Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

My first century

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

My first century

Old 10-04-20, 07:58 PM
Random11

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Diverge, 2021 Cervelo Caledonia

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 378 Times in 197 Posts
My first century

I rode my first century today--104 miles. I read Tomm Williams' thread on his century and I took the easy way out. Flat multi-use path, temperature in the 70s, and did four out-and-backs to total up that distance. That allowed me to stop by my car four times to replenish supplies. But, I went over 100 miles, which was my goal. I've been riding a bit less than three years, but ride almost every day (15-20 miles).. I'm 70 years old, so it seems like if I want to do a century, now's the time.
Old 10-04-20, 08:27 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3637 Post(s)
Liked 5,314 Times in 2,700 Posts
Pretty sure that counts, good job!
Old 10-05-20, 02:47 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
>>>>
Originally Posted by Random11
I rode my first century today--104 miles........................I took the easy way out. Flat multi-use path, temperature in the 70s, and did four out-and-backs to total up that distance.................... I'm 70 years old, so it seems like if I want to do a century, now's the time.
Miles pedaled are still miles pedaled whether seated or standing in the hills or over flat terrain. My 70th was in July and I rode a "2fer + 1"

Last edited by OldTryGuy; 10-05-20 at 02:59 AM.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 10-05-20, 03:21 AM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Awesome! Sounds like this might the first of many centuries to come.
Old 10-05-20, 07:35 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Congratulations! and it's probably easier now than waiting 30 years to ride your age.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 10-05-20, 11:36 AM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
That's a good way to do it!
Likes For reverborama:
Old 10-05-20, 02:10 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 322 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 260 Posts
Congratulations! It feels good doesn’t it!!!!
Old 10-05-20, 02:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
.........., so it seems like if I want to do a century, now's the time.
Yes now is the time. But it's not a one time thing.

Do it again.............
Old 10-05-20, 03:10 PM
Random11

Thanks for all the positive comments. It wasn't that difficult to do the Century, but I have no plans to do it again. Not to say I won't, but it was something on my "bucket list" as a new rider--ride 100 miles--and now I've done it.

One thing I'll observe: it didn't take too much out of me, and this morning (day after the century) I rode a more typical 15 miles and am feeling no after-effects of the long ride. When I was running, a "bucket list" item was doing a Marathon. I did five of them (the most recent was 30 years ago), and afterwards it took two weeks for me to recover. My Marathon times weren't really fast (all under four hours; fastest was 3:24). Elsewhere on the Forums there's a thread on whether cycling is good exercise, and one thing I can say with certainty is that it is easier to cycle 100 miles than it is to run 26.
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-06-20, 02:31 PM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 926 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 482 Posts
I'd encourage you to keep riding centuries but to mix it up. Sounds like this first century was simply a "see if I could do it" task. Now that's done, I suggest that you do what I do and look for centuries (or longer) that take you over scenic territory that you haven't seen before from a bike or include significant challenges. Once you get a few centuries under your belt the difficulty wanes and you will start looking forward to new adventures. The nice thing about riding 100 or miles at a go is that it allows you to really get to know a wide area and visit some areas that are off the beaten track. Also, many of those areas are much more interesting when viewed from a bike rather than from a car.
Likes For davester:
Old 10-06-20, 02:57 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by davester
...Sounds like this first century was simply a "see if I could do it" task...
Exactly right, Dave. My longest ride up to then was 62 miles (metric century). Your advice is good, and I probably should think of it as more of an adventure than a challenge.
Old 10-08-20, 07:14 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
Thanks for all the positive comments. It wasn't that difficult to do the Century, but I have no plans to do it again.
BwaHAHAhawhahah! Yeah, I think most of us have said that.
Likes For reverborama:
Old 10-10-20, 06:03 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Outstanding! I’d get too bored doing the same route repeatedly. Well done!
Old 10-11-20, 12:27 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by jppe
Outstanding! I’d get too bored doing the same route repeatedly. Well done!
I know some people feel that way. I do the same ride just about every day, 15-20 miles, leaving from my house and through nearby residential neighborhoods. I'm riding for the exercise and don't find it boring. The reason I do that is because I can leave from my house and don't have to drive my bike anywhere to ride it. The Century was an unusual ride for me. Maybe once or twice a month I'll drive my bike somewhere to ride.
Likes For Random11:
Old 10-12-20, 07:02 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
Thanks for all the positive comments. It wasn't that difficult to do the Century, but I have no plans to do it again. Not to say I won't, but it was something on my "bucket list" as a new rider--ride 100 miles--and now I've done it.

One thing I'll observe: it didn't take too much out of me, and this morning (day after the century) I rode a more typical 15 miles and am feeling no after-effects of the long ride. When I was running, a "bucket list" item was doing a Marathon. I did five of them (the most recent was 30 years ago), and afterwards it took two weeks for me to recover. My Marathon times weren't really fast (all under four hours; fastest was 3:24). Elsewhere on the Forums there's a thread on whether cycling is good exercise, and one thing I can say with certainty is that it is easier to cycle 100 miles than it is to run 26.
Nice job! I've always wondered about the century/marathon thing. Wouldn't you need to have comparable times to have comparable effort comparison? For instance it would take me 10 hours, maybe a little less to ride a century. Many years ago I did an MS 150. Averaged maybe 13 on a pretty hilly route (very hilly compared to what I rode everyday), after training longer distances. My rear was still pretty dang sore getting on the next day. Now I ride more consistently but only 15-20 miles a ride, maybe a 30 once in awhile. I don't see doing 100 faster then 10-12 miles an hour. To me that would equate to walking a marathon. That seems like a pretty reasonable comparison to me, but I've never done one and likely never will. Running's not my thing, or even wanting to walk that far.
Old 10-12-20, 07:12 AM
gear64

Bikes: State Black Label All Road, Univega Gran Premio, Lotus Classique, Terranaut Metro

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 62 Posts
I know some people feel that way. I do the same ride just about every day, 15-20 miles, leaving from my house and through nearby residential neighborhoods. I'm riding for the exercise and don't find it boring. The reason I do that is because I can leave from my house and don't have to drive my bike anywhere to ride it. The Century was an unusual ride for me. Maybe once or twice a month I'll drive my bike somewhere to ride.
I'm fan of riding from my driveway as well. I can't remember the last time I've thrown the bike on the car if I wasn't going somewhere else already like visiting one of the kids out of town. It's hard enough to make time for the riding itself, much less driving back and forth somewhere. While many of my rides use the same segments over and over, particularly the initial/final legs; the radius of ridable streets and MUPs is large enough for a fair amount of variety. I like watching how neighborhoods evolve over time.
Old 10-12-20, 09:06 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by gear64
Nice job! I've always wondered about the century/marathon thing. Wouldn't you need to have comparable times to have comparable effort comparison?...
Perhaps an interesting comparison is the Tour de France, where cyclists cover approximately 21 centuries in a month. Marthoners can't run 21 marathons in a month. One reason might be that you don't have that pounding of your joints on a bike, but another might be that it's easier to do a century on a bike than run a marathon.
Old 10-13-20, 10:00 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Perhaps an interesting comparison is the Tour de France, where cyclists cover approximately 21 centuries in a month. Marthoners can't run 21 marathons in a month. One reason might be that you don't have that pounding of your joints on a bike, but another might be that it's easier to do a century on a bike than run a marathon.
That is why I cycle. I've never been a runner. Too much work for the short distance a person can run. Cycling you can go on and on and on.

Why do you keep bringing this up? Does someone else need to ask how many times you can bench press 500 pounds and tell us how much harder than cycling it is?
Old 10-13-20, 04:58 PM
takenreasy

Bikes: ’83 Bianchi Special ’96 Specialized Stump Jumper Comp ’09 Gary Fisher Paragon ’09 Surly Cross Check ’11 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 50 Posts
As a long time ex-commuter I feel the same way. I still ride a lot but don't need, want, to load my bike on a car to go riding. It's probably the utilitarian bicyclist in me.
Old 10-14-20, 06:36 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Iride01
Why do you keep bringing this up? Does someone else need to ask how many times you can bench press 500 pounds and tell us how much harder than cycling it is?
Seems like an interesting question (running vs. cycling), and related to a thread on another one of the forums about whether cycling is good exercise. As to my bench pressing, I have skinny cyclist arms that are barely strong enough to carry groceries from my car to my house. I'm fairly sure I could bench press 5 pounds if I was well-rested, but don't anticipate working my way up to 500.

