Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

that will buff out, right?

Search
Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-22, 12:13 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts

thanks to grazing past an open set of snips in my basement. who knew they were so sharp? yeesh, it wasn't even my nice pair. yes, I closed them & locked them

can't even tell where I got 12 stiches when I was 15, approx. 50 yrs ago
Old 12-15-22, 01:09 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Nothing some super glue can't fix.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 12-15-22, 02:30 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 815 Post(s)
Liked 1,647 Times in 776 Posts
Chicks dig scars.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 12-20-22, 01:11 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
'Tis but a scratch:
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 12-22-22, 01:15 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the doc literally approximated that with super glue. I've had finger gashes and splits about like that and they just taped 'em together. The flesh healed with almost no visible scarring.

In one accident that crushed and nearly amputated my left index finger 20something years ago, the fingertip was dangling by a bit of connective tissue, with the blood vessels and nerves intact. Hardly even bled. But the fingertip healed with nothing more than a taped splint. I retained about 90% sensation in the fingertip, not bad considering how mangled it was. The fingernail bed looks a bit lumpy, and the nail regrew split in three places with the nail overlapping. I need to trim and file the nail every day or so to keep it from snagging. I got lucky with that one.

Only downside was I couldn't play guitar for months, and by the time I tried again my good fer nuttin cousin had stolen my favorite guitar. I'd quit playing live years earlier, never really was very good anyway, but kept one guitar that was too ugly to sell, but too good not to keep. It was an early 1980s Yamaha sorta-Strat style, made just enough different from the Strat to avoid legal issues from Fender. Despite the gouge in the wood on the front of the body and the questionable aesthetics, it had the nicest neck (real rosewood fingerboard) and rounded frets of any I'd played, with a nice tone from the dense mahogany body. It was a true blues, R&B and rock rhythm player's axe, which is all I was anyway. I rewired the guts and added a switch to turn on the three pickups in pairs, or "out of phase" (not technically correct, but close enough), which was great for a variety of clean and dirty tones. But I should have left the original staggered pole piece pickups intact. Instead I replaced two of them with Schecter stacked and potted humbuckers, which still sounded exactly like a classic single coil, minus the hum, no extra gain or punch. But I never played a gig where anyone cared about noise so it was pointless. And the original staggered pole piece pickups themselves were probably the most valuable thing on the guitar.

Anyway, after that I never really felt like playing again. I still pick up guitars every time I visit a pawn shop or a friend's home, but the bug has never bitten again. Can't blame the finger for that. I just lost the itch and moved on to other hobbies.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-22-22, 05:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Anyway, after that I never really felt like playing again

reminds me when I was a kid I was taking guitar lessons w/ my brother. but then I burned a finger w/ my Creeple Peeple hot plastic toy set.

that, combined w/ a blister from the guitar playing turned me off & my brother took off w/ it. he continued with that & I continued with other tinkering kinds of toys like model building

the finger is coming along just fine, keeping it covered. it's just a sensitive spot cuz when I was 15 I was working at McDonalds cooking breakfast & was at the restaurant before my shift. was joking w/ a buddy & a truck came in so I helped him unload boxes onto metals shelves. got my thumb caught between a box & a shelf just as I was letting go of the box & pulling my hand out. tore a flap of skin back, in a chevron shape. I screamed & the manager ran down then drove me to the ER. got 15 or 12 stitches I forget now how many but it was a lot. got extra time off & some workman's comp pay. went on vacation w/ my parents to the cape but couldn't go in the water due to the bandage

good times

I know lots of ppl that just don't like to use bandaids, etc. one friend, in his 20s, crushed his big toe under a car tire & just poured salt on it to keep it from getting infected. I was like dude just go to the hospital but he said he had done that in the past and not paid his bill so was afraid to go back ok that's not me, I like medical treatment

Last edited by rumrunn6; 12-22-22 at 05:55 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 12-22-22, 09:19 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
I have a scar down the center of my sternum.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 12-23-22, 01:21 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Heh, I had the Creeple People, Thingmaker and Plastigoop kits too. Not quite as dangerous as "Junior's First Atomic Reactor" kit but close enough to keep the pediatric docs busy for a few years until those things were discontinued and trashed by exasperated parents.
Likes For canklecat:
Old 12-23-22, 01:23 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have a scar down the center of my sternum.
One of my cousin's kidlets has that. Had his first open heart surgery at two weeks old. After several more afterward for years. When he got older he called it his zipper, because it was opened so often for upgrades as his body grew. I think he's 16 now and apparently done with ticker maintenance, we hope.
Old 12-23-22, 07:03 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
One of my cousin's kidlets has that. Had his first open heart surgery at two weeks old. After several more afterward for years. When he got older he called it his zipper, because it was opened so often for upgrades as his body grew. I think he's 16 now and apparently done with ticker maintenance, we hope.
I was 25 when I became the proud owner of a mechanical aortic valve at the age of 25. That was beyond the days of the zipper scar. I have synthetic wires in my sternum and staples that were removed a few days after the surgery. Think they might have used glue on the inside. It never occurred to me that a person still growing might need upgrades.
Likes For indyfabz: