Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer Accuracy

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Computer Accuracy

Old 01-16-21, 10:24 PM
bikehoco

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Bike Computer Accuracy

For rides, I use a bike computer (magnet in the spokes) and Ride With GPS on an iPhone. For distance, both provide similar results (20 miles vs. 19.9 miles). But for speed, the difference is bothersome (14 mph vs. 13.5 mps). Is this typical?

I ride along the road (with some trails) in the suburbs..
Old 01-16-21, 10:28 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Bike Computer set with Roll OUT Measurements is most accurate..

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 01-16-21, 11:38 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
For rides, I use a bike computer (magnet in the spokes) and Ride With GPS on an iPhone. For distance, both provide similar results (20 miles vs. 19.9 miles). But for speed, the difference is bothersome (14 mph vs. 13.5 mps). Is this typical?

I have two GPS devices that don’t agree on distance - my iPhone running Strava consistently reads 0.6% higher than my Garmin head unit. Probably as good as it gets for consumer devices
Old 01-17-21, 12:25 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Go with whichever is higher.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 04-29-21 at 03:37 PM.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 01-17-21, 08:53 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 554 Times in 443 Posts
The speed and distance on the computer are only as accurate as the value used for the tire circumference. Standard values listed for each tire size are close, but I measure the length of 3 revolutions, several times, then convert my inches measurement to millimeters. Having your weight on the bike will further improve accuracy. The tire will squish and the effective radius will be smaller.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 01-17-21, 09:03 AM
berner

Bikes: Specialized Secteur, old Peugeot

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 663 Post(s)
Liked 496 Times in 299 Posts
Person with two watches never knows the time, so says Confucius.
Old 01-17-21, 09:55 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,945 Times in 935 Posts
My simple Cateye with a magnetic sensor matches usually within .10 of a mile with the ridewithgps route planner app on 50+ mile rides.
I stopped using Garmin because it grossly inflated elevation gains. It is more accurate to just use the ridewithgps mapping function to figure out elevation gain.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 01-17-21, 10:32 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 1,235 Times in 616 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
The speed and distance on the computer are only as accurate as the value used for the tire circumference. Standard values listed for each tire size are close, but I measure the length of 3 revolutions, several times, then convert my inches measurement to millimeters. Having your weight on the bike will further improve accuracy. The tire will squish and the effective radius will be smaller.
NOPE.
A Roll Out is Necessary as it relates to Tire PSA and Weight of the Rider.

Old 01-17-21, 10:43 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
The correction for distance Strava uses if you're on pretty well known roads and routes is pretty accurate. However, you "instantaneous" speed shown on the GPS is most accurate if using a wheel speed sensor with accurate info inserted in for that sensor (rollout, tire size, etc...).

One thing I've seen is that if you're a runner, I have the slowest runs by far on curvy greenway/MUP runs where the curves are so small that the GPS mesh coords are much larger than the curves. Thus, you lose a solid amount of distance that it can't really correct for.

I could assume MTB folks also suffer from this and rollout may work better for distance the curvier your route is.

My most accurate distance/times for running pace are on arrow straight streets and roads with really steady curves to them when they do turn.

Either way, I train on rides to time spent in zones combined with overall TSS. I don't really bother looking at the speed or distance as it is irrelevant sometimes. I only went 18mi yesterday in an hour on a 30/30 vo2 workout but went uphill almost 1900ft. I was chasing X sets of 30/30 and an overall TSS score for the workout. I hit my sets, then free-rode at Z2 and tempo till I hit my TSS score. Then went home.

It doesn't really bother me ever unless doing my super nerd time trial equipment testing. Then I care about the details a bit more.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 01-17-21, 11:16 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1012 Post(s)
Liked 758 Times in 407 Posts
But for speed, the difference is bothersome (14 mph vs. 13.5 mps).
Just wondering if this a look at actual current speed sometime mid-ride. Or, if it’s the average speed you see after the ride has finished? Just asking because I think the two would likely be different while looking at them mid-ride due to the frequency of how often the speed is determined.

Dan
Old 01-17-21, 04:42 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
In my experience, GPS devices are inaccurate as to speed at that moment. There’s always a few seconds of lag in the display. Is why I use speed sensors.
Old 01-17-21, 07:42 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 997 Posts
I think the OP is saying that speed is pretty accurate between both.. So if the problem is the Avg Speed/Hr, then the problem lays in the difference in how the 2 devices are measuring time (moving, stopped, overall, etc etc.. lots of possible differences).
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-17-21, 08:30 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7, Trek Emonda ALR, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 1,666 Times in 980 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I think the OP is saying that speed is pretty accurate between both.. So if the problem is the Avg Speed/Hr, then the problem lays in the difference in how the 2 devices are measuring time (moving, stopped, overall, etc etc.. lots of possible differences).
^^ This... I wrote a database app many moons ago that I stored all my ride info in and I noticed that my avg time and speed were always off slightly. Came down to rounding from the computer and my db. I carried out digits 3 places for some off reason and the computer app only carried it out to 1. I changed my coding to only show a single digit east of the decimal and boom.....match.

