Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How can a $14,000 bicycle possibly be worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-23, 08:40 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I'm fine with expensive bikes. People with surplus income should feel free to buy nice things. Those who don't have the income, should learn how to build their own nice bikes. The internet has a treasure trove of free information available to anyone wanting to learn. On top of that, honing your body into a lean-n-mean riding machine is easily within anyone's grasp with proper nutrition, fitness and ample rest.

Cycling and photography are very similar. People will dish out the big bucks for the latest $10k Leica rangefinder. Yet someone with a $500 used DSLR/MILC can take the same exact photos! At the end of the day it's not the gear, but the cyclist/photographer that matters!
I agree with you. I can often take photos with my phone that rival what I could have done at the same place and time with my Nikon. I don't ride my expensive bike any faster than my cheapest. I buy top of the line XC gear, not because I fancy myself a fast skier, but because I ski so much, I enjoy the quality (performance, weight, etc.).

But, like the guy with the Leica, it sure is fun to handle and use a fine piece of equipment. I've always thought it would be a pleasure to own one, but it's not on my list of things I care to afford. Sometimes just wanting and being able to afford something is really fun.
Old 01-19-23, 08:44 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
A few perks is that when people with money sell something, it's usually in excellent/like new condition. In addition when they actually need to buy something used, they don't haggle in price. Well off dentists are my go-to when buying and selling!
Originally Posted by big john
Funny! My dentist rides an old cf Trek.
My dentist - who owns 3 homes and a nice boat - rides a 15 year old Cannondal CAAD8/Ultegra build. And he rides a lot and is very fit.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 01-19-23, 08:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
TL;DR, but I guess you missed the part where I said SS wasn't the best tool for every job. (Or for every tool.)
Ah, so you didn't even actually have a point. Got it.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 01-19-23, 08:51 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Ah, so you didn't even actually have a point. Got it.
Guess you missed that, too. You're 0 for 2, but keep swingin' for the fences.
Old 01-19-23, 08:54 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Guess you missed that, too.
So, SS bikes are just fine for climbing but they're not good for climbing. Got it.

Old 01-19-23, 08:55 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I agree with you. I can often take photos with my phone that rival what I could have done at the same place and time with my Nikon. I don't ride my expensive bike any faster than my cheapest. I buy top of the line XC gear, not because I fancy myself a fast skier, but because I ski so much, I enjoy the quality (performance, weight, etc.).

But, like the guy with the Leica, it sure is fun to handle and use a fine piece of equipment. I've always thought it would be a pleasure to own one, but it's not on my list of things I care to afford. Sometimes just wanting and being able to afford something is really fun.
I owned an M6 with a 35mm Summicron for a year -- hated it. The worst ergonomics I've ever experienced, and the lens was *****. Just reloading it with a fresh roll of film required three hands. Just a terrible, antiquated design. I haven't tried their digital cameras, so maybe those are better.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-19-23, 09:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Or at least, they HAD a lot of money.
For people with a lot of money, $14k is not a lot of money.

I’m not one of those people.
Old 01-19-23, 09:05 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Or at least, they HAD a lot of money.
Rest assured a vast majority of those who purchase bikes in that price range will still have adequate resources to eek out a existence.
Old 01-19-23, 09:07 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
For people with a lot of money, $14k is not a lot of money.

I’m not one of those people.
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Rest assured a vast majority of those who purchase bikes in that price range will still have adequate resources to eek out a existence.
It's a joke, boys. See first line of my signature.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 01-19-23, 09:22 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
So, SS bikes are just fine for climbing but they're not good for climbing. Got it.
Guess I have to spell it out for you, since you're so obtuse:

Climbing hills on a singlespeed, while not always the best choice, will nevertheless not "explode your knees" if you do it.

Better read that again to be sure you "got it."
Likes For Rolla:
Old 01-19-23, 09:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Guess I have to spell it out for you, since you're so obtuse:

Climbing hills on a singlespeed, while not always the best choice, will nevertheless not "explode your knees" if you do it.

Better read that again to be sure you "got it."
So, all those people who say that high power at really low cadences is linked to knee pain are mistaken. Good to know.

Old 01-19-23, 10:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

So, all those people who say that high power at really low cadences is linked to knee pain are mistaken. Good to know.
I’m not sure how much it varies from individual to individual, but I regularly include low-rpm work in my riding/training routines, as well as ride a SS MTB from time to time. I have had zero issues with knee pain. This is just me. YMMV.
Old 01-19-23, 10:15 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

I’m not sure how much it varies from individual to individual, but I regularly include low-rpm work in my riding/training routines, as well as ride a SS MTB from time to time. I have had zero issues with knee pain. This is just me. YMMV.
When you say "low-rpm" are you talking about <40? Because that's what were talking about here.

Old 01-19-23, 10:43 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1274 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by Lombard
Bingo! Not to mention that nowadays, just about every smartphone takes excellent quality photos.

