Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to tubeless

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-23, 03:50 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 186 Posts
New to tubeless

Shakedown ride went great today, should I expect similar pressure drop over time compared to my tube setup? Used 95 psi with 25c’s on my old bike, 77 front, 79 rear on new bike with 28c’s. Even though I was concentrating on the new bike and new drivetrain I ended up going quicker on each segment.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Old 02-06-23, 04:12 PM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I lose about the same amount of pressure with tubeless, as tubed. I prefer orange seal endurance sealant. For pressure, see the zipp pressure calculator. https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

I'm switching over to all hookless rims for the lowest pressure. I have 23mm and 25mm IW hookless rims.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-06-23, 04:53 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
I lose about the same amount of pressure with tubeless, as tubed. I prefer orange seal endurance sealant. For pressure, see the zipp pressure calculator. https://axs.sram.com/guides/tire/pressure

I'm switching over to all hookless rims for the lowest pressure. I have 23mm and 25mm IW hookless rims.
that is what I used to determine starting pressures.

67'er
Old 02-06-23, 05:59 PM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
it depends I am using a new sealant that was made for cars and such and reformulated for regular bikes. I have gotten over a month without any air loss. last time I had air los was when the temps went from the 40s to the 20s. thats at a bit lower pis around 50 to 60.
Old 02-07-23, 02:30 PM
ratell

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
My experience was that pressure loss got better. I did two bikes at the same time. My wife's bike had a moderate amount of loss that over time became the same as tubes. I assume because of better setting of the bead and spreading of the sealant. My bike had more loss that went away when I added sealant (I assume because I got the bead set better the second time around). Now both bikes don't lose anymore air than tubed bikes.
Likes For ratell:
Old 02-07-23, 04:02 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
If you are losing a significant amount of air between rides with tubeless, you usually have a problem with the taping job. My tubeless wheels stabilize once properly installed and maintain rideable pressure over longer periods of time. My other bike is latex tubed and thus loses 10-20 psi overnight thus necessitating re-inflation each time.
Old 02-07-23, 05:41 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Also check the valve stem, and the core is tight as well. I had a small leak that ended up being the core was not tight enough.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-08-23, 07:27 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Pressure loss will depend on how well your tires beads are sealed on the rim. The type, and especially the quality of the sealant used will make a huge difference.

I always ride 20-25kms immediately after installing new TL tires and sealant. It helps create a nice seal. In fact, some tire manufacturers like Schwalbe have included this step in their mounting instructions.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-08-23, 12:52 PM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
I've been playing with tubeless tires since 2012 - mtn, road, gravel. Currently have 5 bikes, 3 of them are tubeless. I've had bootleg tubeless conversions, factory taped, self-taped (1 and 2 layers), hookless, hooked...

I can offer one sweeping generalization regarding pressure loss: Compared to Tubed, Tubeless tires lose more pressure over the same time period.

Factors include: Everything the guys already mentioned plus (or maybes its multiplied by) the installer's skill level.

Last edited by Zaskar; 02-08-23 at 01:05 PM.
Likes For Zaskar:
Old 02-08-23, 02:57 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I can offer one sweeping generalization regarding pressure loss: Compared to Tubed, Tubeless tires lose more pressure over the same time period.
Same here as far as pressure goes. I've had many tubeless setups since 2016 and pressure loss overnight is a given for me. No big deal as I check pressure before every ride.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 02-08-23, 03:02 PM
Frank72

Bikes: 2022 Ribble Endurance Disc Sport 2018 Trek Emonda Al4, 2012 Motobecane Heat Ti,

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 67 Posts
Hey my guy at the LBS showed me a trick to seal tires. Get a 5 or 3 gal bucket. After the tire is aired and has sealant, set wheel and tire flat on bucket for a couple hours and then turn over for a couple hours let sit over night turn over etc. This really did the trick for sealing a stubborn tire that did not want to stay aired.
Likes For Frank72:
Old 02-08-23, 07:22 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
^ That's a good tip. Will have to remember that one.

I've always use the "bounce and rotate" method to splash sealant all around inside the tyres, then pop the wheels back on the bike and go for a short ride!

This is a good Tubeless Install and Tips video:

Old 02-08-23, 07:51 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 948 Times in 555 Posts
Originally Posted by Frank72
Hey my guy at the LBS showed me a trick to seal tires. Get a 5 or 3 gal bucket. After the tire is aired and has sealant, set wheel and tire flat on bucket for a couple hours and then turn over for a couple hours let sit over night turn over etc. This really did the trick for sealing a stubborn tire that did not want to stay aired.
when I did mine the weather was too bad ro ride so every hour or so with nothing to do I would swirl there sealant around the tire a bit. sometimes add air if needed. Had two days to do this.
Old 02-08-23, 09:28 PM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

So…

I mounted the tires on a new build about 2 weeks before I finished the build. I seated them using an air compressor and kept them inflated to around 90 psi needing to refresh about every 2 days.

