Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Indoor Trainer Tire

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Indoor Trainer Tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-19, 06:51 PM
kroney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Indoor Trainer Tire

I'm going to buy a trainer tire because I don't have any old ones laying around.

I have 700c wheels with an internal width of 19mm. The charts that I've seen say that on the road it's safe to run 28mm to 42mm tires. The options for indoor tires are 23mm or 32mm. Would the 23mm tire be more efficient on the trainer than the 32mm? I imagine that the 23mm would be fine indoors since there's no handling involved.
Old 11-12-19, 02:08 PM
peter_d
self propelled lifer

Bikes: 1962 Dawes Galaxy; 72 Gitane Interclub;73 Peugeot PR10;78 Torpado Luxe;73 Grandis; 81 Raleigh/Carlton Comp; 85 Bianchi Stelvio; 87 Bianchi Brava; 73 Bottechia Special; 1969 or70 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure most people use 23 or 25mm trainer tires inflated to at least 100psi
Likes For peter_d:
Old 11-12-19, 03:19 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
For the trainer, go as narrow as you can and pump it up as hard as your tire and rim can take. I bet if you ask around your local shops or racers you know have some old slicks that are too worn for the road, but still have lots of trainer miles left in'em.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 11-12-19, 03:46 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
On my Cycleops magnetic trainer (metal roller) I use Continental Ultra Sport II, the same tires I ride outdoors with. I've used 700x23, 700x25, folding and wire bead versions. No problems. That includes interval training with short bursts up to 160+rpm for 10-15 seconds. The tires show normal wear, no signs of failure.

And I mean I use the same tires -- not the same model -- on the same wheels, outdoors and on the Cycleops trainer. I planned to dedicate the 700x25 wire bead tire and one wheel to just the trainer, but it wasn't necessary.

FWIW, I weigh 150 lbs. I use the normal wheel tension per the Cycleops tutorial. Conti Ultra Sport II are slicks with some vestigial treadlike chevron shaped patterns on the shoulders that Conti claims helps with traction on wet roads. Dunno, I avoid cornering hard on wet roads. They're great tires on most pavement and outstanding values. Not the lightest and fastest rolling, but tough, not sluggish, and better than anything else that costs only $15 or so per tire.

No idea whether my experience would apply to regular rollers or plastic rollers.

Regarding wheel/tire sizing, the main influence is on handling. Not an issue on the trainer. As long as the tire is within the rim's generous fit range and won't blow off the rim, it should be fine.
Old 11-13-19, 04:32 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I go by the guidelines that the trainer manufacturers give. That seems to be that if you are on 23mm tires, run 100-100 psi.

I run 32 mm on the bike in the trainer, and the Saris guideline for bigger tires is "When it comes to pounds per square inch (PSI) recommendations, we suggest inflating your tire to the low-to-mid range listed on the tire wall." After finally wearing out an old tire, I bought a Continental 32mm trainer tire that has an inflation range of 85 - 102 psi. I'm running them at 90, no slip, no wear.
Old 11-22-19, 10:19 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
go to the wanted section or local bike forums asking for free used tires.
Would either be a short drive or under $10 shipping for two folding tires.
Likes For qclabrat:
Old 11-22-19, 10:22 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 444 Post(s)
Liked 844 Times in 408 Posts
why would one want to be highly efficient on a trainer?
Old 11-25-19, 05:24 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
Two reasons I care:
  1. Inefficient from a tire perspective on an indoor trainer means a lot of rubber dust/mess.
  2. Same reason I adjust my brakes on my bike if they rub on outdoor training rides. I like to correlate my heart rate and power output with speed and distance, not wear and tear!
Old 11-29-19, 09:33 AM
freakylipsey

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jpescatore
Two reasons I care:
  1. Inefficient from a tire perspective on an indoor trainer means a lot of rubber dust/mess.
  2. Same reason I adjust my brakes on my bike if they rub on outdoor training rides. I like to correlate my heart rate and power output with speed and distance, not wear and tear!
I really like them.
Old 11-29-19, 06:48 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I use a 25 pumped up to 100 at least. then do the trainer calibration. That gets me the best accurate numbers on my Kinetic.

Handles my large butt doing intervals and sprints with no issue.
Old 12-05-19, 10:13 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
I use an old 23 mm Gatorskin pumped up to 100 psi. Seems to work fine, though after a couple of winters it's now got a huge flat contact patch. The tire was probably road-worthy when I started, except that I no longer like to ride outdoors with Gatorskins (I prefer Conti 4 seasons for my flat protection/performance compromise, but that's another story). Now I doubt it would be usable outside. I'll keep using it until I wear through it.

Has that happened to anybody on a trainer? i.e. wearing through an old tire to the point where it deflated during a workout? It would make for a surprising experience, I'd think.
Old 12-05-19, 11:28 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
Has that happened to anybody on a trainer? i.e. wearing through an old tire to the point where it deflated during a workout? It would make for a surprising experience, I'd think.
I blew out an old road tire on the trainer a few winters ago. I was doing intervals, and a small tear in the tread allowed the tube to pooch just enough to blow. Sounded like someone shot a 22 in the living room. I laughed about it once my HR slowed down.

BB

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 12-05-19, 02:51 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4368 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
I blew out an old road tire on the trainer a few winters ago. I was doing intervals, and a small tear in the tread allowed the tube to pooch just enough to blow. Sounded like someone shot a 22 in the living room. I laughed about it once my HR slowed down.

BB
Haha, I'm sure it was kind of a shock.

(The living room? I'm guessing you are an apartment dweller and also maybe a bachelor? There's no way my wife would let me set up a trainer in the living room. It stays in the basement. Fortunately, the basement is also generally 57-63 °F, and as we all know, cool is good. Though I still need a fan.)
Old 12-05-19, 03:15 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I use an old 23 mm Gatorskin pumped up to 100 psi. Seems to work fine, though after a couple of winters it's now got a huge flat contact patch. The tire was probably road-worthy when I started, except that I no longer like to ride outdoors with Gatorskins (I prefer Conti 4 seasons for my flat protection/performance compromise, but that's another story). Now I doubt it would be usable outside. I'll keep using it until I wear through it.

After an injury last year I mostly used the indoor trainer for a few months with the same Continental Ultra Sport II tires I rode outside. After awhile the rear tire developed that distinctive flat wear pattern.

But after a few rides outdoors on the same tire it evened out. Still plenty of wear on it judging from the wear indicator holes.

I prefer riding on Conti Grand Prix Classics, nice 700x25 skinwalls at a reasonable price, somewhere between the cost of Ultra Sport II and Grand Prix 4ks or 5k, but a nice compromise for chipseal and rough pavement. Durable too. I have 'em on the old Trek 5900. But I'm still using Ultra Sport II on the steel Centurion Ironman, both outdoors and on the indoor trainer.