Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

How did "vintage" cyclists climb hills?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

How did "vintage" cyclists climb hills?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 06:53 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by no67el
1). When I switch from my modern/carbon bike (50/34 and 11-32) to one of my old steel bikes (usually 53/39 and 12-26 or 12-28), I often set a couple of Strava PR's going up my regular hills! I figure that the older gearing setups force me to climb more aggressively, just in order to stay on top of the heavier gear...
YES!

I have had the same experience! My 2014 carbon bike weighs 19 pounds ready to ride, and my 1973 Raleigh Super Course weighs 29 pounds ready to ride, but somehow I PR'd some strava segments on the Raleigh on climbs that I was previously going "full blast" up on my Carbon bike. So, I was hauling an additional 10 pounds up the hill and still did it faster with the taller gearing of the old bike? I was perplexed to see that result, but also quite happy to see that an old lower end steel bike can smash hills with aplomb despite being old and heavier.
Old 12-11-20, 08:44 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
I always wondered this too, more so when I am riding and shifting with my down tube shifters. I've been using these for 30+ years so very comfortable with the mechanics of it but always wonder how easy they would be to user in a race? What would I do when I suddenly had to sprint and how awkward it would be to reach down and shift?
Brifters offer a huge advantage on terrain that demands lots of shifting to maintain momentum and conserve energy. I realized that pretty quickly on fast group rides where I was the only guy with downtube shifters. Little gaps kept opening on every sprint-climb -- those short, steep climbs typical of Texas rolling terrain. The sit-to-shift, stand-to-sprint catchup, etc., game was wearing out my legs quicker.

Depending on the group and leader, rather than maintaining a steady effort to keep the group and paceline together, some folks always turn every hill into a sprint to drop everyone else. Some ride leaders don't do that so the paceline stays intact. But it depends on whether the leader has any race experience. It's mostly the non-racer types who have a good sprint but mediocre bike handling skills who keep breaking up the line with unnecessary sprints and surges.

I was usually the oldest in those groups and it was a struggle to keep up with my Ironman using downtube shifters. I'd be fine on flat terrain and downhills. These same folks who sprint up every climb tend to loaf on flat terrain and coast downhill, rather than maintaining a steady effort.

When I got a bike with brifters I discovered I could shift while standing during climbs. No need to sit, reach down to shift, stand again, etc. No need to continued grinding the big gear I was in at the bottom of the climb, in order to avoid that split second of momentum loss, while killing the legs quicker.

And on days with heavy crosswind, it's much more reassuring to keep both hands on the handlebar while shifting. I've done some rides on my steel bike with downtube shifters when I'd avoid reaching down to shift due to heavy crosswind, so I'd be grinding in a ridiculous gear, or spinning like an eggbeater.

I still love my steel bike with downtube shifters and ride it about a third of the time. And it's often on my indoor trainer for easy spins to keep the legs limber and cool down after a hard workout ride or jog. I plan to keep at least one steel bike with downtube shifters, although I might switch that Ironman back to friction shifters for more flexibility with different wheelsets using freewheels by SunRace, Suntour and Shimano. The Suntour GPX index shifter is nice, but I was already accustomed to friction downtube shifters since using 'em in the 1970s.

But for fast group rides, brifters can really help, especially trying to keep up with younger, stronger riders to avoid getting gapped and losing the draft. My main reason for switching to an older carbon fiber bike with brifters was so the group didn't feel obligated to wait for the slowpoke old man at the top of every climb at 5-10 mile intervals. I didn't want to wear out my welcome.

At the moment I have some inexpensive but functional MicroShift 7-speed integrated shifters/brakes (separate levers, the brake lever is for braking only; unlike the Shimano STI integrated shifters/brakes) on one carbon fiber bike. And I plan to put a set of older 8-speed Shimano STI brifters on another. Those bikes are light enough that I can get by with a 23T or, at most, 25T rear cog. But I prefer at least a 25 on my Ironman, and one wheelset has a 13-28 for easier rides when I don't feel like making it a workout.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-12-20, 03:08 PM
cyclic_eric

Bikes: 1984 Gitane TdF, 1986 Look Équipe, 1983 Colnago Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 80 Posts
Some of the explanation can be put down to positioning, with knees nearly hitting handlebar tops and full body weight assisting.

As was suggested earlier, I believe some of the challenge of riding those gears helped popularize mountain and hybrid bikes.
Likes For cyclic_eric:
Old 12-12-20, 04:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I lived in the mountains so I always ran a 13-21 cassette with 54/44 crank. For winter training, i would go to a 24 in the back. No reason to over-stress the knees.

