Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

everything but the bike and rider

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-23, 10:44 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1273 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts

i like to ride light. still, i forget something about one in ten times i walk out the door.

the right side covers all but one ride every week. shorts, shirt, shoes, socks, helmet, gloves, HRM, phone, and card key or housekeys. shirts vary in sleeve length or color. for a very cold day i'll add a shell jacket (not pictured!), that's probably one out of ten rides in a year.

for the weekend, if >35 but <90, add credit card, transit card, some cash, bottle w/gatorade, some fruit strips. >90, add multitool, co2, inflator, quick link, tubeless plugs, battery.

i've never had to use anything in the tool bag - the one ride i might have benefited, i had a different multitool which didn't have chain pliers.

what does everyone take with them on rides?

Old 02-22-23, 10:56 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
You don’t take a flat kit or multitool unless it’s a 90 mile ride?
Old 02-22-23, 11:01 PM
DonkeyShow

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 141 Posts
Bluetooth speaker, tablet, vape pen.
Likes For DonkeyShow:
Old 02-22-23, 11:09 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by caloso
You don’t take a flat kit or multitool unless it’s a 90 mile ride?
no. in 10,000+ miles on road tubeless i have not had a single ride-ending flat. for the 1,000 miles i rode with tubes, i had 5 or more flats and then gave up on tubes. during that time i rode with a flat kit but it honestly kind of ruined the experience for me, usually with somewhere to be after the ride, i'm f'ing around on the side of the road. never got good enough at it to make it routine.

if i'm less than 30 miles from home, the bike will just go in the back of an uber. obviously not what i would do on a multi-day tour, very far from home, etc, but i haven't had time for riding like that. i do around 100-150 miles a week, 3x20-30 and 1x50-100.
Old 02-23-23, 02:35 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i like to ride light.
Me too. I think you can save a few grams by taking a light weight garage remote (clicker) instead of your keys or program your phone to open your garage door with one of these:

myQ Chamberlain Smart Garage Control - Wireless Garage Hub and Sensor with Wifi & Bluetooth - Smartphone Controlled, myQ-G0401-ES, White - - Amazon.com

Or get a smart lock for your door. I likewise don't bring tools or a spare tube. In > 5 years of riding, I have called my wife once (RD shift cable broke), taken an Uber XL once (saddle came loose), and walked home once (flat from riding over a brick). I suppose walking is no longer an option when I am riding my road bike with the new SPD-SL pedals.
Old 02-23-23, 07:13 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 988 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 439 Posts
Me too. I never carry anything else than my cellphone (which is my car key, my wallet and my music), 1-2 bars a small hex tool to remove wheels.

I call the towing (girlfriend) in case I need it. So far, it happens once per year and it's usually a flat. Tubeless is great for this.
Old 02-23-23, 07:52 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10165 Post(s)
Liked 5,856 Times in 3,153 Posts
I do my weekday workouts one leg of my commute, so add to the basics a small backpack with a minimum of underwear, socks, shirt, glasses, food, and an extra t-shirt if I'm going to use the weight room. My PIV card goes in an armband. On a cold day, I count about 14 articles of clothing. If it's going to be warmer in the afternoon, I may have to bring lighter gloves and cap, knee warmers, etc.

It only takes a minor distraction in the morning to screw it up.
Old 02-23-23, 08:18 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Why call for help if a rear derailleur cable breaks? Just pick an intermediate gear, lock the derailleur in place with the limit screws, and ride home on a two-speed.

Well, it's an option.
Old 02-23-23, 09:34 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Depends.
On one local mountain stretch that is out of cell service range and the road is frequently closed due to debris or fire danger, I'll bring a spare tire as well and use a SPD pedal/cleat system in case of a hike-a-bike.
Old 02-23-23, 10:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
No glasses? I'd use some sort of eye protection whether tinted or clear. Dragonfly's really smart when they smack into my head. And they taste terrible. Hate to think what they'd do to my eyes.

