Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alfine spare wheelset?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Alfine spare wheelset?

Old 07-20-22, 10:32 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Alfine spare wheelset?

Here’s a puzzle.

I have a bike with an Alfine hub. I’m considering making a second wheelset for it, obviously with the same model Alfine hub.

Are the manufacturing tolerances tight enough that this is doable as an easy swap without completely re-doing the cable setup every time?

I’m inclined to say yes, given how very exact Shimano is about the cable end to retaining nut distance. But it only takes a small variance to make it unworkable.
Old 07-20-22, 10:52 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
I have a bike with an Alfine hub. I’m considering making a second wheelset for it, obviously with the same model Alfine hub.
Are the manufacturing tolerances tight enough that this is doable as an easy swap without completely re-doing the cable setup every time?
I can't vouch for Alfine, but I have two Nexus 8-speed hubs on wheels that I switch for converting between regular tires and studded tires. One of these is a "regular" hub and the other is a "Premium" hub. They are completely interchangeable with no adjustment required.
However, if a small adjustment were necessary, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... you would do it with the cable adjuster at the shifter, not the shift cable fixing bolt.
Old 07-20-22, 12:06 PM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I think it's time for stronger reading glasses. I read the subject as "Alfine square wheelset" and immediately wondered if it was about a Sheldon Brown oddity I'd missed seeing in the past...
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 07-20-22, 05:16 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Originally Posted by sweeks
I can't vouch for Alfine, but I have two Nexus 8-speed hubs on wheels that I switch for converting between regular tires and studded tires. One of these is a "regular" hub and the other is a "Premium" hub. They are completely interchangeable with no adjustment required.
However, if a small adjustment were necessary, it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world... you would do it with the cable adjuster at the shifter, not the shift cable fixing bolt.
This is a strong anecdote for my idea that it can/will work.
Old 07-21-22, 06:55 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
My experience has been that, if the end of the cable housing and the pinch bolt are the correct distance apart (as specced by shimano), the cable can be snapped into place and no (or almost no) adjustment is needed. I have never tried swapping multiple Alfine hubs bac and forth but I expect it would work pretty well.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 07-21-22, 09:41 AM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Originally Posted by ClydeClydeson
My experience has been that, if the end of the cable housing and the pinch bolt are the correct distance apart (as specced by shimano), the cable can be snapped into place and no (or almost no) adjustment is needed. I have never tried swapping multiple Alfine hubs bac and forth but I expect it would work pretty well.
That’s what I suspected. If they are that precise about the cable housing to pinch bolt distance, then hubs should be interchangeable.