Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

AK Amputee here, love riding

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-23, 08:40 PM
PirateJack

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
AK Amputee here, love riding

Hey There,

I'm an AK and I love riding. I have a c-leg and I ride a Cannondale touring bike. The only modification is I use bike cleats with cleat bindings obviously and a knee spacer to keep the foot an extra inch out from the crank.

Would love to hear what other folks experience is.

Jack
Old 06-04-23, 10:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Looking forward to some pics. Interested in knowing how your hips are holding up and how you made your seat positioning...
Old 06-05-23, 12:24 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
BKA here.

I utilize egg beaters for clips as they are easier to get out of and prefer having the cleat recessed into the sole of the shoe. I also use platform pedals on one of my bikes for a ride in the city with loads of other folks. In my own case, I took one of my older legs and turned the toe inward to avoid heel strike. I have been contemplating getting a pedal extender such that I don't have to wear a leg that I have adjusted out of being any good for walking on.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 06-09-23, 08:35 AM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
A video I did a little while back

Originally Posted by zandoval
Looking forward to some pics. Interested in knowing how your hips are holding up and how you made your seat positioning...
Hmm,...the forum doesn't let me post links yet until I've done 10 posts********** weird rule. I'm attaching a text file with the url of a video I did.
Attached Files
File Type: txt
BikeVid.txt (30 Bytes, 6 views)
Likes For PirateJack:
Old 06-09-23, 08:38 AM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
My hips are pretty good. TBH, I am very fortunate to have a metabolism and body type that's ideal for an amputee to do well. I've never been overweight and have a long slim frame overall, so the "wear and tear" on my hips is less than would be the case for some folks.

I did have a hernia last year. I tend to overdue activity, don't like slowing down, when I probably should.

Seat position isn't anything all that special. I play with it to make sure it's dialed in. In the early days, (80's + early 90's) before I started getting Boch products, my knees were range limited at just below 90 degrees. Then the knee would "top" out if I didn't have the seat raised or adjusted custom. With my current and recent prosthetics, knee flexion is deeper, so this has not been an issue. The modern prosthetics are also much lighter, (titanium skeletal + foam on a carbon/fiberglass socket, so the overall performance is both much more flexible, comfortable and lighter.

Anyway, let me know if you want to catch up anytime with any other questions. I just got new tires on my ol' Cannondale and am looking forward to getting out, hopefully this weekend if schedules allow.

Last edited by PirateJack; 06-09-23 at 08:44 AM.
Old 06-11-23, 11:58 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

I have had a variety of issues over the years, but would say that my hips going out of alignment and in particular SIJ issues cause me the most recurring pain and problem. Aside from that I have been LBKA for long enough that my right knee is starting to complain about things a lot. My left knee is already toast but was advised against doing anything about it yet. Once they go in and operate on that I have to go though the healing and new device crap and I simply am not feeling it quite yet.
Old 06-12-23, 04:47 AM
PirateJack

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
I have had a variety of issues over the years, but would say that my hips going out of alignment and in particular SIJ issues cause me the most recurring pain and problem. Aside from that I have been LBKA for long enough that my right knee is starting to complain about things a lot. My left knee is already toast but was advised against doing anything about it yet. Once they go in and operate on that I have to go though the healing and new device crap and I simply am not feeling it quite yet.

Wish you the best getting thru all of that. Do you ride or have other activities to keep yourself going?
Old 06-23-23, 05:47 AM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I'm a BK for 50+ years (childhood injury).
I also use knee spacer for the amputated side, and I use 2-bolt Frog pedals/cleats. I will have to convert to SPDs when my last set of cleats wears out. I converted to mostly electric assist road bike 4.5 years ago. I still have my non-motor carbon road bike, but don't ride it much. Wind and hills are difficult for me. With the assist, I am willing to fill the bike panniers with groceries and do errands on the bike.

I'm due for replacement of knee on non-amputated side someday when it's painful. I learned last year that I have osteopenia in the hip on the amputated side. I am on mineral supplements, and being monitored for the bone density.
Old 06-23-23, 09:50 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Originally Posted by PirateJack
Wish you the best getting thru all of that. Do you ride or have other activities to keep yourself going?

For the most part not any more.

I had played paintball about every weekend for years, and probably a whole lot of the reason my right knee is so angry now, alongside the hip issues. I do far less actively than I should which is a bit of a dual edge. Not doing anything doesn't further injure my leg and whatnot, but the weight I continue to gain does. I have been playing around with fishing a bit. Not great exercise but it is fun. The last time I went I caused a bit of injury to myself, so still healing from that.