Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Road bike handlebar grip vs tennis racket overgrip?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 04:35 AM
mrund3rd09

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is there really a difference? just curious.
Old 02-16-23, 10:24 AM
thetennnispredi
Banned.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrund3rd09
Is there really a difference? just curious.
there is no difference between road bike handlebar grip vs tennis racket overgrip
Although similar in function, an overgrip is a less expensive thinner cover that's quickly wrapped on top of a replacement grip and frequently replaced to help players maximize traction and sweat absorption.
Old 02-16-23, 10:48 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
Tennis overgrips are much, much thinner.
Old 02-16-23, 10:54 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
I also prefer to get my wheels strung with cat gut @ 110 lbs.

Last edited by rsbob; 02-16-23 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-16-23, 11:00 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by thetennnispredi
there is no difference between road bike handlebar grip vs tennis racket overgrip
Although similar in function, an overgrip is a less expensive thinner cover that's quickly wrapped on top of a replacement grip and frequently replaced to help players maximize traction and sweat absorption.
Twelve-year-old single-post thread brought back by a first-time poster with what reads like AI content. First thought: are spammers beginning to experiment with ChatGPT?
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 02-16-23, 11:01 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by rsbob
I also prefer to get my wheels strung with cat gut @ 110 lbs.
Fun fact: catgut strings are not actually made from cat gut.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 02-16-23, 11:02 AM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Twelve-year-old single-post thread brought back by a first-time poster with what reads like AI content. First thought: are spammers beginning to experiment with ChatGPT?
Again?!?
Old 02-16-23, 11:47 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Could be a BF bot attempting to create discussions and clicks.(if there is such a thing)
Likes For seypat:
Old 02-16-23, 11:49 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
interesting observation.. this could be a big issue moving forward

Old 02-16-23, 12:01 PM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
First thought: are spammers beginning to experiment with ChatGPT?
Well, for reference, here is ChatGPT's reply to Road bike handlebar grip vs tennis racket overgrip?:

Road bike handlebar grips and tennis racket overgrips are designed for different purposes, so they have different features and characteristics.

Road bike handlebar grips are designed to provide a secure and comfortable grip on the handlebars during long rides. They come in various materials such as rubber, foam, or cork, and can be textured or contoured to provide a non-slip surface that is easy to grip.

Tennis racket overgrips, on the other hand, are designed to provide additional cushioning and absorb sweat during play. They are usually made of a soft, tacky material that conforms to the shape of the player's hand and provides a non-slip grip.

While some people may use tennis racket overgrips on their road bike handlebars for added cushioning or to improve grip, they are not specifically designed for this purpose and may not hold up as well under the stresses of cycling. Road bike handlebar grips are a better choice if you want a durable and comfortable grip specifically designed for cycling.

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 02-16-23, 12:33 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
Well, for reference, here is ChatGPT's reply to Road bike handlebar grip vs tennis racket overgrip?:
I know tennis and cycling, so this is interesting. Aside: my theory is that ChatCPT is actually a warehouse full of freshly graduated college students, hired to bang out online responses. Having liberal arts degrees, there is no actual intelligence behind the responses.

Here is the key problem with the response:

"While some people may use tennis racket overgrips on their road bike handlebars for added cushioning or to improve grip, they are not specifically designed for this purpose and may not hold up as well under the stresses of cycling."

Tennis is actually more stressful on wrap than cycling, as your hand is on one part of the grip all of the time, and the hand rotates back and forth many times per minute as you switch from forehand to backhand grips. I wear out tennis grips far more frequently than bike wraps, despite spending triple the time on the bike than on the court. Tennis, especially singles on hard courts, is a far greater challenge to the body overall than cycling, as you are running back and forth with all of the associated impacts. I figure that one hour of hard tennis hurts as much as 3 hours of hard cycling.
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 02-16-23, 12:52 PM
tomato coupe

Originally Posted by Dave Mayer
I know tennis and cycling, so this is interesting. Aside: my theory is that ChatCPT is actually a warehouse full of freshly graduated college students, hired to bang out online responses. Having liberal arts degrees, there is no actual intelligence behind the responses.

"While some people may use tennis racket overgrips on their road bike handlebars for added cushioning or to improve grip, they are not specifically designed for this purpose and may not hold up as well under the stresses of cycling."

Tennis is actually more stressful on wrap than cycling, as your hand is on one part of the grip all of the time, and the hand rotates back and forth many times per minute as you switch from forehand to backhand grips. I wear out tennis grips far more frequently than bike wraps, despite spending triple the time on the bike than on the court. Tennis, especially singles on hard courts, is a far greater challenge to the body overall than cycling, as you are running back and forth with all of the associated impacts. I figure that one hour of hard tennis hurts as much as 3 hours of hard cycling.
Totally irrelevant. The statement you're trying to refute has nothing to do with the longevity of a tennis overgrip when used as a tennis overgrip. It's about the relative longevity of a tennis overgrip when used as handlebar tape, compared to actual handlebar tape.
Old 02-16-23, 01:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,083 Times in 3,824 Posts
... my theory is that ChatCPT is actually a warehouse full of freshly graduated college students, hired to bang out online responses. Having liberal arts degrees, there is no actual intelligence behind the responses.
Why did you feel this was necessary?
Old 02-16-23, 01:22 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Why did you feel this was necessary?
It is a standard test to determine if one is debating with a ChatBot. Chatbots:
  • Have no understanding of humor
  • Are easily offended
  • Equate disagreements with violence.
Or is that liberal arts grads? Cannot remember....
Likes For Dave Mayer:
Old 02-16-23, 03:12 PM
Camilo

Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Totally irrelevant. The statement you're trying to refute has nothing to do with the longevity of a tennis overgrip when used as a tennis overgrip. It's about the relative longevity of a tennis overgrip when used as handlebar tape, compared to actual handlebar tape.
Geeze

• Are easily offended
And I've always thought it was engineers and scientists. I guess they could have started with BAs.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 02-16-23, 05:20 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
Geeze

And I've always thought it was engineers and scientists. I guess they could have started with BAs.
I'm only easily offended if I get lumped in with engineers.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-16-23, 06:35 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm only easily offended if I get lumped in with engineers.

LOL... I escaped the engineering trap in my last year of school when I realized, admittedly a tad late, I really did not want to be an engineer, plus all the finger pointing at my pencil holder in my shirt pocket was too much to take. I was over going to school, so I joined the Navy, which promptly sent me for more schooling.

Old 02-16-23, 11:03 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts

IMO the best tennis wrap grip to use is the leather grips.
I love both leather on bars and handles and have lots of experience playing both this classic way.
BTW, gut is most usually cow intestine and natural gut can be used to wrap bars or racket handles like in the early days of wood grips.
Old 02-17-23, 10:18 AM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Kind of a unique ZOMBIE THREAD, wouldn’t you say?
Old 02-17-23, 07:59 PM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 212 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by thetennnispredi
This post smells of AI bot just as much as...

• Are easily offended
...this post smells of grumpy Boomer.