If you watch old videos of racing, they likely would have been faster with lower gears. And if it got really steep, someone with a triple could have cleaned up. I recall that touring bikes could get a 34 tooth low gear freewheels. But I think most people that did serious touring had a TA triple. Campagnolo's triple had a 34 tooth small chainring, so it was pretty worthless. My granny gear on the tandem was 34 front, 24 rear.
Old 12-12-20, 05:07 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I lived in the mountains so I always ran a 13-21 cassette with 54/44 crank. For winter training, i would go to a 24 in the back. No reason to over-stress the knees.

If you watch old videos of racing, they likely would have been faster with lower gears. And if it got really steep, someone with a triple could have cleaned up. I recall that touring bikes could get a 34 tooth low gear freewheels. But I think most people that did serious touring had a TA triple. Campagnolo's triple had a 34 tooth small chainring, so it was pretty worthless. My granny gear on the tandem was 34 front, 24 rear.

I question whether racers would have gone faster with lower gears. The energy required to climb a particular hill remains the same - a given amount of mass to be lifted a given distance, etc.. The rate at which that energy must be expended is determined by the speed and, consequently, the amount of time that the given climb takes. Lower gears won't alter the total energy required but they will allow the rider to make the climb at a lower speed while maintaining a more comfortable cadence, slowing the rate at which energy is expended. I think the preference for lower gears has its genesis in comfort rather than speed - easier not faster.
Likes For daka:
Old 12-12-20, 06:21 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
I question whether racers would have gone faster with lower gears. The energy required to climb a particular hill remains the same - a given amount of mass to be lifted a given distance, etc.. The rate at which that energy must be expended is determined by the speed and, consequently, the amount of time that the given climb takes. Lower gears won't alter the total energy required but they will allow the rider to make the climb at a lower speed while maintaining a more comfortable cadence, slowing the rate at which energy is expended. I think the preference for lower gears has its genesis in comfort rather than speed - easier not faster.
If the gear is merely high enough to force a bigger effort than desired, sure: racers might conserve on the flats and do bigger efforts on the hills, and perhaps go faster on the ascents as a consequence.

But that's not the only thing seen in old racing videos. On the steeper ascents, they're sometimes just plain horribly bottomed out, pedaling really slowly and throwing their weight all over the place to keep the gears turning. Power is torque*cadence; if you're bottlenecked on pedaling torque and your cadence is extremely low, your power output goes down.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-12-20, 06:27 PM
leftthread

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
...but this often thrown around idea that athletes today are faster and stronger is highly debatable.
Yes, just look how long the long jump records for Bob Beamon, Mike Powell and Jackie Joyner-Kersey have stood.
Likes For leftthread:
Old 12-12-20, 08:12 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
If the gear is merely high enough to force a bigger effort than desired, sure: racers might conserve on the flats and do bigger efforts on the hills, and perhaps go faster on the ascents as a consequence.

But that's not the only thing seen in old racing videos. On the steeper ascents, they're sometimes just plain horribly bottomed out, pedaling really slowly and throwing their weight all over the place to keep the gears turning. Power is torque*cadence; if you're bottlenecked on pedaling torque and your cadence is extremely low, your power output goes down.
Some caution is appropriate here - if we use the term "torque * cadence" as corollary of "torque * rpm" equaling horsepower in an internal combustion engine we can be mislead. While an internal combustion engine produces zero torque at stall (0 rpm) the human body is better compared to a steam engine which can produce max torque at stall.

The limit, which I think you are referring to as "bottlenecking" is when the torque required at the rear wheel to propel bike and rider forward up a steep hill cannot be provided by max. torque of the rider diminished by the gear ratio of the drivetrain (every gear on a vintage road bike being some variant of overdrive). Lower gears (less overdrive) do indeed increase torque at the rear wheel at the expense of less forward progress per revolution of the crankset.
Likes For daka:
Old 12-12-20, 08:41 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Some caution is appropriate here - if we use the term "torque * cadence" as corollary of "torque * rpm" equaling horsepower in an internal combustion engine we can be mislead. While an internal combustion engine produces zero torque at stall (0 rpm) the human body is better compared to a steam engine which can produce max torque at stall.
I'm not saying that the torque goes down with cadence. I'm saying that, when you're badly bottomed-out, you can't increase it in proportion to the loss of cadence. And that this causes a loss of power. It's not like cyclists can push much harder on the cranks at 25rpm than at 50rpm; and if your cadence drops in half and you can only produce a tiny bit more torque, then your power has been cut nearly in half.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 12-12-20, 09:00 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 219 Posts
My first "real" bike was a Cannondale with 52/42 chainrings and a 12-21 seven speed cassette. That bike is still at my parents house and I recently road it and I can't believe people road bikes like this. It was just plain painful. But in 1990, I I road that bike everywhere and never really thought about it.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 12-12-20, 10:24 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
My bike BITD had I think 52/39, & probably 23 in the back- possibly 25. Coast range, Rockies, (lightly) loaded touring, everywhere.

