Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Hard workout + dehydration + Protein Powder =s Kidney Pain?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Old 04-10-23, 05:19 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,429 Times in 2,826 Posts

Yesterday I rode my trainer indoor for 1:40 with both windows and fans on. It was a very tough session climbing 3,000’ and working to better my PR, which I did by over 2 minutes. I drank two very large glasses of water during that time while sweating profusely. Upon finishing, I had a 8 oz glass of water with a whey protein powder followed by a 16 oz glass of electrolyte replenisher. Had another 16 oz glass of water and a glass of wine with dinner. Surprisingly, I wasn’t peeing much but figured I was dehydrated.

This morning, weighed myself and was down 2 lbs from yesterday and was pleased. Went about normal morning stuff and had two cups of coffee. About a half hour after the second cup I had, for the first time ever, excruciating pain in my right kidney area. It lasted about 15 mins and felt shocky with cold sweats and nausea. Laid down and slowly dissipated to just a tiny bit of residual soreness. Have been drinking water like a fiend afterward with no blood or discoloration.

My pain after 6 hours is down to a 1 but is being persistent. If I have another attack, it’s off to the ER. My self diagnosis, as dangerous as it is, too much fluid loss, protein drink and maybe not enough fluids after workout is the cause. So don’t be like me and push yourself too hard for too long in a cool, but not cold, room.

Old 04-11-23, 08:39 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yesterday I rode my trainer indoor for 1:40 with both windows and fans on. It was a very tough session climbing 3,000’ and working to better my PR, which I did by over 2 minutes. I drank two very large glasses of water during that time while sweating profusely. Upon finishing, I had a 8 oz glass of water with a whey protein powder followed by a 16 oz glass of electrolyte replenisher. Had another 16 oz glass of water and a glass of wine with dinner. Surprisingly, I wasn’t peeing much but figured I was dehydrated.

This morning, weighed myself and was down 2 lbs from yesterday and was pleased. Went about normal morning stuff and had two cups of coffee. About a half hour after the second cup I had, for the first time ever, excruciating pain in my right kidney area. It lasted about 15 mins and felt shocky with cold sweats and nausea. Laid down and slowly dissipated to just a tiny bit of residual soreness. Have been drinking water like a fiend afterward with no blood or discoloration.

My pain after 6 hours is down to a 1 but is being persistent. If I have another attack, it’s off to the ER. My self diagnosis, as dangerous as it is, too much fluid loss, protein drink and maybe not enough fluids after workout is the cause. So don’t be like me and push yourself too hard for too long in a cool, but not cold, room.
Almost certainly a stone in the ureter and unrelated to anything you did recently. Keep pounding the fluids and call your doc.

Kidney insults from dehydration, disease, poisoning etc. do not cause pain.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-11-23, 10:38 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 492 Times in 153 Posts
Classic kidney stone. I've had many but none in the past 20 years. Get into a doctor. Nothing to do with your bicycle riding.
Likes For gobicycling:
Old 04-11-23, 10:44 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Almost certainly a stone in the ureter and unrelated to anything you did recently. Keep pounding the fluids and call your doc.

Originally Posted by gobicycling
Classic kidney stone. I've had many but none in the past 20 years. Get into a doctor. Nothing to do with your bicycle riding.
Thanks gentlemen for the sage advice. The good news is that this AM I am completely fine. No pain, no issues what so ever. My father who is a retired MD suggested a urinalysis and x-ray which will be postponed unless there is a recurrence. Much appreciated

Old 04-11-23, 12:18 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1751 Post(s)
Liked 1,422 Times in 973 Posts
It sounds like classic kidney stone symptoms. My brother had them and its was not comfortable getting them to "pass', Unless they are large and need surgical removal, there's not much you can do except drink water to get them to pass out of your system. The best way to prevent them is making sure you drink enough water during the day, every day. I probably drink 3-4 liters per day, occasionally more. I don't know if electrolyte drinks help or contribute to stone formation (calcium and other minerals building up in the kidneys), but you might want to keep track of how much of those you consume and ask your doctor about them. I haven't used supplements or electrolytes in decades, and don't use vitamin or mineral supplements.
Old 04-11-23, 05:07 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Thanks gentlemen for the sage advice. The good news is that this AM I am completely fine. No pain, no issues what so ever. My father who is a retired MD suggested a urinalysis and x-ray which will be postponed unless there is a recurrence. Much appreciated
At the time I had so many kidney stones I was taking a drug called tegretol. Once I was able to replace tegretol with another drug, the kidney stones stopped like magic.
Old 04-11-23, 06:22 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

At the time I had so many kidney stones I was taking a drug called tegretol. Once I was able to replace tegretol with another drug, the kidney stones stopped like magic.
That is fantastic news. Considering you had multiple occurrences you have my full sympathies. My wife has had three, all of which prompted trips to the ER. I was ‘lucky’. Cheers

Old 04-11-23, 07:18 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

That is fantastic news. Considering you had multiple occurrences you have my full sympathies. My wife has had three, all of which prompted trips to the ER. I was ‘lucky’. Cheers
While I was in my thirties doing research for my doctoral dissertation, I was in Pueblo, about a hundred miles from my home. I stayed in a motel and all night long I was in extreme pain and only thing I could do is to Walk and Walk and Walk. I did not know that I had a kidney stone. That was my introduction. The next day I had to work with my research group, all the while suffering with a kidney stone, They are not fun. It finally passed.
Old 04-19-23, 01:28 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by MoAlpha

You are both spot on. Had another occurrence yesterday, but not as severe and had an exam, X-ray, blood and urinalysis done this AM. The X-ray showed another stone in my left kidney - the results of the urinalysis and blood are not back. My physician is recommending a scan in the next few days for a definitive diagnosis. Still pounding fluids and hoping the left one doesn’t pass soon - so I have a break. Am discontinuing beet extract and whey protein powder unless my physician thinks they are completely unrelated - but never had this issue before beginning them.