Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can You Track Stand?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Can you track stand?
Yes, I can stick it
29.41%
Almost, move forward a little bit
32.35%
No, hell no...
38.24%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Can You Track Stand?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-23, 02:15 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
It's really only useful as a tactic in competition. Anything else is just showing off.
It's useful in the city grid. I can ride around the city for hours and never touch the ground with a foot. I track stand every red light that i can not run. Not as crucial since I gave up clipping in but still do it daily.
Likes For JoeyBike:
Old 05-30-23, 02:21 PM
RCMoeur 
Cantilever believer

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked 1,804 Times in 818 Posts
It would seem to me that putting a lot of weight on the pedal while going nowhere might be more stress on the chain than when the bike is moving. So a pin or link getting slightly deformed every time one does such a thing might result in the chain wearing out quicker.

It's only something I wonder about, not that I know it is an absolute issue.

Similarly I wonder if those that wear out their chains quickly tend to be those that use a lot of power to climb and accelerate or even regularly do track stands. It might offer an explanation for why some that go to great lengths to care for their chain have a short chain life and I do very little for my chain and they last a long time.

Again, it's just something I wonder about. Not that I know.
Instantaneous stress (below the yield point) doesn't typically wear out steel parts like a chain. Moving wear as a chain runs across the sprockets bathed in a mix of lubricant and rubbing compound dirt does typically wear them out. A ferocious sprinter riding a enclosed-chain-case 3 speed might break parts but won't excessively wear the chain, as it's kept clean inside the case. Also, my recumbent has a 30-year-old chain with about 10,000 miles but about zero measurable wear as it only runs through the cogs about half as often and is higher than a typical chain.

I recall one of the initial fears of narrower chains was sudden breakage due to less metal cross-section. A mis-pressed pin can indeed cause disaster as the tolerances are much tighter and the pins are generally mushroomed, but overall the narrower chains (even the 13-speeds on the market) don't seem associated with sudden chain snappage.
Old 05-30-23, 02:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Yep. If I have a little bit of an incline to work against, I can pretty easily out-wait any traffic signal.
Same. On most streets you can just use the crown of the road.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-30-23, 02:29 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4926 Post(s)
Liked 8,056 Times in 3,809 Posts
It would seem to me that putting a lot of weight on the pedal while going nowhere might be more stress on the chain than when the bike is moving. So a pin or link getting slightly deformed every time one does such a thing might result in the chain wearing out quicker.

It's only something I wonder about, not that I know it is an absolute issue.

Similarly I wonder if those that wear out their chains quickly tend to be those that use a lot of power to climb and accelerate or even regularly do track stands. It might offer an explanation for why some that go to great lengths to care for their chain have a short chain life and I do very little for my chain and they last a long time.

Again, it's just something I wonder about. Not that I know.
When I'm track-standing, my weight is on both pedals, slightly favored on the forward pedal. It seems to me the tension on the chain is a lot less than it is under a lot of normal riding conditions.
Old 05-30-23, 02:35 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 896 Times in 440 Posts
I used to be able to, pretty well. Well enough to win a 'slow race' when I was a teenager.

'Slow racing' on my old Paramount

It was the second time I got my picture in the newspaper. The first was with my brother, sledding on old-fashioned sleds on Mt. Lemmon.

The third was as an adult, riding out front of a huge pack of motorcycles at the Red River motorcycle rally maybe fifteen years ago. Glad it wasn't this year's, with the shoot-out last Friday.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 05-30-23, 05:44 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
I’m downright embarrassed that I cant track stand. I claim to be a messenger! It’s shameful honestly.

can’t wheelie either. Finally learning how to bunny hop, after years of trying and failing, so maybe there is hope
Old 05-30-23, 06:22 PM
Chuck Naill

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Ironically a former neighbor gave me a light one Sunday afternoon while I was climbing a hill near his abode. His dog scared the living daylights out of me a few years before. We had exchanged words then. Anyway, for some reason he thought it was my light. I accepted the gift and found I had a USB cord to fit.
Old 05-30-23, 08:20 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2566 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Why would I want to?
As my 20 year old girlfriend said to me (I was 20 too), “If I have to explain it to you, you already missed the point.” Needless to say, that relationship didn’t last.

AND, I can track stand worth s…..

Old 05-30-23, 09:14 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
I can track stand for 10-15 seconds. It's definitely easier with a fixed gear.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 05-30-23, 09:30 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
For some reason I never found them easier on FG. Maybe because I learned them on freewheel, 15 years before I even tried riding FG.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-31-23, 05:23 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
It is one of those skill I never really tried to perfect but find myself doing at times when it is convenient or useful, like at an intersection when I expect to be able to go in a few seconds or a bit more and don't want to clip out. I also find myself doing it on technical singletrack on the mountain bike when evaluating a line. I am sure I have done it for more than 10 seconds lots of times. Not sure if I can do it on demand, but I seem to do it spontaneaously fairly often when circumstance make sense for it.

For me riding no hands on some bikes is a little like that. I recall riding one of my bikes that I would have said I really couldn't ride no hands and realizing that I was confidently sitting up flipping off a driver with both hands and yelling an obscenity.
Old 05-31-23, 11:07 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by SpeedyBlueBiker
Why would I want to?
Track stands, riding no handed, bunny hops, wheelies, stoppies, etc.: they're all useful in certain situations, they're fun to practice, and doing so improves your balance and bike handling.
Likes For caloso:
Old 05-31-23, 11:38 PM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I suppose "not really" is my answer. I haven't even tried to do a proper track stand, i.e. without using the brakes. I can stay stationary for a few seconds while seated though. However, if applying the brakes still counts then at least 20+ years ago I could stand for several minutes (a bit over 9 min was my record). Haven't bothered to try it for a long time now, but I'm sure I could manage up to a minute after a few tries.
Old 06-01-23, 05:44 AM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 263 Posts
I can for around 15 seconds then it foot down lol.
Old 06-01-23, 06:32 AM
chiefkurtz 
Tange

Bikes: 74 Raleigh Super Course Mk II, 77 Nishiki International, 77 Motobecane Super Mirage, 84 Team Fuji, 85 Schwinn Traveler, 86 Schwinn Prelude, 86 Raleigh Technium 460, 87 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite, 88 Cannondale "Crest", 96 Giant ATX 830, 05 Trek 1000

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 37 Posts
I was a bike messenger for over 5 years in the 80s. I developed a very good track stance, I'm in my late 50s and can still do one for upwards of a minute.
Old 06-01-23, 09:25 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 2,782 Times in 531 Posts
Over the years I've mastered it due to riding around London with its gazilion traffic lights. Treating the ground as lava gives me something to do while stuck at a reds, and I don't think anyone ever said having good balance and bike control was a bad thing.

And I figure I'll go through less cleats by not wearing them out on tarmac by having feet down at every light, and of course I look like a cycling legend....or a massive poser depending on peoples views
Old 06-02-23, 10:00 AM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
I voted "yes" using your 10-15 second definition, but people who are really good can do it much, much longer. Every once in a while, the stars align and I can do it for the full length of a red light, but I don't really both much any more unless I see the light is close to turning green or I'm just messing around on my town bike. It uses too much mental and physical energy to do it in the middle of a real ride.
Old 06-07-23, 02:20 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Eehhhhhh....