The only time I recall walking was in a section being paved with deep, soft gravel.

Now I'm happy with 34/34.
Old 12-13-20, 01:01 AM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
It was all they had at that time, and at that time it was the best they could get. If you could race it, you raced it. If you couldn't you watched. It's pretty much been that way with everything that has been used as a tool for racing, bicycles, cars, motorcycles, airplanes, boats, you name it. Looking back at what was used in the past you scratch your head and wonder what they were thinking and how could they do it?

It was all they had at that time, and it was the best they could get.

We have the choice now, so you see retro-mod. classic sports/muscle cars with suspensions and brakes that actually work and engines that don't blow up, same is true in retro mod bicycles, sure some of us just as back then, can still ride killer hills on the race bikes of the past, but no one races on them now, because they are no longer the best you can get.

Though it is fun to go to vintage car races, until someone shows up with a vintage car with a ?vintage? sixties Corvette with an 800 hp engine.
Likes For since6:
Old 12-13-20, 01:29 AM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by conspiratemus1
Amphetamines, mostly, then. They dull pain as well as fatigue if you’re high enough. They’re why modern meth-heads don’t go down with Tasering, and have to be shot.
Federico Bahamontes (scrawny climber aka "The Eagle of Toledo") used to say that he loved the hot days in the mountains because they weeded out the dopers. Amphetamines were apparently bloody murder in the heat (almost literally -- see Simpson, Tommy). "Weeding out the dopers" sounds so quaint these days.
Old 12-13-20, 08:19 AM
sheddle

Bikes: my precious steel boys

Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked 603 Times in 359 Posts
As someone very much not built like a modern climber, higher geared, out-of-the-saddle with full weight assistance is generally my preferred way to get up steep bits, though I've never actually gone out of the city to do like, an "actual" mountain pass. Probably explains why I generally like that sort of older-style, saddle-rails-at-stem-height fit.

Also I get to pretend I'm in a 1960s TDF newsreel or something.
Likes For sheddle:
Old 12-13-20, 08:59 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,793 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by sheddle
older-style, saddle-rails-at-stem-height fit.

Also I get to pretend I'm in a 1960s TDF newsreel or something.
Didn't happen then, doesn't happen now.

1934 Bartali.

Coppi/Contador comparison

Merrckx

Likes For iab:
Old 12-13-20, 09:30 AM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Thinking back to the days of the Presque Isle Bicycle Club (Erie, PA 1972-77), the "standard" road bike available at the time (think Raleigh Grand Prix) came with a 42-52t cottered crank, 14-28t five speed freewheel, and no Internet to do your shopping. Which meant your local bicycle dealer probably carried 14-30 and 14-32 clusters in stock, although that would also mean replacing the Simplex Prestige on the rear with a Sun Tour GT. A fair amount of bucks for the average rider who'd already spent $125.00 on that bike.

If you wanted to do serious gearing changes to your bike, you first found out from the other guys who did mail order and was reliable, then either borrowed one of their catalogs or ordered your own, then ordered the necessary parts. Which is to say, usually, anything more than that simple freewheel/rear derailleur change was something planned out over about three weeks. Changing chainwheels was fairly well unknown until Sugino showed up on the scene. Yes, there were T/A's available, but nobody in Erie sold bikes that used them, so nobody carried any parts for them in stock.

