Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Flat bar gravel bike using 1x mtb groupsets

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 12-26-19, 02:52 PM
kroney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm modernizing an old Trek 750 into a 1x flat bar gravel bike. I haven't found any information about MTB 1x groupsets being used with larger CX chainrings, can't even find a picture of a set up like that.

I'm thinking about using the Shimano SLX M7000 GS derailleur with a 11-46 tooth cassette. I want a 42t chainring to offer reasonable top speed on the road and offer a sub 1:1 ratio for climbing. Any reason this wouldn't be advised?
Old 12-26-19, 05:00 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Make sure your frame can clear the 42T chainring in the front. Often this might require a boost crank or crimped seat stay. Other options are running a 10-42T or 9-42T in the back
Old 12-27-19, 04:28 PM
kroney

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I didn't even think of that, but you are right. The frame will have clearance issues for a chainring that large. Right now it's a 3x upfront with 22-32-42 chainrings. I was assuming that the 1x chainring would be positioned similarly to the middle chainring on the 3x. Are trial and error the only way to determine chainring fit?