Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid road bike to exercise for a beginner

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 10:28 PM
kronosz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello All

I was trying to find a thread for this but couldn't hence starting a new one. I am looking to start cycling for fun and exercise. I will do it mostly on open roads of the city so speed and lightness is more important then ability to travel on diverse terrains. I prefer upright posture hence looking for hybrid road bikes. I started looking at Giant Fastroad and Trek FX but I am open to suggestions. What do you recommend for a good starting bike with price around 1000$ or less
Old 02-11-21, 08:25 AM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by kronosz
Hello All

I was trying to find a thread for this but couldn't hence starting a new one. I am looking to start cycling for fun and exercise. I will do it mostly on open roads of the city so speed and lightness is more important then ability to travel on diverse terrains. I prefer upright posture hence looking for hybrid road bikes. I started looking at Giant Fastroad and Trek FX but I am open to suggestions. What do you recommend for a good starting bike with price around 1000$ or less
Honestly, we can recommend all kinds of bikes, but some areas and some shops, you may want to take whatever you get your hands on. Or at very least, check the bike out, test ride it and find out what is comfortable and enjoyable for you.

There are many different hybrid road bikes from all brands, Specialized, Trek, Giant, Scott, Felt and Canyon to name a very few. We are going to give you a list of bikes, but really, the big experience will be how well the bike shop treats you and what they have to offer with bikes.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-11-21, 09:57 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I agree with what travbikeman said. Many go into a bike purchase like they do a vehicle purchase, and look for reviews, recommendations, etc. Cars are one thing were Ford makes their own engines, drivelines, etc. Chevy makes their own engines, drivelines, etc. Almost all the bolt-on components on bicycles are commodity items. So you'll see the same Shimano drivetrain parts on one bike that you will on another. Often the same hubs, wheels, etc. It's also such a price-driven game (the components) that even with different component manufacturers, quality levels are generally pretty close at certain price points.

You'll really want to pay attention to the bike shop (do you get a good feeling, etc.) and how a certain bike fits you. Bike fit is so much more important than component level because it's not as easily changed. If a bike just "feels right" to you, then that's probably the one to buy (as long as you like the shop, etc.). Different brands tend to fit differently to different people, so try as many as you possibly can.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 02-11-21, 08:19 PM
kronosz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would have loved to do that but in current environment all shops are out of model. I will have to pre order which will get delivered in 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile there are so many options to check. One of my friend says my bike should have Shimano 105. Another friend bought bike with Shimano Tiagra. One of the site recommended me a bike based on my preference that has Shimano Claris. One bicycle weights 8kgs , another 11 kgs and one is upward of 20kgs. There is also an option that i chose just frame and get parts fitted myself. Decathlon shows me a hybrid bike for 350$, Trek recommends hybrid for me for 1800$. I don't know if the difference is significant enough between all these that a beginner like me would understand. Its all so confusing for a beginner.

I want to ride about 30kms once or twice a week on a city road early morning and without traffic so would prefer speed and efficiency. I have some back problems and would like to keep my posture right. With all your experience could you please help me in narrowing the set to few bikes that are generally good for beginners. Then I can focus research on those and which suits me best among those
Old 02-11-21, 09:05 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 422 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 123 Posts
I would have loved to do that but in current environment all shops are out of model. I will have to pre order which will get delivered in 2-3 weeks. Meanwhile there are so many options to check. One of my friend says my bike should have Shimano 105. Another friend bought bike with Shimano Tiagra. One of the site recommended me a bike based on my preference that has Shimano Claris. One bicycle weights 8kgs , another 11 kgs and one is upward of 20kgs. There is also an option that i chose just frame and get parts fitted myself. Decathlon shows me a hybrid bike for 350$, Trek recommends hybrid for me for 1800$. I don't know if the difference is significant enough between all these that a beginner like me would understand. Its all so confusing for a beginner.

I want to ride about 30kms once or twice a week on a city road early morning and without traffic so would prefer speed and efficiency. I have some back problems and would like to keep my posture right. With all your experience could you please help me in narrowing the set to few bikes that are generally good for beginners. Then I can focus research on those and which suits me best among those
yea, it will be difficult to test if the shops don't have them. Going off your budget limit of $1000 or less, you are most likely not going to find bikes with the Shimano 105 and most likely not the Tiagra as well. They are nice, shifts really well, but for doing only 30kms once or twice a week makes getting these overkill. For bikes under $1000, you will be looking at components like the Sora, Alivio, Acera and such. Personally, I believe the 9 speeds are the best bang for the buck with bikes under $1000.

I would go after a Trek FX 3 with the 2x9 system. It's under your budget and you would still be able to afford things like the helmet, extra tubes, pumps etc...etc....etc...

