Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery Bianchi(??) need help with ID

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 05:14 AM
shmithys

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

hi!
I've been trying to find a model of this frame for some time. I looked at many Bianchi catalogs but I can't find an identical frame..
Beneath that awful pink paint job is Bianchi's signature mint color. I don't know if it's original, but it's worth mentioning.

The serial number is: 6127685
Rear dropouts : Gipiemme

Can anyone help me decipher this bike? I'd be overjoyed.

Old 06-08-23, 07:17 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
It is a Bianchi Caurus 837. Or at least painted like one.

Last edited by styggno1; 06-08-23 at 07:38 AM.
Likes For styggno1:
Old 06-08-23, 11:28 PM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Zweiradcenter Artmann is a shop that is still around, located in the north of germany.
Caurus is low end of the palette, distinguished mostly by the groupset; i think 837 came with rx100, 840 with rx300 etc. It would amaze me if the 600 parts are original equipment. These were budget bikes, not much to write home about even with the prestigious brand name.

Last edited by martl; 06-08-23 at 11:40 PM.
Old 06-09-23, 01:50 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,081 Times in 303 Posts
Originally Posted by martl
Zweiradcenter Artmann is a shop that is still around, located in the north of germany.
Caurus is low end of the palette, distinguished mostly by the groupset; i think 837 came with rx100, 840 with rx300 etc. It would amaze me if the 600 parts are original equipment. These were budget bikes, not much to write home about even with the prestigious brand name.
Agreeing on this one being in the low end of the line - but the Caurus "series" came in all flavours - from the very low to top of line.

Last edited by styggno1; 06-09-23 at 02:00 AM.
Old 06-09-23, 04:43 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
The PROTO was a weird exception, and I guess until today no one understands why Bianchi slapped the PJ and decals of the underdog on the top tier frame, maybe to boost sales?
Anyhow, I don't think OP's bike is a Caurus, if it is a Bianchi at all. With that over the BB shell cable guide it is definitely older than the Caurus line of bikes, and the flat top fork crown without any sloping points to one of the Rekord models of late 70's. But there comes a twist, according to catalogs, top tube cable guide braze-ons appeared in 79, but with those also the BB cables were moved under the BB (I don't trust these TT braze-ons, they sopmehow have a French look, so might be later add-ons.)
Old 06-11-23, 03:01 AM
shmithys

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by styggno1
Originally Posted by martl
Originally Posted by Lattz
The PROTO was a weird exception, and I guess until today no one understands why Bianchi slapped the PJ and decals of the underdog on the top tier frame, maybe to boost sales?
Anyhow, I don't think OP's bike is a Caurus, if it is a Bianchi at all. With that over the BB shell cable guide it is definitely older than the Caurus line of bikes, and the flat top fork crown without any sloping points to one of the Rekord models of late 70's. But there comes a twist, according to catalogs, top tube cable guide braze-ons appeared in 79, but with those also the BB cables were moved under the BB (I don't trust these TT braze-ons, they sopmehow have a French look, so might be later add-ons.)
Thanks guys for the replies. I suggested that it was Bianchi because of the mint varnish, which is also not entirely correct..
The problem is that compared to any Caurus, this frame differs in cable mounts, lugs shape, etc.
This frameset is an interesting puzzle that I would like to decipher. The equipment is probably different than it came from the factory anyway, since the bike was already painted..