Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A very little girl…A very small beginning.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-20, 12:38 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts

Sorry, I know, no drive side picture....

While introduced in the early 2000s this is both a vintage as a first of kind and I believe a break through bike.

It is of course an “Early Rider” balance bike and as near as I have found sort of a rarity with the “Pink” seat cover, and yes she’s a two year old granddaughter, and there’s a lot of room to drop the seat and get the fit right.

Other than a cleanup and having the bearings in the axels lubricated I will leave this stock. It has that great used, but loved by a child feel to it. Few scratches and nothing broken. Even the rubber bumper handlebar grips are still soft and not torn or cracked.
Likes For since6:
Old 01-07-20, 12:42 PM
since6

It's funny, for a production bike, there's hidden touches of quality.

Fork ends that are finished with a very nice radius, rather than just left as blunt square corners.

Felt bumpers in the head tube.

Seat and fender details.

Old 01-07-20, 12:46 PM
since6

Then there's this, a real surprise. As I ran my finger over the flame side panels, there was an edge.

Yes these panels were stamped and then a veneer insert of the flame design inserted into the stamping. This isn't paint or a decal, it appears to be a real wood veneer insert.

Color me impressed.

Similarly, on the, ahem, "chain stay", the "Early Rider" isn't just inked on the wood, but was also first stamped and then inked in.

Last edited by since6; 01-07-20 at 12:50 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 12:47 PM
since6

She is the last one of four sisters, her oldest sister got her Grandfather bike two years ago, and her two other older sisters will get their Grandfather bicycles when they visit from France this summer, and all I could see was sad eyes when there was none for her.

Now I await the gift of the look on her face and in her eyes when she sees her first bike.

Priceless.
Likes For since6:
Old 01-07-20, 12:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
all I can say is those grandkids have a fantastic grandfather

Old 01-07-20, 01:09 PM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 179 Posts
Looks like a miniature Fat Bike. Awesome way to learn to ride.
Old 01-07-20, 01:30 PM
SurferRosa
seńor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
​​​​Next thing you know, she'll be getting arrested for parading without a permit in New Mexico. Tell her to watch out for rednecks...
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-07-20, 01:35 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
That's wood inlay and may be more complex than you realize. The little logo in the middle of the flame; does it have the look of the same grain as the frame piece continued past the flame, or does it look like a second insert of different wood? Imagine the steps required for one version, then the other. I would guess different grain, different light-colored piece.

Really neat little bike.
Then there's this, a real surprise. As I ran my finger over the flame side panels, there was an edge.

Yes these panels were stamped and then a veneer insert of the flame design inserted into the stamping. This isn't paint or a decal, it appears to be a real wood veneer insert.

Old 01-07-20, 01:51 PM
IAmSam

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 136 Posts
Soon...

Old 01-07-20, 02:13 PM
BFisher

Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Steel is real, but wood is good!

I know this will give both you and her big, big smiles.

Love it.
Old 01-07-20, 03:37 PM
since6

Thanks all, I'll look closer at the wood veneers to see if I can see the grain.

When they grow up I hope to pass on several of my smaller steel frame bikes such as my 72 Katakura-Silk Nishiki Professional, 76-77 Tommasini Prestige, Panasonic Team America Custom.

My plan is to down size my collection to grandsons/granddaughters as they show interest/desire. The best way for a bike to grow old.

Meanwhile it keeps me training as I'll have a passel of grandchildren to keep up with this summer and then a year from now in France on our tandem.
Old 01-07-20, 03:46 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Cool.
Better buy her an Ironman now.
Old 01-07-20, 04:28 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Cool.
Better buy her an Ironman now.
I know a guy who can fix you up LOL

Old 01-07-20, 07:22 PM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Color me impressed.

Similarly, on the, ahem, "chain stay", the "Early Rider" isn't just inked on the wood, but was also first stamped and then inked in.

borrowed one of these 10+ yrs ago, thought those markings were laser engravings
Old 01-07-20, 11:05 PM
since6

Tamiya I don't know how the surface layer of plywood was removed so that the dark wood appears in the marine grade plywood, but when I looked closely again, I could easily see and feel in places the edge/lip where the top layer of the plywood had been cut away and then the dark work put in place. You can just feel the edge between the blonde wood and the dark wood in places where the dark wood is not flush with the light colored wood and that slight edge/lip remains.

It makes me think of what we called a "Raymond(?)" machines in the plywood mill I worked in summers during college. This machine would stamp down removing from a sheet of plywood veneer a knot hole replacing it with a clear wood biscuit, upgrading the grade of the plywood sheet. But in the case of this balance bike only the surface layer of the plywood has been removed with the dark wood put in its place.

The light wood design inside the dark wood is another mystery as I cannot feel a lip between it and the dark wood, perhaps the dark wood with light wood in it was a pre-made insert?

