Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

RAL Code / Tone of Shimano Components

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-23, 01:29 AM
djfetti

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

unfortunately yesterday i hit the deck with my brand new bike.

I was wondering if there is a way to find out the colour code (maybe in RAL) of the parts of shimano or if somebody else already found a good solution or colour code.

I wanted to buy a paint pen or nail polish and some sand paper to try to conceal/hide the scratches a bit.

In this case its a R8170 STI, the grey hydraulic brake leaver is damaged . (unfortunately i cannot post a foto yet since rules of this forum)

What would u guys recommend?

Thanks forehand
Old 02-12-23, 07:48 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Live with it as evidence of use. Lever rash is common.
If this is your level of attention to scratches, that you will sand and paint a lever, you are going to lose it when you get a rock chip in the frame.
Best to adjust perspective now.
I don't know of a paint pen(sold at auto stores) that matches that color black. Just buy one and try though
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 02-12-23, 04:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6945 Post(s)
Liked 10,945 Times in 4,677 Posts
The eye is drawn to bright things, like the shiny metal under the paint on your STI lever. You might just try filling it in with a black sharpie, or with some nail polish in a close shade. It’ll be fine.

I do understand being upset by dinging a brand new item… But ditto mstateglfr ’s sentiment.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-13-23, 11:24 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Just take a sharpie or other felt tip pen of the appropriate color and lessen it's affect on YOUR appreciation of your bike. None of us are going to notice it or even care if we happen to see it.

If you want a museum piece, then buy two bikes. One bike to ride and the other to remain unridden.

Learn to tell fisherman tales. Then you can concoct a tale to tell about those scratches when you are socializing with others.

Welcome to BF!
Old 02-13-23, 05:33 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked 668 Times in 280 Posts
If it bugs you that much, go ahead and sell the damaged lever and buy a new one. Not cost effective, but if you're picky and bothered by imperfections (I can be accused of this), this is the way...
Likes For Caliwild:
Old 02-13-23, 06:44 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Don't be so hard on the new person. You make it sound like we do figure 8 racing or demolition derby* on our bikes all day. Their bike is brand new, as they said, and I can understand the desire to keep it spiffy (said by the guy who rides a near 30-year-old cruiser wrapped in electrician's tape). But I remember my first new bike, and how sad I was when I wasn't paying attention to parked cars and turned my new Sakae Road Champion handlebars into half-Randnners - and what was worse, I hadn't even paid it off yet.

*Then again, I remember citizens class racing did resemble those, with a whole lot of horizontal bikes and flailing bodies. Cat 4 was slightly better, but much metal and blood was still shed.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 02-14-23 at 04:43 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-13-23, 08:08 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9652 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I get the angst. Not long after getting my current bike, I hit something and broke spokes and scratched up the fork. Not only did I buy new spokes, but I even bought a new fork. Call me crazy, but that’s how I roll.

I also put PPF on my cars. Anal fool I might be.
Old 02-14-23, 10:30 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,720 Times in 1,004 Posts
My wife had a tree limb come off a yard mowing truck and ding her door as she was driving home right after we picked up her brand new car once. She was not happy and she hounded them until that door was fixed and she could not see it. I knew better than to even discuss it as it was a losing argument.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 02-14-23, 10:38 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
I thought I was compulsive. I used a black Sharpie.

About 1 year into ownership, the rubber cover (hood) no longer held on to the lever properly. I put up with that for years before finally breaking down and spending $12 on a new one. A few weeks later, I finally hit the deck in such a way that I scratched up the lever (but not the hood). I decided to live with it. Maybe I used a grey Sharpie.

Last edited by Polaris OBark; 02-14-23 at 10:44 AM.
Old 02-14-23, 10:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
My wife had a tree limb come off a yard mowing truck and ding her door as she was driving home right after we picked up her brand new car once. She was not happy and she hounded them until that door was fixed and she could not see it. I knew better than to even discuss it as it was a losing argument.
I feel for you on that. I had similar with my wife and her new car recently!

However long ago in the previous century when bed liners were becoming all the rage, I bought a new pickup truck without a bed liner. I went to pick up some equipment from a rental agency and the guy loading the truck was afraid to push it up in the bed because he didn't want to scratch the "pretty" paint on the bed floor.

I told him to move back, it's just a pickup. I gave a good shove and left a big scratch. He got a horrified look on his face and I laughed with amusement. It's a work truck not a museum piece!
Likes For Iride01:
Old 02-14-23, 04:50 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 819 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I feel for you on that. I had similar with my wife and her new car recently!

However long ago in the previous century when bed liners were becoming all the rage, I bought a new pickup truck without a bed liner. I went to pick up some equipment from a rental agency and the guy loading the truck was afraid to push it up in the bed because he didn't want to scratch the "pretty" paint on the bed floor.

I told him to move back, it's just a pickup. I gave a good shove and left a big scratch. He got a horrified look on his face and I laughed with amusement. It's a work truck not a museum piece!
One month after I bought the Mighty Truckasaurus brand-new, friends & I took it for a weekend trip. We pulled over by the side of the road for some reason, and I scratched the heck out of the passenger side when I encountered an unseen metal delineator.

My friend and I got out, surveyed the gouge, and:

"It's got character now."
"Yup, it's a truck."
"Things happen."

We got in and that was that. And only 7-8 years later, the GM Flake-Away® OEM paint had deteriorated to the point you couldn't see the scratch amid all the other surface deterioration. And now it's on its 3rd repaint, as the Arizona sun is where even the most advanced exterior finishes go to die.

This dry yet destructive environment is also why our bikes are stored in an enclosed area, bringing the discussion back to cycling.

Last edited by RCMoeur; 02-15-23 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For RCMoeur:
Old 02-16-23, 12:28 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
I've had no success finding the code for anything I had that I wanted to touch up.
took the frame to the paint store & they mixed up the colors I needed. Was 99% accurate.
Old 02-21-23, 04:19 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by djfetti
Hi everyone,

unfortunately yesterday i hit the deck with my brand new bike.

I was wondering if there is a way to find out the colour code (maybe in RAL) of the parts of shimano or if somebody else already found a good solution or colour code.

I wanted to buy a paint pen or nail polish and some sand paper to try to conceal/hide the scratches a bit.

In this case its a R8170 STI, the grey hydraulic brake leaver is damaged . (unfortunately i cannot post a foto yet since rules of this forum)

What would u guys recommend?

Thanks forehand
A sign of a well used bike.

I've found that in general, if I need to match paint like that, often a hobby shop is the place to go. Lots of them have small vials of an amazing number of colors. But I also agree with the sentiment that you won't like how the paint touch up looks either.
Old 02-24-23, 04:16 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 666 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
If it bugs you that much, go ahead and sell the damaged lever and buy a new one. Not cost effective, but if you're picky and bothered by imperfections (I can be accused of this), this is the way...
That would be my suggestion, look at one for sale nos on ebay
Old 02-24-23, 04:49 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
Testors paint @djfetti . Try mixing two colors until you get close. Then if needed ad a touch of a third if that is what it takes. I use popsicle sticks to dip into the paint jar and mix the paint in a water or soda bottle cap since I use small quantities. Those small coffee stirrers could work if you have them.

It is best to do your mixing and painting outside even if it is cloudy to get a better color match. I usually paint inside at night since I often don't have the time to do hobbies in the daytime.