Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fixed Gear Freestyle
Reload this Page >

Just got a fixed gear a couple days ago, wanna learn how to skid

Notices
Fixed Gear Freestyle Trickbikes and Freestylers, here's your home! Here, you can discuss the ins and outs of building and riding these bikes.

Old 06-29-22, 02:15 AM
idk._.yasir

Bikes: Fixed Gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Title basically sums it up, I wanna learn how to skid. I currently dont have pedal straps so that might be an issue. Any tips would be appreciated

Last edited by idk._.yasir; 06-29-22 at 02:15 AM. Reason: forgot to add a part
Old 06-29-22, 03:08 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,269 Times in 1,439 Posts
1. Put your nuts on the stem.
2. Extend dominant leg backwards.
3. Buy new tire.
Old 06-29-22, 08:11 PM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
1. Put your nuts on the stem.
2. Extend dominant leg backwards.
3. Buy new tire.
with some sort of foot retention hahaha

But seriously, it just takes practice, timing is a big part.
Old 07-26-22, 05:05 AM
Apetimberlake

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
Been practicing skidding over the last weekend and my legs are REKT
Old 07-26-22, 10:51 AM
Jheitt

Bikes: 1950 Raleigh Clubman, Moose Porter

Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Apetimberlake
Been practicing skidding over the last weekend and my legs are REKT
It takes a bit for the lifting leg to come around. It's a strange motion for a muscle group that is used to pushing weight not pulling it. I just ride as usual and toss a skid in when needed or wanted. Saves the legs
Old 11-22-22, 05:44 PM
swoopyinc

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
you usually want to lock the rear (dominant) leg around the 45 degree or so. I ride fixed mtb a lot and can skid pretty readily without straps in place. skip stops are much more effective for actual stopping though - another good one to practice and with both legs.
Old 04-14-23, 07:02 AM
Cthulhulord

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What’s the difference between skids and skip stops? Is it when your rear wheel jumps up instead of dragging along the ground?
Old 04-21-23, 09:24 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Cthulhulord
What’s the difference between skids and skip stops? Is it when your rear wheel jumps up instead of dragging along the ground?
Skipping and skidding are not stopping just to be very clear. A stop is a controlled motion to slow the bike down to complete stand still. Skidding is a brown stain in your underwear caused by poor wiping and can wreck havoc on your knees and ankles if used while cycling. Skipping is good exercise but poor for safety as well.

On a velodrome everyone is going in the same direction with the same goal so braking would be quite dangerous but on the roads where everything is completely unpredictable braking is extremely important and could save your life when ruining undies, back tires, knees and ankles to uncontrollably slow down a bit could cause issues.

Aesthetics are great but the aesthetics of being a red Jackson Pollock painting on the pavement aren't so good. Also those cool points you think you scored aren't redeemable for anything anywhere and especially not when you couldn't stop in a controllable fashion. If you are around people who have issues with you having brakes, than I would suggest not being around those people as they don't care about you and probably don't care about themselves either.

Also keep in mind this is an old thread not as old as some other zombie threads but this sub-forum is usually pretty dead and has been for quite a while.
Old 05-16-23, 05:55 AM
somedodo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
on average, how often do you have to replace the back tire if you're always skidding around?
Old 05-21-23, 07:33 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by somedodo
on average, how often do you have to replace the back tire if you're always skidding around?
Some people more often some people less often but in the end skidding is not stopping and is not really practical in an urban environment. Get brakes and save a ton of money on tires and not be so wasteful.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-21-23, 08:39 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 128 Post(s)
Quoted: 4745 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,510 Posts
Originally Posted by somedodo
The tire makes a big difference. The tires we used to use on out 26" kid's bikes when I was young survived many skid challenges. The tires I used to race would be destroyed the second skid on the same spot.

I don't skid. I have zero advice on good skidding tires. Contact a shop that sells fix gears. They will know and have the popular tires. I bet a good Google search will tell you also.