As with all vintage things, always some mystery.
Old 01-07-20, 11:10 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Be sure to get the serial no. for T-Mar

There’s a smaller trike version that converts to a bike, and a tadpole bakfiets that looks like a hoot. Just the thing for a kid to fill with sticks and rocks
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-07-20, 11:14 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts
the girl in this one rocks it.

Old 01-07-20, 11:16 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
Didn't read every word, but - Is that a recent CL acquisition? edit: the one i've been watchin is still there.

I need to buy one soon. First birthday in 6 weeks. Maybe we get her on skis this year, too.

Last edited by Wildwood; 01-08-20 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-07-20, 11:28 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 1609 Post(s)
Liked 2,590 Times in 1,224 Posts
My son in law, running like he was being chased by a bear down a hill, catching up with my grandson as he did a little half slide in the dirt. What's the problem, dad? Lol, I was impressed.
Old 01-08-20, 07:58 AM
Tamiya

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Tamiya I don't know how the surface layer of plywood was removed so that the dark wood appears in the marine grade plywood, but when I looked closely again, I could easily see and feel in places the edge/lip where the top layer of the plywood had been cut away and then the dark work put in place. You can just feel the edge between the blonde wood and the dark wood in places where the dark wood is not flush with the light colored wood and that slight edge/lip remains.

It makes me think of what we called a "Raymond(?)" machines in the plywood mill I worked in summers during college. This machine would stamp down removing from a sheet of plywood veneer a knot hole replacing it with a clear wood biscuit, upgrading the grade of the plywood sheet. But in the case of this balance bike only the surface layer of the plywood has been removed with the dark wood put in its place.

The light wood design inside the dark wood is another mystery as I cannot feel a lip between it and the dark wood, perhaps the dark wood with light wood in it was a pre-made insert?

As with all vintage things, always some mystery.
follow the grain, is usually a good tip.

With the tank flame... pic looks like the grain runs thru the darker wood...? It would be near impossible to cut a veneer with exactly the same grain to matchup at every junction.

On a used bike, I'd say it'll have fair chance of having seen rain or needed mud/dirt washed off. Even with marine-grade beech Imho glued on pieces of wood will eventually peel off or shrink leaving gaps at the joins.

Laser can be programmed to engrave (=char) just on the surface or they can burn to a specified depth, or all the way through if you want it cut. Lasers also cut with negligible swarf so they can do fine detail... but the big telltale is they'll char every edge they've cut. If you don't like the look of the charring you'll need to shave or sand it off afterwards.

Woodworking laser cutters (well "affordable" ones) appeared in the 1990s afaik so they've been around a while.
Old 01-08-20, 10:05 AM
since6

Thanks for tutorial Tamiya, and after looking I could not see char on the edge, but you make a good point about moisture and raising veneer and/or splitting glue joints with micro cracks from impact. So I'll start some research on what could be put over the existing finish like a clear coat on a steel frame to create a new moisture barrier.

Any suggestions from forum members/wooden boat owners very welcome. I did contact Early Riders and it will be interesting to see what they recommend as I'm sure not to be the first to have raised this question.

Wildwood no this isn't the CL it came up on Shopgoodwill so yours is still in play.

LOL serial number, I'll look

Loved the racing and yes we have several families with these bikes and the balance bike siblings more than keep up with their pedaling siblings, at least on the flats, now hills, that could be a different proposition. Along with stopping

Last edited by since6; 01-08-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 01-08-20, 12:50 PM
squirtdad

Thanks for tutorial Tamiya, and after looking I could not see char on the edge, but you make a good point about moisture and raising veneer and/or splitting glue joints with micro cracks from impact. So I'll start some research on what could be put over the existing finish like a clear coat on a steel frame to create a new moisture barrier.

Any suggestions from forum members/wooden boat owners very welcome. I did contact Early Riders and it will be interesting to see what they recommend as I'm sure not to be the first to have raised this question.

Wildwood no this isn't the CL it came up on Shopgoodwill so yours is still in play.

LOL serial number, I'll look

Loved the racing and yes we have several families with these bikes and the balance bike siblings more than keep up with their pedaling siblings, at least on the flats, now hills, that could be a different proposition. Along with stopping
outdoor rated, waterbased poly urethane, in several thin coats would be my recommendation. I like Varathane brand
LIght sand as prep
waterbased as it is much easier to work with, especially with multiple coats, drys fast and way less smell, over all much better result IMHO

I use this approach on longboard skateboards I have made from Finnish plywood and Maply/walnut glued

Old 01-08-20, 04:40 PM
since6

Thanks squirtdad I will check your suggestions out.
Old 01-08-20, 05:48 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts

Sorry, I know, no drive side picture....
Um, that _is_ the drive side, isn't it? (As well as the other side, that is?)
Old 01-08-20, 10:54 PM
since6

Yes Madpogue I was just having fun and pulling your leg, as the video of the little girl racers show these balance bikes have bi-lateral drive sides and WOW do those little girls make them GO.

Wife and I had quite a chuckle watching them, could just see the youngest going for broke to keep up with big sisters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.