Back in the early 1990's, I knew a guy who took excellent photos with a cheap Vivitar point and shoot camera.
I would suspect that photography is one of those things that high-end gear in the hands of a highly-skilled user will get an improvement in results that is only recognized by those with a similar level of skill.
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It wouldn't take a highly-skilled user to quickly realize that a smart phone could not match an SLR with a 300/2.8 or larger lens.
Maybe, but I'm the guy who has no idea what 300/2.8 means other than it's a camera lens - LOL
peter sagan on a crappy bike would crush me in every possible cycling sport invented no matter what i ride. it wouldn’t even be remotely close.

however, i’m very confident i could take a better photo of the facial expression of a bird in flight from a normal distance with a dSLR + long lens than any pro alive or dead could take with any smartphone. the physics/optics can’t be overcome with skill.

the leica example may be true to an extent, but there one is paying for perceived quality, style, pedigree, haptics, ergonomics, etc. that isn’t really what one is paying for with a high end bike, at least not primarily.

Last edited by mschwett; 01-19-23 at 11:31 PM.
Likes For mschwett:
Old 01-19-23, 10:55 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Regarding actual bike shop profit for high-end bikes…

I reached out to an old friend who has worked in the bike industry for many decades, and he had some factual information to share with me on this topic. Shop cost for high-end bikes is usually about 25-35% below retail (varies depending on the brand). For a $14k bike, the previous guess of $5k is a little high, but isn’t far off.

There’s some things to consider, however. Some bikes are delivered mostly assembled, and are fairly quick for the shop to finish. Others are just a frame, fork, and boxes of parts, which takes hours of shop labor time to build (especially with today’s current internal routing). Most shops aren’t selling very many of these bikes, and they may be still sitting in the window past the time when the manufacturer has required payment. It also isn’t rare for shops to offer discounts (10% is typical in my area) to local club/team members, and loyal customers, so the actual sales price might be a good chunk lower than full sticker price.

All that said, it really all comes down to the basic business principle that the value of something is what it will actually sell for. If a bike sells for $14k, that is what it is worth, at that location, on that day. Whether or not you are willing to pay that much for that bike is irrelevant.

Personally, I don’t think ~30% gross profit margin is excessive in the retail world, even for a $10k+ product.
Old 01-19-23, 11:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

When you say "low-rpm" are you talking about <40? Because that's what were talking about here.
On my SS MTB, sometimes yes. A 53x11 on 0% grade on Zwift is usually in the 50s, depending on how hard I’m pushing. This is just me. Your knees aren’t my knees.
Old 01-20-23, 01:21 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Knees exploding from riding SS is gross exaggeration...
Really? You mean they don't actually explode?
Old 01-20-23, 04:57 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
SS requires a different approach and different strategy when attacking hills, you can't just sit in the saddle and expect to climb a hill like you would on a bike with granny gear...I fully understand that SS riding is not for everybody ( you either love it or you hate it ) and i would never tell anybody to follow what I do. SS may not be optimal for some terrain but to say that it's no good for climbing and it makes your knees explode is just BS. The problem with a lot of people who ride SS is that they running a gear ratio which is way to high, it's no wonder that they're having problems...BTW majority of complaints about knee problems here on bikeforums comes from people on multi geared bikes and not SS bikes, weird.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-20-23, 05:44 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
peter sagan on a crappy bike would crush me in every possible cycling sport invented no matter what i ride.
Ah, but would Peter Sagan actually want to be riding a crappy bike?
Old 01-20-23, 06:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Like, say, gears, so you can climb without your knees exploding.
Oh, the hyperbole. It's not the best tool for every job, but I've ridden singlespeeds for 40 years without any knee issues whatsoever.

I'm definitely at the Rolla end of the scale here as I enjoy powering up a hill at a relatively high gear (inefficient, but good resistance training), but in this case, you're both right. Knees are not standard issue, and what works for me might put another person into agony.
Old 01-20-23, 06:23 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

​​​​​​Wrong how? Statistically, there's no relationship between gear choice and knee injury. On the individual level? They're a better judge of their own pain than statistics.

Way too much generalization from anecdote on this subject. Where I feel I need to object is when people start telling others that their preferred gearing is going to blow out their knees. I've been on the receiving end of this sort of "advice" a lot, and it's really annoying.
Old 01-20-23, 06:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I will, from time to time, take a really big hill on the big chain ring just cuz. I'm not measuring my cadence but I'm sure it will dip below40. I've never had knee pain after doing something like that.
Old 01-20-23, 06:37 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
peter sagan on a crappy bike would crush me in every possible cycling sport invented no matter what i ride. it wouldn’t even be remotely close.
]
Now think about how embarrassed you would be if you were riding a $14,000 bike and someone with a Huffy toasted you up a hill. The advantage to riding with people who ride higher end bikes than you is that you can blame your equipment for being slow.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 01-20-23, 06:38 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Where are those people who say that SS is bad for you ?...I think you're the first person who said that SS bikes make knees explode.

Last edited by wolfchild; 01-20-23 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 01-20-23, 06:38 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4399 Post(s)
Liked 4,844 Times in 2,997 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I will, from time to time, take a really big hill on the big chain ring just cuz. I'm not measuring my cadence but I'm sure it will dip below40. I've never had knee pain after doing something like that.
That's fine then. But you are putting more stress on your knees, without a doubt. It may or may not cause you problems later on - but the increased stress is real. One of my skiing buddies was as strong as an ox, but eventually wore out his knees and had to have both replaced in his late 60s. I'm trying to avoid that scenario as best I can and that includes riding a generally higher cadence - which has loads of other benefits apart from reducing knee stress.
Likes For PeteHski:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.