Also I'd take two bottles unless the ride is going to be an hour or less.
Old 02-23-23, 10:09 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I do my weekday workouts one leg of my commute, so add to the basics a small backpack with a minimum of underwear, socks, shirt, glasses, food, and an extra t-shirt if I'm going to use the weight room. My PIV card goes in an armband. On a cold day, I count about 14 articles of clothing. If it's going to be warmer in the afternoon, I may have to bring lighter gloves and cap, knee warmers, etc.

It only takes a minor distraction in the morning to screw it up.
when i ride from work (most all weekday rides) the main issue is forgetting to put something in my backpack on the way in. often the HRM strap. a few times i’ve done the ride on the way in, adding an hour of hills to the commute, but i don’t love riding with my work shoes and clothes in a backpack. if i leave work shoes at the office, for some reason over time i end up stockpiling shoes there.

Last edited by mschwett; 02-23-23 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-23-23, 10:14 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by Iride01
No glasses? I'd use some sort of eye protection whether tinted or clear. Dragonfly's really smart when they smack into my head. And they taste terrible. Hate to think what they'd do to my eyes.

Also I'd take two bottles unless the ride is going to be an hour or less.
i don’t seem to require all that much hydration - likely because it’s fairly cool and damp here - but for > 3 hours i stop once and refill the bottle plus drink 12-20oz at the stop.

don’t like wearing glasses, but we don’t have a lot of bugs here. i’m sure it’s a must in buggier climes. i do wear contacts (not pictured lol) and i did hit a fly once last summer. a few more bugs that time of year.
Old 02-23-23, 10:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

when i ride from work (most all weekday rides) the main issue is forgetting to put something in my backpack on the way in. often the HRM strap. a few times i’ve done the ride on the way in, adding an hour of hills to the commute, but i don’t love riding with my work shoes and clothes in a backpack. if i leave work shoes at the office, for some reason over time i end up stockpiling shoes there.
I have three pairs of shoes, a nice Irish tweed jacket, a few ties, workout clothes, and assorted other stuff at work. I wait for unrideable weather to sort things out. I use watch HR on commutes for exactly the reason you cite.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-23-23, 10:38 AM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
I have three pairs of shoes, a nice Irish tweed jacket, a few ties, workout clothes, and assorted other stuff at work. I wait for unrideable weather to sort things out. I use watch HR on commutes for exactly the reason you cite.
it’s an annoying detail, but our bike room and showers/lockers are in a basement level, and the lockers there are day use only. and the $?&@?$!!? security team actually clears them out pretty often. so to leave clothes there, i’d have to leave them on our floors (two elevator rides from the basement) which would mean going up in my cleats and bike gear, getting stuff, and bringing it back down to the bike level. pretty stupid, and not really into my coworkers checking out my outfit 😂

and of course i’d have to park the bike in the basement FIRST, so it’s really a hassle. it’s like that logic problem with the river and the boat and the fox 😂
Old 02-23-23, 10:53 AM
MoAlpha
• —

it’s an annoying detail, but our bike room and showers/lockers are in a basement level, and the lockers there are day use only. and the $?&@?$!!? security team actually clears them out pretty often. so to leave clothes there, i’d have to leave them on our floors (two elevator rides from the basement) which would mean going up in my cleats and bike gear, getting stuff, and bringing it back down to the bike level. pretty stupid, and not really into my coworkers checking out my outfit 😂

and of course i’d have to park the bike in the basement FIRST, so it’s really a hassle. it’s like that logic problem with the river and the boat and the fox 😂
I partially solve that problem by not showering, although I still have the elevator ride from the garage. 33 years, no complaints.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-23-23, 11:00 AM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 1,464 Times in 1,013 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Why call for help if a rear derailleur cable breaks? Just pick an intermediate gear, lock the derailleur in place with the limit screws, and ride home on a two-speed.

