Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

I Hate Garmin

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-23, 03:10 PM
gene99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I Hate Garmin

I'm writing this while I'm still pissed, b/c it's been about 3 days and I can't get my Garmin Edge 130 plus out of sync mode. And I can't download what the unit said is a software update. I just looked at my clock and I've probably been at this about 2 hours. This is on top of the couple - 3 hours I spent on this a few days ago. And the Garmin website is USELESS. I'll have to call Monday and waste more time.

Garmin Connect is supposed to auto sync w/my Edge and other Garmin devices. But of course it never does. And when I do it manually there is often a glich. Also, Connect always says "Complete setup" b/c I don't want to do the emergency notification feature - which doesn't let you decline. No, Garmin, I don't want to give you tel numbers/info of other people.

Yes, I'm VERY frustrated at the moment, and when they work my Garmin devices are good. But there are clearly gaps in the software of the apps and devices. And we know they know this -- but IMO they're willing to live with some level of dissatisfaction by users as long as their bottom line isn't affected. That's not right.

So righ now, I HATE GARMIN.

Thanks for listening.
Old 04-15-23, 03:22 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,796 Posts
Attach it to a desktop computer via USB and update it that way. If that fails, wipe it and set it up again.

It should take no for an answer for the emergency contact. Mine do (including wife's 130+).
Old 04-15-23, 03:45 PM
Bald Paul

Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 1,653 Times in 780 Posts
Press and hold the POWER button for about 20 seconds. This will force the unit to a soft reset. Then follow Polaris OBark's suggestion.

"No, Garmin, I don't want to give you tel numbers/info of other people." Oh, I wouldn't worry too much about that. After all, anytime you use a GPS unit on your ride, your location information is transmitted to the mother ship of the aliens from Flattirera, who then decide if they want to send down their death ray beam to your wheel and free all the trapped air inside.
Old 04-15-23, 03:45 PM
gene99

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
Attach it to a desktop computer via USB and update it that way. If that fails, wipe it and set it up again.

It should take no for an answer for the emergency contact. Mine do (including wife's 130+).
Thanks for the response.
Garmin Connect does not take "no" for an answer on my iphone.
And, I've already done the wipe/reconnect twice. And tried to use Garmin Express -- which refuses to find my unit.
Old 04-15-23, 03:53 PM
gene99

Thanks - already done a reset.
Old 04-15-23, 04:05 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Quoted: 2238 Post(s)
Liked 3,432 Times in 1,796 Posts
But try doing the update via USB.

Also, if you have a lot rides in there (saved as individual files), you might have to delete them manually to create enough space for the update.

These kinds of things shouldn't happen, but they sometimes do.
Old 04-15-23, 04:16 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Originally Posted by gene99
Thanks for the response.
Garmin Connect does not take "no" for an answer on my iphone.
And, I've already done the wipe/reconnect twice. And tried to use Garmin Express -- which refuses to find my unit.
Make sure when you attempt an Express connection that you are using a data cable for a Garmin. Not all cables will work.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-15-23, 04:25 PM
margoC

Bikes: Caloi MTB, Raleigh heritage international

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
I have a love/hate relationship with garmin. I love my devices when they work but heaven help you if you have a problem. After I updated one of my handhelds it incorrectly interprets the battery state. Also, my map that I purchased by garmin no longer works. Luckily I get the free ones on gpsfilesdepot.com. I got this one for someone else to use on a boat but we got rid of the boat so I was using it in my handheld. It worked fine until it didn't.

And don't get me started on stupid features and lack of useful features. For instance, on my 64 (and others) there is an "odometer" feature. You cannot clear it. It is the result of where you've gone the entire time you've been using the GPSr. This is different from the trip odometer that you can reset.

But there is only one trip odometer. So If I want to record the distance of a particular leg of a trail I'm hiking I can't. I could if I could clear the trip odometer. My car has two trip odometers. I think I've had bike computers that have had more than one. So I called garmin to see if how I could clear the "odometer". They said I wouid have to do a factory reset. In other words lose all my carefully recorded tracks and waypoints, and who knows what else. I know I know, I already have them backed up but that's not the point. I asked the garmin person in what circumstance would that feature be useful, an odometer that could not be reset by the user. What information is it giving someone? They got quiet and I hung up.

But is seems there is no alternative so I will keep on using them and just dealing with their lazy software issues.

Don't get me started on basecamp.
Old 04-15-23, 04:49 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
A lot of good advice here. I'll add that, if none of it works, you might try calling Garmin. It's been a couple years, but when I had issues and called them a couple times, they were very prompt and helpful.
Old 04-15-23, 09:23 PM
gene99

Originally Posted by Steve B.
Make sure when you attempt an Express connection that you are using a data cable for a Garmin. Not all cables will work.
garmin specifies a USB cable, not a garmin cable. but i'll try a different one. thanks.
Old 04-16-23, 05:24 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 366 Posts
This.
A lot of my rechargeable bike lights come with USB cables that don't have data lines.
Likes For znomit:
Old 04-16-23, 06:23 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 939 Posts
garmin specifies a USB cable, not a garmin cable. but i'll try a different one. thanks.
It doesn’t have to be a Garmin cable.