You had a good climbing bikes if you could do the once a month Presque Isle State Park ride without over stressing yourself. A 17 mile absolutely flat loop, with a 1/2 mile hors catagorie climb from hell to get back out of the park and one the roads back into town.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 12-13-20, 11:21 AM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by sincos
Federico Bahamontes (scrawny climber aka "The Eagle of Toledo") used to say that he loved the hot days in the mountains because they weeded out the dopers. Amphetamines were apparently bloody murder in the heat (almost literally -- see Simpson, Tommy). "Weeding out the dopers" sounds so quaint these days.
Acidosis (the accumulation of metabolic acids, chiefly lactic,) from dehydration and exhausting exercise makes the heart more “twitchy” to the effects of these adrenaline-like drugs, which are additive to the adrenaline already being produced anyway. Cardiac arrest can result. “Positional asphyxia”, (as in prone handcuffing) a forensic term with no direct meaning in ordinary clinical medicine, is said to increase further the risk of sudden death, especially if the person has also taken opiates, intentionally or unwittingly. Defibrillation of the severely acidotic heart is not often successful. Yes, speed kills.

(Cocaine, especially with tobacco, causes cholesterol plaque buildup in the coronary arteries much faster than expected for a young person, so yet another dumb way to die.)

So I can understand that hot weather would weed out the dopers by killing them, as it did Simpson, but how the heat would cause users of meth to fall behind and abandon non-fatally I don’t quite understand. Would it be that meth goes only so far to hide inadequate training and genetic endowment, and when it got hot enough, only the clean guys could keep the pace?

Last edited by conspiratemus1; 12-13-20 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Put last sentence in past tense to make it clear I was referring to “old-fashioned” dope.
Old 12-13-20, 02:45 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by since6
We have the choice now, so you see retro-mod. classic sports/muscle cars with suspensions and brakes that actually work and engines that don't blow up, same is true in retro mod bicycles, sure some of us just as back then, can still ride killer hills on the race bikes of the past, but no one races on them now, because they are no longer the best you can get.

Though it is fun to go to vintage car races, until someone shows up with a vintage car with a ?vintage? sixties Corvette with an 800 hp engine.
Which is why I've been hard core conservative on the vintage vehicle front (automobiles, motorcycles, bicycles) since I started in the antique car hobby with the AACA back in 1968. While I can appreciate hot rods as a separate entity (and like them), anyone who calls a resto-rod (in any category: resto-rod automobiles, modified motorcycles, vintage frames with modern components) an "antique" gets my scorn. Just because it looks like original doesn't mean you're getting the original experience or understanding the original performance. Happily, bicycles are the easiest to put right. What I've seen at some Cars & Coffees is enough to make me cry . . . . . and want to take a length of 2x4 to the owner.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 12-14-20, 09:17 AM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by leftthread
Yes, just look how long the long jump records for Bob Beamon, Mike Powell and Jackie Joyner-Kersey have stood.
Exactly. My default for those statements is indeed always the track & field (or 'athletics') results. And they pretty much speak for themselves, even when you take into account the numerous factors at play (doping, access to coaching and facilities...)
Old 12-14-20, 12:19 PM
moto635

Bikes: 1974 Peugeot U08

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
[QUOTE=texaspandj;21827372
Possibly I was tougher but for certain I was younger.[/QUOTE]

The older I get the faster I went 😂
Likes For moto635:
Old 12-14-20, 01:05 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
They used to walk
Old 12-14-20, 01:15 PM
sfruechte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Probably a combination of fitter, thinner and sometimes getting off and pushing.
Old 12-14-20, 01:52 PM
brown6054

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bitd

In the 70s my smallest gear was 42x18; but that was in the Midwest where most, but all roads are pretty flat. We never walked uphill with those deep cleats.
Not great for the knees but we managed somehow. The trick was try to make it look easy by staying in saddle as long as possible.
Old 12-14-20, 02:01 PM
Stan Heinricher

Bikes: 1978 Serotta road bike, 2011 Dahon 7-speed

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
My cycling goes back to the mid-70s, when you could readily buy individual sprockets from Bike Warehouse for your Sun Tour 5-speed freewheel and somewhat easily customize your freewheel to suit the conditions you rode in. If you needed to remain seated while climbing a steep hill, like those old farm-road hills in western PA that never were graded by the US Army Corps of Engineers, you might equip yourself with a 26-tooth low sprocket for your racing bike. 42x26 was suitable gearing for any hill I encountered. Why would you choose to remain on the saddle when climbing a steep hill in summer? Because the tar on the road was melting, and you needed traction from the rear wheel -- traction that results from putting your weight over that wheel.
Old 12-14-20, 02:23 PM
Sluggo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 58 Posts

Octave Lapize, 1910 TDF

This is not really in the context of the OP's question, since they were still riding single speeds in 1910. But Lapize won the TDF that year. He also called the organizers murderers as the riders struggled up the Aubisque.

Last edited by Sluggo; 12-14-20 at 05:11 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.