Rivendell. Mine are Deore DX thumbies swapped left to right and mounted below the handlebar. The right side shifter still controls the rear and the left side controls the front. Of course, this only works in friction mode, which is fine by me. I did this so I could free up the top of my handlebar for resting my arms down (when grabbing the bar ends). Seems to work OK for now.

Last edited by steelrider58; 03-02-24 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-24-19, 10:43 AM
RideLugged

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
A roommate of mine who is mostly into MTB riding decided to get into road(ish) biking and configured the following setup:

A threaded quill stem and aluminum bullhorn bars are the foundation for all this. Reverse pull brake levers, which are common on bullhorns. At the 90 degree angle in the bullhorn he put some MTB bar ends (cut short) to mimic the feel of flat bars when not in pursuit position. Then flanking the stem on either side are interruptor levers to enable braking when in the "flat bar" position, a la MTB. Wrapped around the stem is a set of Shimano friction shift levers, also cut short.

Once I reach my 10 post minimum, I'll see if I can get a picture to really show off this one-of-a-kind setup. Oh, and the bars are a bright, deep blue anodized color which makes it that much more unique
Old 10-24-19, 11:00 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,376 Times in 891 Posts
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 10-24-19, 12:20 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
I also used the "Rivendell mount" for some Suntour thumbies:

Likes For noobinsf:
Old 10-24-19, 01:17 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
Does the Riv mount interfere with grip space when the shifter is pointed straight to the grip? My Paul thumbies have to be be spaced back when top mounted so the shifter doesn’t stab me when it’s pointed out. I’m curious if the bottom mount helps at all with this?
Old 10-24-19, 01:49 PM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 701 Posts
Originally Posted by amillhench
Does the Riv mount interfere with grip space when the shifter is pointed straight to the grip? My Paul thumbies have to be be spaced back when top mounted so the shifter doesn’t stab me when it’s pointed out. I’m curious if the bottom mount helps at all with this?
For me, since mine is a city bike, I shift the rear often enough that I like having my fingers hover over the shifter. So, even though the shifter is in the field of contact, I don't perceive it as obstructive. Even on the left/front, which does not move as often, the shifter only juts as far as my index finger and thumb in the "straight out" position, so I can let my fingers hover comfortably as well. It is a different feel from push/pull trigger shifters, which stay where your finger/thumb rest and provide a comfortable platform, but I am getting to really enjoy friction now that I have learned how to tune shifting and am using high quality friction derailleurs and shifters.

Last edited by noobinsf; 10-24-19 at 01:52 PM.
Old 10-24-19, 02:03 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1390 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 835 Posts
The brake lever configuration on my mountain bike is not unusual, but I do like the ability to operate the long motorcycle-style 4-finger brake levers with my 4th and 5th fingers while my hands are on the extensions.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 10-24-19, 02:43 PM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
I wish I had a picture of the set-up I rode with my left arm in a sling: 3x7 drivetrain with a brifter on the right to shift the rear and a DT shifter mounted on a Kelly Take-Off to shift the front with the right thumb. Actually worked pretty well.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 10-24-19, 02:57 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Here's my early 1990s Univega Via Carisma that's in a continuous state of flummox. I keep modifying and tweaking it every few months.

It began with a cockpit like this mixte version (not my photo), same flat bar and modular shifters that mounted to a metal plate on the brakes, rather than directly to the handlebar. The bike's component group was Shimano Exage (most of which later morphed into Deore -- the earlier Exage 500 CX long cage rear derailleur and later Deore LX are nearly identical, including model numbers).

But I'm not sure about the brake/shifter group -- it's Shimano but there's no model designation. Both sides indexed, thumb operated only. Unfortunately both shifters failed the same way about a year apart -- wear to pins and holes prevented reliable shifting. Disassembly, cleaning and relubing didn't help.

I used cheap SunRace SLM-10 friction thumb shifters for about a year, then switched to Shimano bar-end shifters -- friction for the front derailleur, index or friction for the rear. With the original 7-speed rear derailleur it'll cover an 8-speed 11-32 cassette in friction mode only, but won't hold the last click securely in indexed mode. With a 30T small chainring and 28T cog I rarely need the 32T cog anyway, even with the bike loaded with groceries.

I kept the brakes but the metal mounting plate for the original shifter no longer serves any purpose. I considered mounting lights to the plates but would need an adjustable mount like a ballhead to make it work. Eventually I'll replace the brakes with more streamlined levers.

Original setup, with indexed thumb shifters mounted to a plate attached to the brakes. That flat bar would be considered too narrow nowadays.

First variation back in 2016-2017, riser bar, same brake/shifter combo. The left shifter failed after a few months and was replaced by a friction shifter. Later I used the SunRace SLM-100 friction thumbies on both sides.

More or less the current setup since 2018. Nitto Albatross bar, original brakes, now with Shimano bar-end shifters. Very good setup for this bike, with long top tube and stretched out riding position with the original bars.

More or less the current setup since 2018. Nitto Albatross bar, original brakes, now with Shimano bar-end shifters. Very good setup for this bike, with long top tube and stretched out riding position with the original bars.

