Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Run In With Animal

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Run In With Animal

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-21, 12:47 PM
Peugeot135

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Run In With Animal

Although after years of riding my bike, both to work and enjoyment, I have my share of run in with animals (rabbit, snake, squirrel, chipmunk) and insects (snail, caterpillar), I have always tried to avoid hitting or killing them. I finally met my match last Tuesday.

I had a collision with a flying Canadian goose while I was peddling hard up a little hill at about 25 km/hr. It came out seemingly from nowhere from the lake, and it hit me hard to my left chest and totally knocked me off the bike. I might be out for a couple of minutes because a jogger was calling the 911.

I ended up suffering a shoulder separation and some skin burn on my left elbow despite wearing a biking jacket. X-ray at the hospital did not show any fracture. This was nothing compared to another biking accident four years ago when I hit a fence and suffered two torn ligaments on my right shoulder.

Anyone has any run in story to tell or share?

P. S. I am 68 year old and put in over thousand of km rides per year so bike mishaps are a frequent occurrence to me.
Old 05-03-21, 12:56 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
funny you should post this on this particular weekend. i too had a runin wiht a canadian goose. although not as dramatic as yours. we both lived to tell about it. i cannot stand those darn overgrown rats with wings.
Old 05-03-21, 01:01 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,896 Times in 6,094 Posts
If they can take out a jet engine, a cyclist is nothing.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-03-21, 01:02 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
why dont cats ever want to chase those stupid nuisances away?
Old 05-03-21, 01:20 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Nearly got killed by a vulture. I was flying down a mountain and it took off and just missed flying in to me. It would have sucked if I'd hit it.

I also once came across a giant coyote chasing three deer. I stopped to watch a minute, but then realized the coyote might think I was easier prey than the deer.
Old 05-03-21, 01:25 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
What would Sully do?
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-03-21, 01:28 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Sorry for your misfortune. I have learned to Duck to avoid pigeons under freeway bridges. Nothing more foul than a face full of urban feathers.

I am even sadder to hear you did not bag the goose.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-03-21, 02:03 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Too funny. Back in grad school I worked on condensed matter physics. A scientist used to joke about the 4 TeV (tera electron volt) chicken collider. 😊

This was a jet engine test device that would propel a frozen chicken carcass at about 150 mph into a jet engine under test to see if the engine could survive a mid-air collision with a high-flying goose. Turns out the momentum of the carcass was about 4 TeV, which is rather a lot in the particle physics world.

Otto
Old 05-03-21, 03:10 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
never saw a frozen flying chicken or goose before.
Old 05-03-21, 03:17 PM
WobblyPop

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Our mighty and majestic Cobra Chicken is far from endangered.
Old 05-03-21, 03:29 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
A woman I know got hit in the head by one. Suffered a concussion and crashed, injuring her shoulder. The force of the impact caused the goose’s abdomen to rupture. It fell to the ground and literally spilled its guts on the roadway.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 03:41 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
So you're implying she had a hard cranium?
Old 05-03-21, 04:10 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Heh. A friend of mine posted this on FB 20 minutes ago. No lie.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-03-21, 04:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Geese are too greasy for my taste.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 05-03-21, 10:41 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Too funny. Back in grad school I worked on condensed matter physics. A scientist used to joke about the 4 TeV (tera electron volt) chicken collider. 😊

This was a jet engine test device that would propel a frozen chicken carcass at about 150 mph into a jet engine under test to see if the engine could survive a mid-air collision with a high-flying goose. Turns out the momentum of the carcass was about 4 TeV, which is rather a lot in the particle physics world.