Last edited by Random11; 10-14-20 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 10:14 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Seems like an interesting question (running vs. cycling), and related to a thread on another one of the forums about whether cycling is good exercise. As to my bench pressing, I have skinny cyclist arms that are barely strong enough to carry groceries from my car to my house. I'm fairly sure I could bench press 5 pounds if I was well-rested, but don't anticipate working my way up to 500.
Well I suppose it is an interesting question. It is just that I didn't see it posed as a question. Seemed to be more of "I run therefore I'm better". Don't take offense, think of this as conversation at the tavern with friends. This definitely isn't Friend or Foe type stuff. And I'd hate it if all my friends were of the same opinion as me because there'd be nothing for us to talk about.

Running vs cycling arguments usually get presented in effort over distance. But IMO, most people going out to run or cycle are going to go out for the limited amount of time they have to spare for that. So an hour of running might get you what? 8 miles at best? So for a 172 lb person, that comes to 967 Calories expended. For an hour ride I can sometimes average 18 mph. And that works out to 983 Calories expended.

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-running/

https://caloriesburnedhq.com/calories-burned-biking/

And using your marathon time of 3hr 40min, then if I could run that, and I couldn't, then the Calorie calculator comes up with 3175 Calories for my 172 lb self to run 25.2 miles in 3hrs 24min. One of the most recent rides I have close to that time is a 58.9 mile ride last year. The calculator for it comes up with 3277 Calories burned.

So which is harder? Just too many personal preference things involved IMO than actual difficulty. And I think that really if effort is to be compared, you'd have to consider over time instead of distance to get a truer picture.
Old 10-18-20, 04:46 PM
Random11

Originally Posted by Iride01
... Seemed to be more of "I run therefore I'm better". Don't take offense, think of this as conversation at the tavern with friends...So which is harder? Just too many personal preference things involved IMO than actual difficulty. And I think that really if effort is to be compared, you'd have to consider over time instead of distance to get a truer picture.
I gave you the same response I would have given if we were having a conversation in a tavern. I think about this because I used to be a runner but had to give it up because of on-going knee problems, so I started cycling instead, a bit less than three years ago. I'm a newbie on the bike, but ran for more than 50 years before having to call it quits. I'm pretty sure running is "harder" but it may be that cycling burns as many (or more) calories. Regardless, I'm a cyclist now, not a runner... and I am enjoying the time I'm spending on my bike. I'm definitely riding more hours per week than I spent running.
Old 10-19-20, 07:38 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
There is no easy way out of a century. Congratulations, and be careful on the road.
Old 10-19-20, 09:56 AM
Random11

Originally Posted by Jumpski
There is no easy way out of a century. Congratulations, and be careful on the road.
Thanks! I'm relatively new to cycling (been riding less than three years), but the accounts I've read here on Bike Forums do make me a bit wary. Most of my riding is on the road.
Old 10-19-20, 11:01 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8185 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,391 Posts
Lots of variables in cycling. I did a century with 12,000 feet of climbing in the first 75 miles. @210 pounds that was pretty tough. I've done a number of 10,000 foot centuries including one that finishes with a steep climb. I did a 9000+ foot century in the mountains with a cold, hard rain for 40+ miles. I did a charity century when the headwind was so strong people were walking their bikes on flat ground. I did an 85 mile ride on a loaded touring bike where we traveled through the mountains and finished with 40 miles of stiff headwind. That ride took 11 hours. I've lost 11 pounds of water weight on rides. I've ridden when it was so hot and dry I got a bloody nose.

I've also done easy, relatively flat centuries in nice weather where we just cruised along and finished fresh.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.