Old 10-24-19, 05:37 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
Nothing odd. but i really like thumb shifters on top (I have a 1x8 setup) totally easy to use very natural

Old 10-25-19, 02:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 986 Times in 519 Posts
I have one bike with wide bars, an Ultegra 10 speed flat bar rear shifter and brake levers with a Dura Ace DT front shifter.
Old 10-25-19, 02:52 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Not too oddball (to me) but you don’t see this arrangement all that often on a road bike:

This is the Accushift Command 7/8 speed shifter mated to an 8 speed cassette (all SunTour BTW) - shifts great. Also I mounted mine below, not above the brake lever for a racier look/feel and they are fine.

The housing was re-done by me, then had to be re-done again since it was about 1.5” too short, arghh!

I do like the Cane Creek aero levers and how positively they brake with the re-built 7403 dual pivots.
Old 10-27-19, 04:07 PM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
I finally remembered to post my oddball shifter config. When I did the drop bar conversion on my Trek 850 I decided to mount the thumbies on the drops - sort of a compromise between DT shifters and bar ends. I do have to reach a bit for them but I'm still right on the bars. I've ridden this bike a lot over the past couple of years and this position really works for me. I've not seen another like this.

These are 3x7 Deore indexed. Someone had pitched them into the garbage so I snagged em and restored. They work just fine, real well actually.

Lovely to be out in the Pennsylvania woods these days, hmmm? Oh, like my kids bike "clown horn"? It sure does get folks attention. I honked a women yesterday who jerked her head up and scanned the sky. I assume she thought it was a hawk or something. Dogs love this horn.
Likes For Prowler:
Old 11-02-19, 01:55 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Originally Posted by noobinsf
I also used the "Rivendell mount" for some Suntour thumbies:

Thanks for sharing this. I wasn't sure how this particular shifter would work as undermount. I am considering switching to the old power ratchets.
Old 11-02-19, 02:07 PM
steelrider58
NO LONGER A BF USER

Originally Posted by squirtdad
Nothing odd. but i really like thumb shifters on top (I have a 1x8 setup) totally easy to use very natural
Nice. 1x8 setups are underrated, IMO.

Last edited by steelrider58; 03-02-24 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-02-19, 02:23 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Suntour wishbone shifters, out on the barends, making the barends the main position.

controls on barends view from the saddle by Lester Luallin, on Flickr

controls on barends viewed from front of bike by Lester Luallin, on Flickr
Old 11-02-19, 04:55 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2607 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 933 Posts
I've got a few bikes with Command Shifters as well- these have been modified to 10s.

IMG_2402 by Dave The Golden Boy, on Flickr

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 11-02-19, 06:05 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
This is starting to come together, Dura Ace/Gevenalle Audax levers.

Old 11-02-19, 06:17 PM
Retoocs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Does Mavic Mektronic wireless shifters working with a Zap derailleur count?

Old 11-02-19, 06:26 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,089 Times in 637 Posts
Well, there's no telling what Sheldon Brown would have achieved by now, were it not for his very untimely passing. This contraption is a bit of a tribute to his inspiration, and to my roots. The refinished 81-speed SuperCourse (with remarkably few duplicate gearing combination as a 3x3x9) is a reality.

Old 11-02-19, 11:27 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I put a pair of downtube or stem mount shifters onto modified Suicide Brake lever protrusions where the Suicide Brake lever used to go.

Cheers
Old 11-03-19, 10:10 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
This has nothing unusual about the shifters, but here is a bike with a quirky brake setup. It might be hard to notice, so see if you can figure it out. The picture is from about 1982. The bike is a 70s Atala Competizione, repainted by Cyclart and built up by me.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-03-19, 10:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
This is as odd as I got and how I done got it...

Old 11-03-19, 10:42 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4677 Post(s)
Liked 5,790 Times in 2,279 Posts
From an old build. I've dealt with a pinched nerve in my neck for a long time, when I got back into cycling I used upright bars exclusively - holding my head up on rides would cause my arm to go numb. This on an early 70's Raleigh International:

As I rode more I found that the pinched nerve to somehow start "healing." It's interesting that the cure and rehab for most injuries the past few decades is to get on my bike, and everything got drop bars from then on. I'd always been intrigued by SunTour Command shifters, but putting them below the brake levers meant having to bend over into the drops to shift. If you put them above the brake levers, they're right at your fingertips when riding the hoods, but interfere with aero cable routing. No problem, there's a solution for that:

Old 11-03-19, 12:52 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
From an old build. I've dealt with a pinched nerve in my neck for a long time, when I got back into cycling I used upright bars exclusively - holding my head up on rides would cause my arm to go numb. This on an early 70's Raleigh International:

As I rode more I found that the pinched nerve to somehow start "healing." It's interesting that the cure and rehab for most injuries the past few decades is to get on my bike, and everything got drop bars from then on. I'd always been intrigued by SunTour Command shifters, but putting them below the brake levers meant having to bend over into the drops to shift. If you put them above the brake levers, they're right at your fingertips when riding the hoods, but interfere with aero cable routing. No problem, there's a solution for that:

Do you ride that bike with the quick-release on the brake lever engaged like in your photo?

Cheers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.