Now what I'm about to say is my personal thought, others may say different: You stated you have some sort of back issues, you may want to pass on any bikes similar to the Fastroad that may have you bending over more while riding and opt for a bit more upright position. But I don't know how bad your back is and how comfortable you would or would not be with a bike like this.

Cannondale Quick would be another great bike. They have many versions in price ranges below $1000. I myself like the Quick 3 and even the Quick 4 and you might find these to be comfortable similar to the Trek FX. The Quick 4 has the Microshift Advent 1x9 derailleur system and I have read it is really good. I'm about to upgrade my mountain bike to a Microshift Advent X system since these systems are really well competitive to similar products from Shimano and Sram.

Normally I would also be suggesting a Specialized Sirrus, but Specialized is changing this product to more of a trail bike called Sirrus X. Not really sure if that would fit what you want. But is a nice bike, more expensive, but nice.

Marin Bikes also has some interesting road hybrid style of bikes: Marin Bikes Click Here

Another great brand and bikes that may fit your needs: Fuji Bikes Click Here

Last edited by travbikeman; 02-11-21 at 09:10 PM.
Likes For travbikeman:
Old 02-12-21, 12:09 AM
kronosz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
travbikeman Thanks. This is really helpful. I will try to find and look at these bikes
Old 02-14-21, 01:35 PM
SteveKB

Bikes: Giant Escape 3, Giant Halfway FD806, Giant Cadex CFM3, ZiZZO Liberté

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 34 Posts
I got back into biking after a very long hiatus about 5 years ago. A friend was moving and asked if I wanted his bike ('80s Specialized RockHopper).
I rode it quite a bit for a few years then looked around for something lighter and bought a used Giant Escape.2 City. There are lighter, faster & more technically advanced bikes, but this Giant Escape checks a lot of boxes for me (66 year old) as a comfortable Urban commuter. Fenders and a rack for panniers make it a practical daily rider.

Old 02-14-21, 01:43 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Around here you can find hybrid bikes on craigslist. Many look like somebody bought them for exercise and gave up after a few months.
Likes For grizzly59:
Old 02-20-21, 07:47 AM
rut3556

Bikes: 2021 Giant Escape 2 Disc

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 17 Posts
>>Many look like somebody bought them for exercise and gave up after a few months<<

Kinda like new gym memberships after the first of the year!
Likes For rut3556:
Old 02-26-21, 01:59 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Kronosz,

I wouldn't get too hung up on specific components. I bought my hybrid for the same reason you are. I wanted a good all around bike. I figured I would be getting a mountain bike because I knew I didn't want a road bike. I walked into my LBS and discovered hybrids. Test rode a couple, went home to think it over, came back the next day and got a Specialized Crosstrails Disc for about $630 in 2013. Other manufacturers make bikes almost just like it.

Since then I have invested in a new handlebar, new pedals, several chains, brake pads, etc. It is still running the stock shifters, cassette, derailleur, etc. Now, I don't ride my bike hard, so the stock components have held up well. I go up and down the occasional curb; I like riding trails and grass; I have a 15 mile street loop around the neighborhood. Maybe I would change my mind if I knew the feel of a top tier shifter/derailleur. Maybe that is why I have never bothered to do so. I click the handles, gears change, and I am happy.

If you are a similar kind of rider, I would not worry too much about the components. OK, make sure you are not getting junk, but I would think that is not a problem with the reputable manufacturers.

Jeff
Likes For Tanstaafl:
Old 02-26-21, 10:01 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I agree. Don’t get too caught up on the component levels. I have a Sirrus 4.0 with Sora/MicroShift drivetrain, and a road bike with full 105 drivetrain. The road bike cost more than twice as much. It is hard to tell the difference between the two drivetrains. There are differences, but it takes a lot of riding to notice the differences. My wife can’t tell much difference between the Sora on her hybrid and the Tiagra on her road bike.

Both the Trek and Giant bikes will be very nice.
Old 02-28-21, 10:03 PM
Nate8727

Bikes: 2021 Trek Verve 1 Disc

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 9 Posts
Hello All

Trek Verve is great for the upright position. I can’t say anything about other brands though.
Old 03-02-21, 02:03 PM
DomoNishiki
DomoNishiki

Bikes: Shogun(Remember those!), Univega, Sekai etc..

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I'm 51 and bought a Nishiki hybrid. Didn't have to spend a $1,000 on a bike. Really do yourself a favor and find one on Offer up or CL and make sure the ride height is good and get a feel for the different rides.
Mine is Cromoly, decent shifters and moves smoothly over any terrain that's not 1" rocks. Small pea gravel or paved bike roads and I'm good for 10-20 miles as I build up my knees.(Miniscus surgery in both) Will I get another more "advanced" bike? Probably not as those days of flying over cliffs and going downhill at 40mph are long gone.
IF on the other hand you are ready to get back into that aorta thing the used section has a LOT of potential and will offer you a lot bang for the buck.
Enjoying the ride.