Monday AM was the time for the shakedown ride so I put 2 ozs in each tire with them off the bike, shook them back and forth then put them on the bike and spun them around good. Then I took them for a 15 mile ride.

It’s Wednesday night and they still have the pressure I set them at Monday AM. I used regular Orange Seal sealant. Tires are Schwalbe Pro One 28mm rims are Campy Shamal Carbons.

​​​​​​…
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 02-08-23, 09:51 PM
letrebici

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Great tips above. another tip if you haven't already... add a Valve core tool to your saddle bag. the little plastic ones will do, or the full sized one is still very small. check the VC when airing up before a ride.I converted my gravel bike with tubeless road tires the other day and had my second shakedown ride today and last night I checked and rear was flat. it was a loose valve core which I did not remove for installing the road tires but it was loose. I just replaced it entirely. Also pick up a package of replacement valve cores. I had them for my mt bikes. this is my first tubeless road set up. Enjoy your ride!
Old 02-08-23, 10:01 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
my valve covers are also a core tool if needed on the ride. Work really well.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-09-23, 05:07 AM
Racing Dan

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1335 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
I've been playing with tubeless tires since 2012 - mtn, road, gravel. Currently have 5 bikes, 3 of them are tubeless. I've had bootleg tubeless conversions, factory taped, self-taped (1 and 2 layers), hookless, hooked...

Factors include: Everything the guys already mentioned plus (or maybes its multiplied by) the installer's skill level.
Hardly surprising considering there is ~26 ft of tyre to rim interface to keep airtight.
Old 02-09-23, 06:47 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Hardly surprising considering there is ~26 ft of tyre to rim interface to keep airtight.
Yet, the 37' of bead on my car hasn't lost a pound in 6 months. Granted, that's 35 psi vs. 80 psi. Still, my experience with tubeless is that when they lose pressure, it doesn't stop losing pressure at 40 or 30 psi.

But, those car wheels don't have spoke holes. Hmm... Seems like that tape job is pretty important.
Old 02-09-23, 07:29 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
I buy wheels with no spoke access holes whenever possible. Many Fulcrum/Campy wheels and my BTLOS wheels require no rim tape. My Zipp wheels require tape.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 02-09-23, 07:40 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

No rim tape needed on the Shamal’s either.

67'er
Old 02-09-23, 09:10 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 445 Posts
thank you to Tempo for that vid. I have no tubeless bikes nor plans to have any, but I enjoyed learning.
Old 02-09-23, 12:19 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
I lose 5-10psi per day on most of my tubeless installs, which is comparable to what I see with regular butyl tubes on higher pressure road tires.

The main difference is that tubeless tires seem to keep losing air until they go completely flat, so if left untouched for a month or so they will go completely flat. My tubed setups will lose a lot of air, but never go completely flat.

On lower pressure setups like gravel and MTB I get a lot less pressure drop, which is also true of tubed setups. My kid's bike has tubes, and at 35psi I won't need to touch them for many weeks.
Old 02-09-23, 12:41 PM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 986 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
I lose 5-10psi per day on most of my tubeless installs, which is comparable to what I see with regular butyl tubes on higher pressure road tires.

The main difference is that tubeless tires seem to keep losing air until they go completely flat, so if left untouched for a month or so they will go completely flat. My tubed setups will lose a lot of air, but never go completely flat.

On lower pressure setups like gravel and MTB I get a lot less pressure drop, which is also true of tubed setups. My kid's bike has tubes, and at 35psi I won't need to touch them for many weeks.
10-15PSI per day? That is not normal. There must be something you are not doing right.
Old 02-09-23, 01:58 PM
msu2001la

Quoted: 1456 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
10-15PSI per day? That is not normal. There must be something you are not doing right.
I literally wrote 5-10psi but since I guess we gotta argue about these things I'll check 'em today and then again tomorrow and report back.

I use a 20 year old floor pump gauge, so we're not talking NASA accuracy here.
Old 02-09-23, 01:59 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by Shadco
No rim tape needed on the Shamal’s either.

Campagnolo 2Way fit wheels really shorten the learning curve when it comes to adopting road tubeless. I have owned my Shamal Ultra wheels for over 12 years now and setup has always been fairly easy. The earliest Hutchinson Fusion2 tires were more difficult to install than current offerings, but I quickly learned to mount them without tools and I have never had a problem getting them off either. Most of the bad experiences I have seen in this forum seem to be related to installation of rim tape which Campagnolo eliminated for their tubeless compatible wheels. BTW I also ride a LOOK
Likes For alcjphil:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.