Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Benotto labeled crankset questions.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-25-22, 08:43 AM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 1,244 Times in 595 Posts

While going through my stash of cranksets and test fitting them on a JIS BB I had one that didn't go on as far as the others, about 2mm short of the others. You could see the witness marks above the end of the JIS spindle from the spindle it had been on. It is a Campy Super Record look alike with "BENOTTO" stamped in it and "Made in ITALY" below that. It has some battle scars but should clean up reasonably well but what taper might it be? If I understand correctly a JIS taper spindle will come through an ISO taper crank 2mm further than an ISO spindle. Or do I have it backwards? I suspect it was made by Ofmega as I saw an Ofmega online that was identical to it and I have read that early Ofmega cranks and BB's had their own unigue square taper which is smaller than ISO and JIS. That would make sense that the JIS spindle stops a little short if this is indeed an "Ofmega taper", so might I have been so "lucky" as to land one of these and if so how the heck do I identify the correct bottom bracket? I have seen Ofmega bottom brackets on Ebay but the descriptions only state "square taper", but WHICH square taper? I love the look of it and don't have a lot in it but I would rather use it on a bike than turn it into a wall clock......

Old 11-25-22, 09:13 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Based on what I've seen here as well as velobase.com, I tend to agree with Ofmega being the manufacturer. They produced similar cranksets, all of which are Campy knockoffs, and there are examples on the web where they have bicycle manufacturers names on them. So it sounds very likely.

Yes, they tended to use their own taper, as supported by this statement from velobase.com

"The Ofmega taper is unique to Ofmega (Avocet is actually the same). ONLY USE OFMEGA CRANKS WITH OFMEGA BBs"

So it would appear you need to be looking for Ofmega or Avocet bottom brackets.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 11-25-22, 09:25 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

thanks very much for sharing this question

Giostra launched OFMEGA (also written Of.Me.Ga.) branded products in 1966

there was a Competition model chainset at marque launch with a somewhat different appearance

the manufacturer did a tremendous amount of private labelling

many readers will recall the Avocet line of components begun by Palo Alto Bicycle around nineteen eighty

will look forward to reading from the experts if it is known what years the "small taper" design was employed...

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-25-22, 09:40 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
It could have been made by ROTO.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...m=115&AbsPos=0
Likes For seypat:
Old 11-25-22, 09:54 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Based on what I've seen here as well as velobase.com, I tend to agree with Ofmega being the manufacturer. They produced similar cranksets, all of which are Campy knockoffs, and there are examples on the web where they have bicycle manufacturers names on them. So it sounds very likely. Yes, they tended to use their own taper, as supported by this statement from velobase.com "The Ofmega taper is unique to Ofmega (Avocet is actually the same). ONLY USE OFMEGA CRANKS WITH OFMEGA BBs". So it would appear you need to be looking for Ofmega or Avocet bottom brackets.
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for sharing this question Giostra launched OFMEGA (also written Of.Me.Ga.) branded products in 1966 there was a Competition model chainset at marque launch with a somewhat different appearance the manufacturer did a tremendous amount of private labelling many readers will recall the Avocet line of components begun by Palo Alto Bicycle around nineteen eighty will look forward to reading from the experts if it is known what years the "small taper" design was employed... -----

Thanks for confirming my "fears" LOL. I found an auction for an Ofmega BB on Ebay and it clearly states it has the unique Ofmega taper, it even included a link to Bike Forums as reference but it didn't take me to the specific thread. Of the surprisingly numerous Ofmega BB's listed it was the only one to identify the taper. Quite a few appeared to be JIS if the visual length of the taper is any indicator. A couple others appeared to have the short taper like the one in the auction but only said that they were "square taper". It is for a 68mm BSA threaded shell and actually has the axle length I "think" I need so I put in a healthy bid on it, probably more than it's worth and certainly more than I paid for the crankset but I've learned that on Ebay if you really want it you better REALLY want it. The bike I originally wanted to use it on has a French threaded BB shell, I made it easier on myself and switched it to my BSA threaded '66 Raleigh Carlton project.
Life was so much simpler (and cheaper) before I started dabbling in European bikes........
Old 11-25-22, 10:02 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by seypat
Very well could be but, if it is, they had a funky axle taper too LOL.
Old 11-25-22, 10:03 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
I also find that the campy cranks don't go on as far either.
Old 11-25-22, 10:19 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I also find that the campy cranks don't go on as far either.
I tried my Super Record and 2 sets of Triomphe and they all went on like the others BUT they're all mid-80's.
Old 11-25-22, 10:21 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
-----

have a ROTO road ensemble new-in-box with one of these chainsets and have always wondered if it is actually a Rampinelli product or a case of private labelling done by OFMEGA...

one of our forum experts is sure to know

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 11-25-22, 10:32 AM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by Murray Missile
I tried my Super Record and 2 sets of Triomphe and they all went on like the others BUT they're all mid-80's.
I was using early 70s models. I should have been more specific.
Likes For 52telecaster:
Old 11-25-22, 10:43 AM
Murray Missile 

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
I was using early 70s models. I should have been more specific.
I suspected that, that's why I made sure to specify mine are 80's versions.