Search
Notices
Adaptive Cycling: Handcycles, Amputee Adaptation, Visual Impairment, and Other Needs Have a need for adaptive equipment to ride to compensate for a disability or loss of limb or function? This area is for discussion among those of us in the cycling world that are coming back from traumatic circumstances and tell the world, "No, you are not going to beat me down!"

Ebike gone hello etrike

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 06:59 PM
Midnight Shadow

Bikes: Azub Ti-Fly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ebike gone hello etrike

After some neurosurgery the friendly neurosurgeon explained my days on my regular bike and my ebike were over. He suggested an etrike with the best suspension and comfortable seat I could fine. I sold my ebike, Orbea Gain, and gave my regular Trek bike away.
I have a type of neuropathy that there is nothing that can be done for it, and it will only get worse. I had a hard time selling my Orbea Gain ebike as I so much enjoyed riding it. However, I am having balance issues becasue of the neuropathy and getting on and off the bike was troublesome and I sometimes fell because of my balance , and my legs just would not hold me up.
I now am waiting for my Azub Ti-Fly to be completed and sent to me.
I am concerned about my leg strength and thinking I will buy a Sports Crafter Overdrive Trike trainer or a double Overdrive Trike Trainer. I am wondering if anyone has tried these and if so which one they bought and why. I see some advantage in buy the double overdrive because it offers more resistance but not having used one, I wonder is it overkill for me. Any thoughts about them would be appreciated.
Midnight Shadow
Old 05-25-23, 07:52 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
Anyone who has switched from an upright bike to a recumbent trike learns that a different set of muscles is involved in propelling them so some of the fitness does not carry over. I'd suggest trying out the trike before buying a trainer. It's not a lot of money but may not be necessary this time of year since you can get outside in every part of the US. It takes a while to build the muscles to get your "trike legs". The less you rely on the e-assist, the faster that will happen.
I don't know which model you bought but some are pretty pricey without adding e-assist - as high as nearly $8K for full suspension titanium frame models. It is a decent recognized brand. You might get more information at Bentrideronline.com. There are likely to be some who already own the model you are buying. You might even find a review of the trainer or some who can advise you on how it works. I gave up on trainers years ago with a road bike version. Too darn boring compared to actually getting out on the road and riding.