Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Great Lakes
Reload this Page >

Ferndale Mi:Woodward Moves Project to start

Notices
Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Old 10-07-22, 08:18 AM
detroitjim

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 48 Posts

The Woodward Moves project is scheduled to start this month 10/2022
The big focus of Woodward Moves will see the removal of traffic lanes on both northbound and southbound Woodward Avenue and the addition of bike lanes.
Conclusion of the work is dependent on this winters weather.

Full article:https://www.candgnews.com/news/woodw...this-month-877
Likes For detroitjim:
Old 10-07-22, 06:47 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,935 Times in 1,899 Posts
anything in the stovepipe projects to connect the south side of the i696 corridor to the north side? Would be interesting to see if this goes all the way up to Pontiac within five years from now. Highly doubt those Bk, RO, Bh, & BH, neighbors would have a warm welcome attitude LOL!
Old 10-10-22, 05:49 AM
twonky

Bikes: '85 mongoose ATB, Mongoose IBOC Pro Sx, Mongoose pro Titanium road bike..Paramount MT.Bike, series 70.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've found most areas, aren't too happy with bike paths, etc....as they remove traffic lane, etc...unless it''s truly a haven for cyclists....
Old 10-10-22, 06:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Originally Posted by twonky
I've found most areas, aren't too happy with bike paths, etc....as they remove traffic lane, etc...unless it''s truly a haven for cyclists....
You mean bike lanes, and the fact is that studies show drive times don’t usually increase with traffic lane removal, so it’s a fear people have initially, but I think they get over it with driving experience in the new configuration.

Many years ago, despite being an avid cyclist myself, I feared the removal of a traffic lanes (1each way) on the main road I live off of, but it worked out fine. It did not negatively impact my driving, but did really improve cycling conditions.

I think especially on a huge road like Woodward, this will have similarly inconsequential impact for motorists, and big, big bennies for everyone doing anything other than driving.

The reasons car-to-bike lane conversions work are myriad, I’m sure, but a big one is that people are such stupid-asses they don’t drive efficiently when given all the room in the world, so constraints actually help in many cases. Drivers just fan out across lanes when they can, with absolutely zero thought for how their choices impact traffic flow, and with zero regard for other road users. The “left-lane bandit” is a classic example, but there ate tons of dick moves which drivers make when given the option to do so, so removing options is usually beneficial.
Likes For chaadster:
Old 10-10-22, 06:52 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
detroitjim That’s gonna be sweet!
Old 10-10-22, 07:52 AM
detroitjim

Yes it will.....at least from 8 Mile to 696.
Old 10-18-22, 07:57 AM
detroitjim

The Detroit News announced this project the yesterday 10/17/22. Typical comments from the car folks about adding a bike lane.

Steve K
Take a congested road during rush hour used by commuters going to work and make it smaller so bicyclists can use it for exercise...Brilliant. Just a way for the politicians to say the roads are congested therefore we need mass transit.

dave f
All three people who will be using this are thrilled lmao talk about pandering

mark s
Bike lanes are a complete waste of money and space and only act to clog up motor vehicle traffic.

Van f
Bike Lane? It'll be more like a "target practice" lane

dennis d
Cut and Paste: "Driver left scene, didn't stop!"

Matthew K
At what point did society forget that the purpose of transportation is....to actually transport people? To move them quickly and safely and comfortably en masse where they want to go, when they want to go there?
So instead we get pointless virtue signaling projects designed to allow lefties to pat themselves on the back while injecting an extra dose of traffic hell on anyone who needs to go more than half a mile...great.

christopher M
Waste of money’ easily said”

donald b
It will be used just like the one on Metro Parkway, where three people use the path daily. Looks like a crowd biking to go to a Biden rally.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...e/69556683007/