Old 01-17-21, 11:26 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Auto pause/resume with most apps and *some* bike computers will also influence readings for speed, distance and time. Some auto-pause/resume settings are adjustable, some aren't.

I've run a dedicated bike computer and two phones with apps (Wahoo Fitness on one, Strava on the other) and they all differ slightly. Not enough to worry about. I was never close enough to a KOM for a 0.5 mph or 1 minute difference to matter over over my favorite routes. It might affect a top 10 position, but as younger, stronger and faster riders use those same routes I'll never be anywhere near a top 10, let alone a KOM. So my best times/speeds will be jockeying for middle of the pack honors, along with almost every other MAMIL.

If I was serious I'd try a wired bike computer calibrated to my wheel/tire diameter, etc., as described above.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 01-18-21, 09:55 AM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
My simple Cateye with a magnetic sensor matches usually within .10 of a mile with the ridewithgps route planner app on 50+ mile rides.
I stopped using Garmin because it grossly inflated elevation gains. It is more accurate to just use the ridewithgps mapping function to figure out elevation gain.
If you ride through an area with high rise buildings, you can get some wildly funny elevation gains. I ride through downtown Pittsburgh while using Map My Ride and Road ID's app. Both sometimes think I'm riding over the rooftops! They also miss datapoints, presumably blocked signal by the buildings, so that'll throw the distance off.

On my Novara, I have a Sigma with mag sensor. It's set pretty accurately - it matches every mile marker around the river trails here and on the GAP even over long distances.
Old 01-19-21, 08:55 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
When I'm feeling obsessive-compulsive over distance and/or speed, the wired (or wireless) cyclocomputer with a wheel sensor is my go-to measurement device. I've got a nice downhill ridge near home I can coast down, and compare the computer's measured distance with the mile markers. If I'm within 1%, it's fine; more than 2%, time to adjust the calibration. I've gotten it within 0.5% some months, and then the tire gets worn and/or replaced, and the next time it's up to 1% match.

A few key features of the above. First, I'm coasting downhill, so there's minimal side-to-side pedal tracking to affect the distance measured. Second, because it's a U.S. highway, I trust the mile markers to be accurate. (Don't try this in Kansas or Missouri -- I think they sell mile markers at Walmart in those states, and farmers pick out a pretty green sign to put up near their farms without regards to location or numbers) Finally, curves are pretty wide, even on the ridge.

GPS devices sometimes match the cyclocomputer pretty closely, as long as the comparison is on a straight, treeless road with no large buildings nearby. On my more typical rides (curvy, trees, hillsides blocking some satellite signals), the GPS distance is off. It's still good if I need help mapping or navigating, but I don't trust the distance the GPS measures. Ergo, I figure the instantaneous speed measurement is in the ballpark, but it's more for entertainment than precise measuring.
Old 01-19-21, 09:46 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
I've had a similar ambiguity with GPS vs. my taffrail log.
Old 01-19-21, 09:53 AM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
I use RWGPS post ride to fix the speed and elevation numbers.

Those complaining about a 0.6% difference is kind of insane in my book. That’s 15.00mph vs. 15.09mph, or for most practical purposes ‘the same’ number. The speedometer in your car is often has no better accuracy wise than this.
Old 01-19-21, 10:15 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2131 Post(s)
Liked 1,639 Times in 822 Posts

I'd be irate if my magnet based bicycle computer was a half mile per hour off at 14 MPH. I'd pick up the phone and call someone's manager.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 01-19-21, 04:29 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Meh. My Garmin Edge 25 is close enough for me, although it's a bit off from my riding partner's computer of unknown make. I ain't settin' any speed or distance records.
Old 01-19-21, 07:53 PM
Bmach

Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS
unless you are using the computers GPS for those features.
Old 01-19-21, 09:26 PM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
You can't ride an hour (or a half, or fifteen minutes) and see how far you've come, calculate your average speed, and know which one is right????
Old 01-20-21, 10:15 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
I'd be irate if my magnet based bicycle computer was a half mile per hour off at 14 MPH. I'd pick up the phone and call someone's manager.
Bugger off smartass.
Old 01-20-21, 11:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
If the sensor and magnet are correctly installed, the wired computer will be virtually100% accurate at counting wheel revolutions. Converting wheel revolutions to distance, measuring time, calculating speed from time & distance, then displaying speed on the screen, are matters of calibration, software, and hardware. There may be calculation inaccuracies and delays updating the display. Generally I think most cyclocomputers are pretty good, but they are not all equal.

Theoretically, if well calibrated, this should be far more precise than a GPS at both instantaneous speed and speed and distance over a long ride.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 01-21-21, 07:24 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
The difference in measured distance between my cycle computer and Strava is pretty substantial, around 2%. Since I have a wired computer from a brand I have had only good experience with (Sigma), and I measured the tire circumference carefully when setting it up, I'm inclined to trust the computer instead of GPS. I mean, 2% of the measured 2220mm circumference (which also corresponds to the figures cited online for this tire size within a few mm) is 44mm - it's virtually impossible to be off by that much. The accuracy of speed measurements aren't that important to me, but such a difference in distance would translate to almost a whole century over my yearly mileage.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.