There are two types of USB cable.
  1. Charging only (which will not work).
  2. Charging and data.
There is usually no visual way to tell them apart.

Garmin’s cable is the second type (and, conveniently, has Garmin printed on it).
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 04-16-23, 09:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you are having an issue with your Garmin device and the Garmin App then call Garmin support. You can opt to leave your call back number with them and they will call you back. That way you don't have to sit on hold in the phone queue and can go about your business.

Doesn't matter whether your device is new or very old.
Old 04-16-23, 10:56 AM
mpetry912 
aged to perfection

Bikes: Dinucci Allez 2.0, Richard Sachs, Alex Singer, Serotta, Masi GC, Raleigh Pro Mk.1, Hetchins, etc

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,254 Times in 662 Posts
the comment made above about the device being completely full is telling.

Eventually you have to delete some ride files (*.fit)

that could well be why you are having difficulty. Hold the power button down for 30 sec.

the problem I've had with Garmin devices is that the USB socket will not connect, contacts worn.

otherwise I'm a fan

good luck.

/markp
Old 04-16-23, 12:00 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
My experience with Garmin Customer Support was excellent. I had a small cheap computer that insisted on turning my Bontrager flashers off. I called Garmin, sent in the unit, and they sent me an upgraded version (factory reconditioned) at no charge. I don't keep ride records so that was not a big deal.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 04-16-23, 12:30 PM
gene99

long story short i listened to some advice here and was able to finally get the unit to sync with Express (which i had to reinstall), got the software update and sync. don't know if it will sync thru Connect yet.
went back to look at solutions on the Garmin website: IMO a Tower of Babel. much better advice here. thanks all. (i still hate Garmin.)
Likes For gene99:
Old 04-16-23, 02:36 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
long story short i listened to some advice here and was able to finally get the unit to sync with Express (which i had to reinstall), got the software update and sync. don't know if it will sync thru Connect yet.
went back to look at solutions on the Garmin website: IMO a Tower of Babel. much better advice here. thanks all. (i still hate Garmin.)
Don't forget to clear out history. The devices do not perform well and give all sorts of errors when the ride history is full.
Likes For Steve B.:
Old 04-16-23, 07:12 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
My experience with Garmin Customer Support was excellent. I had a small cheap computer that insisted on turning my Bontrager flashers off. I called Garmin, sent in the unit, and they sent me an upgraded version (factory reconditioned) at no charge. I don't keep ride records so that was not a big deal.
One thing to check is if there are two Bluetooth Garmin Bluetooth devices in the settings both are connected. I have an Edge 1030 and it will not always sync unless both are connected. May not apply to you but I have to have the Wifi on the iPhone on for messages to pop up.
Old 04-16-23, 07:13 PM
biker128pedal

Bikes: 2022 Fuel EX 8, 2021 Domane SL6, Black Beta (Nashbar frame), 2004 Trek 1000C for the trainer

Quoted: 270 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 266 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
One thing to check is if there are two Bluetooth Garmin Bluetooth devices in the settings both are connected. I have an Edge 1030 and it will not always sync unless both are connected. May not apply to you but I have to have the Wifi on the iPhone on for messages to pop up.
Old 04-16-23, 08:48 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6962 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Don't forget to clear out history. The devices do not perform well and give all sorts of errors when the ride history is full.
Is there a way to delete old ride files en masse - without hooking it up to a computer? I've just been swiping left on them, one at a time, and then hitting the 'delete' button.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 04-17-23, 08:12 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,696 Times in 2,517 Posts
I wish people on their forums would go back and say what worked for them more often. I usually find what I want there. I also still hate garmin, they can never pay me back for the crap I've had to put up with due to their products. I'm just hoping Wahoo sticks around, otherwise garmin will go back to never updating their devices.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 04-18-23, 11:58 AM
gene99

so i called Garmin re an issue with finishing setup on my Connect account, and the person i spoke to inisited there is no need to clear history on the unit. he said it will do that automatically if needed, and/or compress files if an update requires.
Old 04-18-23, 12:28 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
So did you get your original issue resolved when you called support? The suggestion of clearing the memory may have been a red herring that you shouldn't focus on.
Old 04-18-23, 12:34 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4254 Post(s)
Liked 1,353 Times in 939 Posts
so i called Garmin re an issue with finishing setup on my Connect account, and the person i spoke to inisited there is no need to clear history on the unit. he said it will do that automatically if needed, and/or compress files if an update requires.
The Garmins are supposed to delete old activity files when there are more than 200 of them. But this process appears not to always work.

If people are having odd issues with their Garmin unit, it might make sense to clear-out the activity files. If these files are being uploaded to Garmin Connect, there’s (generally) no reason to keep them on the unit anyway.

There’s a limit of 100 courses and these are not deleted by the unit. So, these have to be deleted by the user if there are too many of them.

The Garmin devices don’t compress files.

The problem with activity and course files isn’t with having enough free space. The problem is related to the number of files (which wouldn’t be affected by compression).
Old 04-18-23, 12:44 PM
gene99

so before i spoke to Garmin i started to delete files, but found the only way was individually on the unit. (i delected them on Express but it didn't also delete them on the unit.)

any other way to do this? (so it doesn't take forever.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.