Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

new bike wheel not fitting

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-22, 12:24 PM
coril

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello,

I was wondering if someone here could help me out with the following situation:

I had to replace my front wheel, so I bought a new one - it is a folding bike so I purchased the same diameter as the old one, 20 inches. I thought the axle sizes are standard and didn't check these. However upon trying to fit the wheel on my bike, it turns out that my forks are too narrow for my new wheel. They are going approximately where these nuts that are closest to the axle (don't know their name, sorry) are sitting. I tried to remove them but they seem to be stuck/non-moveable. Maybe they are not supposed to be moved and maybe it is not a good idea to move them anyways. I was trying to attach a picture but annoyingly I am not allowed as i am new here.

Is there any way I can get this wheel onto my bike if I don't stretch the forks? I don't think that would be the best idea since I think my bike is aluminium and I have no experience and don't want to mess my bike up.

Thanks for your advice!
Old 10-07-22, 12:30 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
There is no way to make that wheel fit your folding bike fork. Standard 20 " wheels usually have a 100mm OLD(over locknut dimension) that fits into a fork with a 100mm width between the dropouts. Most folding bikes only have 74mm between the dropouts, so they use a hub that is specifically made for folding bikes.
Old 10-07-22, 12:39 PM
coril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had no idea folding bike wheel sizes are different...that's good to know! I guess I will have to go and buy another one. Thank you!
Old 10-07-22, 01:10 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
@coril's Album:
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/user/560213
https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/26684500

Old 10-07-22, 01:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18374 Post(s)
Liked 4,509 Times in 3,351 Posts
That nut you point to with the arrow is called a locknut. Then closer to the middle is the cone.

The locknuts are easiest to adjust using generally a 17mm wrench for the outer nut, and a "cone wrench" which is a very thin wrench to engage the slots on the cone.

The cone adjusts the pressure on the bearings and needs to be set fairly precisely and held in place with the lock nut.

So you can't just discard the lock nuts. But they do come in different thicknesses. So you could get two thin locknuts, and potentially save 5mm to 10mm.

But that is unlikely to be enough.

Measure the inside distance between your fork dropouts (commonly called the over locknut dimension (OLD)).

Last edited by CliffordK; 10-07-22 at 09:27 PM.
Old 10-07-22, 01:19 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Take your bike to a local bike shop that has a mechanic or wheel person you can talk to. Some of the bigger shops don't like that.

But they usually find you a decent wheel for a decent price... considering you don't know much about them currently. But just talking in person to them you should learn a lot if they can be engaged in conversation. Some around here are so lonely it's hard to get them to shut up!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-07-22, 03:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Got an angle grinder?

Old 10-08-22, 06:45 AM
coril

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CliffordK Thanks, you are a genius!!! It does help to have the visuals. Also really appreciate the explanations of the names of the different nuts. I think you are right, getting thinner lock nuts will almost certainly not save enough space. And I will make sure to measure the distance between the forks so the next time I buy a wheel I will check first if it fits.

Iride01 That is a good idea...always good to talk to someone in person.

rsbob no I don't have an angle grinder nor do I know what it is LOL