Otto
pretty sure they don’t intentionally test bird strikes with frozen chickens. Not realistic, for one reason. A frozen
bird is like a 5 lb rock - not something the average engine is likely to encounter mid flight. I vaguely recall a story about a bird strike test where the chicken
projectile was shot at the aircraft canopy, with the expectation that it would glance off, maybe cracking the Perspex, but no more. Anyway, someone screwed up and fired a frozen chicken, which went through the canopy and destroyed the cockpit
Old 05-03-21, 11:07 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
pretty sure they don’t intentionally test bird strikes with frozen chickens. Not realistic, for one reason. A frozen
bird is like a 5 lb rock - not something the average engine is likely to encounter mid flight. I vaguely recall a story about a bird strike test where the chicken
projectile was shot at the aircraft canopy, with the expectation that it would glance off, maybe cracking the Perspex, but no more. Anyway, someone screwed up and fired a frozen chicken, which went through the canopy and destroyed the cockpit
My cousin, a real life mechanical engineer I've fished with, designed cockpit windshields for McDonnell Douglas bitd. He confirmed, no chicken guns involved, frozen or otherwise. Just lots of physics and math. Structural analysis is not a great fishing outing topic btw. His favorite projects were the ones that were cancelled before production, because there's no post launch product support.
Old 05-03-21, 11:16 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Litespud
Firstly, this was nearly forty years ago, so test methods have surely (?) improved. Second, the part that really caught my attention was not whether the story was true or precisely accurate regarding the test procedure, but merely that the energy of a flying bird might compare to the energy of a very highly accelerated particle. Actually, I think the bird turns out to have a lot more energy than 4TeV. 😊

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 05-03-21 at 11:26 PM.
Old 05-03-21, 11:37 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Was chased by a dog but was doing about 18 when I heard his nails clicking on the pavement behind me, I got out of the saddle and sprinted up to 26 for a short while and dropped him. Never saw the bugger.

Several suicidal squirrels on a local MUP which could never decide which direction to go, but never hit one.

Did have a chicken (not frozen) run into my front wheel and watched it bounce off and run off squawking.’

While doing a descent at 25 a deer jumped in front of me, but managed to miss it. Scared the s out of me.

Did have a few direct hit bee strikes, getting stung down my jersey, on my lower lip, and between my helmet and cycling glasses. Never fun.

The worst animal encounters have been with defective humans with anger management issues usually in pickup trucks.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-03-21 at 11:42 PM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-04-21, 05:42 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
I came across a couple sandhill cranes standing in the road the other day. One took off and headed to the field on the side, the other flew over the road and dropped a load as it passed over me. Missed by mere inches.
Old 05-04-21, 06:07 AM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
I know a lady who had a sea gull jump/fly into her rear wheel on the Tecate to Ensenada bike tour. The bird died and my friend went down due to the locked rear wheel. Lucky that no bones were broken, but much skin was left on the pavement.
Old 05-04-21, 06:29 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by downtube42
My cousin, a real life mechanical engineer I've fished with, designed cockpit windshields for McDonnell Douglas bitd. He confirmed, no chicken guns involved, frozen or otherwise. Just lots of physics and math. Structural analysis is not a great fishing outing topic btw. His favorite projects were the ones that were cancelled before production, because there's no post launch product support.
Actually, it appears the FAA and other safety agencies require these pneumatic bird cannon tests for engines and other components. For engines they are glamorously called Bird Ingestion Certification Standards.

I must have been mistaken about the frozen part as the birds are generally obtained in a frozen state and thawed before use. There was a notable failure when Rolls Royce destroyed an engine with a frozen turkey.

Otto
Old 05-04-21, 06:55 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Originally Posted by Peruano
I know a lady who had a sea gull jump/fly into her rear wheel on the Tecate to Ensenada bike tour. The bird died and my friend went down due to the locked rear wheel. Lucky that no bones were broken, but much skin was left on the pavement.
Sadly, I’ve taken out a couple of squirrels in recent years. I do watch for them because I’m concerned that one will dart into rather than under my wheel and lock the bike up. That would be bad for all concerned!

Otto
Old 05-04-21, 07:25 AM
l_Simmons000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What is next?
Old 05-04-21, 08:55 AM
KPREN

Bikes: 2008 S Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon, 2016 E Fat Titanium Bike Custom built by me.

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts
I had an encounter with running over a large raccoon on my fat bike with low tire pressure. Thump, thump like I ran over a big speed bump. I managed to keep control despite the large adrenaline rush and the raccoon got up, shook and took off. I'm sure I gave him a headache.
Old 05-04-21, 09:03 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
A friend and I were riding out in the country, and we spooked a little doe that was off the side of the road...It started running, then veered into the road and bumped into my friend as we rode by. No one was injured, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.