Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Bontrager lights - charging indicators

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-23, 04:59 PM
Pearson100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I have two Bontrager lights, front - Ion Comp R 700, and rear -Ion 200 RT - which have issues with the charging indicators. For the rear Flare RT, the red light blinks for awhile, but then stops, and I have to jiggle the cord to get it to start blinking again. I can't tell when charging is finished because of this. For the front, there is no blinking at all so I have no idea what the status is. Mainly, I just leave it plugged in for a long time and hope it's fully charged.

Did I just get two duds by chance, or have others had problems with Bontrager lights?
Thanks.
Old 03-24-23, 05:11 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
I have the Ion Pro RT and Flare RT. The Ion pro faintly blinks green when it is plugged in and the Flare blinks red. I've never really paid attention I guess to the status when they should be fully charged. I plug them in in the morning before work and they are ready when I get off. I would think though that if you get the rear to blink when you wiggle the cable, you have a connection issue. Have you tried a different cable?

Old 03-24-23, 05:50 PM
Pearson100

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Yes, tried lots of different cables for the rear RT. Must be an issue with the charging port of the light then. With the front light, no charging light at all - not even a faint one!
Old 03-24-23, 06:57 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,945 Times in 1,906 Posts
try a new wall charging unit.
Old 03-24-23, 07:16 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 328 Post(s)
Liked 516 Times in 343 Posts
I have that problem with an Entity tail light. Of the 1000's of cords, only one will charge it and even then, I have to lay it down just right or it breaks contact. If the light isn't blinking, it's not charging with mine. Do your's charge only when the light blinks also? Good luck. Hopefully it has a solution for you.
Old 03-31-23, 01:44 PM
Spandex_fairy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I'm suffering from the same issue with my ion 200rt front light. It doesn't charge all the way full; it stops short at 1 bar- at least as reported by my Garmin 1040.
Old 03-31-23, 03:27 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3453 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
I used to suggest buying some tuner cleaner, but have not seen that for sale for years, especially after Radio Shack closed, etc.

You could try a drop of rubbing alcohol on the port and then wiggle the plug in the port a bit. I sometimes use rubbing alcohol to clean my USB ports if they act up.
Old 03-31-23, 03:36 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 2,304 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by Spandex_fairy
I'm suffering from the same issue with my ion 200rt front light. It doesn't charge all the way full; it stops short at 1 bar- at least as reported by my Garmin 1040.
I don't know that I would worry about that too much if the charge seems to give you the battery life you expect. It is possibly just a discrepancy between what the light considers full charge and how Garmin interprets it.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-31-23, 05:26 PM
Spandex_fairy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
I don't know that I would worry about that too much if the charge seems to give you the battery life you expect. It is possibly just a discrepancy between what the light considers full charge and how Garmin interprets it.
that's an accurate assessment. I've already exchanged lights once, thinking the first was defective. That one reported a full charge as half-full, and the green indicator light wouldn't flash when fully charged. It's either these Bontrager lights are defective from the factory, the 1040 Garmin is having initial release issues, or both.