Well, it's an option.
Because I don't carry tools. Although another BF member has said to wedge a small branch in the RD parallelogram to move it onto a bigger cog. To prevent this from happening again I will just replace my shift cables every other year.
Old 02-23-23, 11:50 AM
ummed

Bikes: 2009 S-Works Tarmac SL2, 2012 S-Works Venge, 2014 Specialized CruX Pro, 2019 S-Works Tarmac SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I actually raced a crit like that once...
Likes For ummed:
Old 02-23-23, 12:06 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10423 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Every ride, no matter how short:
On me, apart from clothes:
  • Left wrist: Casio G-shock watch
  • Right wrist: Road ID bracelet with emergency info.
  • Left jersey pocket: Ziploc bag with phone, drivers license, health insurance card, debit card, $5. If driving to start of ride, add car insurance card
  • Right jersey pocket: house keys. If driving to start of ride, add car key fob. If riding >1hr, add snacks, generally a gel or two and a package of chews and/or a bar.
  • Center jersey pocket: cleat covers, minipump if the bike won't hold a frame pump.
On the bike:
  • Bars: Garmin head unit, USB rechargeable white flashy light.
  • Frame: pump if one will fit. 1 bottle of water for rides up to 2hr. Beyond that, 2 bottles with water and/or drink mix depending on ambient temp.
  • Saddle/seatpost: saddle bag containing 1 tube, 1 multitool, 1 instant patch kit, 2 tire levers. Garmin Varia (radar only). USB rechargeable tail light.
On the rare occasions when I ride tubulars, replace saddle bag with folded tire, and add ziploc with small bottle tire sealant and valve wrench to center jersey pocket.

The great thing about always taking the same stuff is that I don't have to think about it. Everything I take with me is something I have needed on a ride at one point or another.

Oh, and I try to avoid the broken cable thing by changing cables before they need it because riding 30 miles home in one gear with 1600 feet of climbing is not my idea of fun.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles

Last edited by genejockey; 02-23-23 at 04:04 PM.
Old 02-23-23, 12:19 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

I don't ride "from work", because in all the time I've lived here, I haven't worked in a place where riding from there would be any fun. Mostly I've worked in South San Francisco, east of 101 - NOT conducive to bike riding. Now I'm working at the base of Mt San Bruno, so I might consider that, but then I'd get back to work all sweaty and I don't really like showering at work. AND I don't like driving 20 miles home all sweaty, either. AND I don't want to start a ride going up a 6% gradient for a couple miles with no warm up, but before we leave this facility in April, I am going to do the climb all the way up including Radio Rd.

If I ride AFTER work, I bring a tote bag with jersey, shorts, socks, sandals, ziploc bag for license etc., watch and ID bracelet mentioned above. I change in the lockable "All Gender" restroom, and put my street clothes in the bag. In the car, I put a basket with helmet, shoes, gloves, snacks, etc, so I can change when I reach my starting point - which, for all you Bay Areans, is Canada Rd at Edgewood.

Old 02-23-23, 12:28 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,294 Times in 2,946 Posts
No on the phone, HRM, house keys, key card, credit card, transit card, batteries, quick link, and gloves.
Old 02-23-23, 04:01 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
No on the phone, HRM, house keys, key card, credit card, transit card, batteries, quick link, and gloves.
sooooo nothing but clothes and some cash? how do you get back inside? 😂
Old 02-23-23, 04:07 PM
mschwett 

Originally Posted by genejockey
…back to work all sweaty and I don't really like showering at work. AND I don't like driving 20 miles home all sweaty…
yeah. i was really anti showering at work, but with the showers/lockers/bike room on a separate level with essentially a separate entrance (i just ride in through the garage, don’t go through the passenger lobby) i’ve gotten to embrace it. it works well except when i forget to put an important item in my backpack in the AM. i just ride in in the AM on my road bike in street shoes/clothes with the shorts, shirt, shoes, socks, hrm, phone, and gloves in the backpack. usually the best time to squeeze in a ride is lunchtime.
Old 02-23-23, 04:29 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Pound on the glass, shouting, "ELAINE!!!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 02-23-23, 04:43 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,294 Times in 2,946 Posts
Punch in a code.
Old 02-23-23, 04:47 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Punch in a code.
Killjoy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.