Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

1984 Fuji Touring Series V - Fair asking price?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-23, 07:18 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 81 Posts

This has been for sale in the local classsifieds for a few months or more now. I will probably go look at it this weekend. The seller was originally asking $525 but now asking $450 obo. When I first saw the ad a few months ago I dismissed the price as very out of line, but now that I"ve done a little research on these vintage Fuji touring bikes it might be right in the ballpark, and I believe the Series V was their top of the line model. This particular one looks like it may have the original pump and bottle cages, front and rear reflectors and dork disc with the saddle being the one thing I spotted that's non original when compared to the 1984 catalog. I do wonder about the seat tube sizing as described in the ad -- I wonder if it is center to center or not as it looks larger than 21", but I"m no expert on sizing. Here is the ad for the bike in the local classifieds, verbatim, along with pictures:

84 Fuji Touring Series V (almost mint condition)

For sale is my close to mint condition Fuji Touring Series V bicycle. I bought this from the original owner who had it hanging in the garage for who knows how long. I tuned it and freshened it up with grips, brake hoods, a seat, tubes, and brake cables to match original parts but otherwise the bike is all original and shows minimal use. I don't know the age of the tires but they are in good condition with no dry rot. I was really hoping to make this my own personal bike but after riding it awhile, I realized the frame is just a little too big for me to use comfortably. I am 56. The seat tube measures 21inches from bottom bracket to top tube. There are a couple cosmetic flaws on the bike which are mostly small scuffs on the top tube but I will be glad to send pictures of all of the flawed areas if requested. This would make a great bike for anyone who likes quality and/or vintage bicycles. Rides great! Asking $450 obo.

Last edited by Maxey; 06-01-23 at 09:26 AM.
Old 06-01-23, 08:33 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
No way that's a 21" frame with that long a head tube. I'm guessing 23".

The entire used bike market is down, as people sell their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices. So a lot more sellers than buyers these days.

$450 is not unreasonable considering near-original condition and relative lack of wear. I suppose you could try to negotiate for less, but then you might miss this one if someone else scoops it up. The good news is, more bikes will be available soon as the firesale continues. Your choice of whether to purchase now or wait.
Likes For bargainguy:
Old 06-01-23, 08:57 AM
Maxey

Bikes: 2022 Ibis Ripmo AF, 2022 Cannondale Synapse, 2022 Ritchey Outback, 197(?) Manufrance Touring

Originally Posted by bargainguy
No way that's a 21" frame with that long a head tube. I'm guessing 23".

The entire used bike market is down, as people sell their pandemic bike purchases at firesale prices. So a lot more sellers than buyers these days.

$450 is not unreasonable considering near-original condition and relative lack of wear. I suppose you could try to negotiate for less, but then you might miss this one if someone else scoops it up. The good news is, more bikes will be available soon as the firesale continues. Your choice of whether to purchase now or wait.
I appreciate the input, bargainguy. I agree, looks more like a 23", which is good as that's my size. I do plan on negotiating with the seller as price is obo, was thinking I'd start at $390 and inevitably bargain upward from there. I live in a tiny market for quality bikes, and this has been languishing in the classifieds for months now so not too worried someone else will beat me to it. The flip side of that is that there aren't many bikes like this that show up locally.
Old 06-01-23, 09:20 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Sizing was in cm and it jumps from 55 to 58 and that doesn't look like any 55cm I've ever seen, so I agree it is probably 58cm, or 22.83 inches.
Looks like a wonderful tourer in very nice condition. Yes, by all means, see if there is wiggle room but I don't think the asking price is outrageous. Here's the catalog page in case it helps.

Old 06-01-23, 09:31 AM
Maxey

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Sizing was in cm and it jumps from 55 to 58 and that doesn't look like any 55cm I've ever seen, so I agree it is probably 58cm, or 22.83 inches.
Looks like a wonderful tourer in very nice condition. Yes, by all means, see if there is wiggle room but I don't think the asking price is outrageous. Here's the catalog page in case it helps.
Tuga, I had already looked at that catalog page (I read through the entire All Things Fuji post last night), and forgot about the metric sizing. I comfortably ride a 57cm modern bike, so a 58 shouldn't be a problem at just a smidge short of 5'11". Thanks for the input, sounds like the price isn't out of line, not to mention may be the only nice Series V for sale in a several state area.
Old 06-01-23, 07:59 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Looks like a smallish 58cm so I’d guess they used a c-t-t measurement. Probably perfect for OP’s 57cm preference.

Agree that $450 not totally unreasonable but I’d personally try to get closer to $350. I view these touring models with 27” schrader-drilled rims (i.e. my Panasonic Pro Touring) a notch below their 700c presta-drilled contemporaries (i.e. my former Specialized Expedition). The $450 price tag doesn’t quite get that upper tier but it starts to come close.
Likes For plonz:
Old 06-01-23, 09:27 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
At a cost greater than $300 I would keep looking, unless this specific model is your heart"s desire and the size is perfect.
Likes For cyclophilia:
Old 06-02-23, 11:49 AM
Maxey

Again, all opinions and input welcome.

To update; the seller said in his ad he was willing to send some close-up photos of any cosmetic flaws, and he just sent them to me. He stated in the text that he attached the photos to that were two very small dings under the 'F' and 'A' of the Fuji America lettering on the top tube, but I find it hard to see them in these photos, excepting maybe a bit of waviness in the paint that may be the dings. I don't believe a couple of small dings will compromise the integrity of a steel frame (please correct me if I'm wrong), but it's kind of disappointing nevertheless, though I do appreciate the seller being upfront about it. After looking at the photos I told him I'd go $300. He countered with $350 and I told him I'd think about it. To be honest I'm on the fence now about even $300, but do kind of feel like I'm in the driver's seat as I kind of have a take it or leave it attitude about the bike now. Anyways, here are the pictures he said show the dings, though again I find them hard to see:

Here's a shot of the rear brake cable bridge, some obvious wear but not really alarming.

And the rest of the cosmetic flaws, per the seller:

Old 06-02-23, 12:04 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yeah that is a 23 inch. Split the difference and offer $325. Fuji made fine bicycles and this is one of their better models. Yeah you might find a quality bike like this at a lower price but then again you might not. You're going to like how this bike rides once you fix it up.

The wheels don't look to be original which is odd given that the bike looks pristine otherwise.
Old 06-02-23, 12:41 PM
Maxey

Originally Posted by bikemig
Yeah that is a 23 inch. Split the difference and offer $325. Fuji made fine bicycles and this is one of their better models. Yeah you might find a quality bike like this at a lower price but then again you might not. You're going to like how this bike rides once you fix it up.

The wheels don't look to be original which is odd given that the bike looks pristine otherwise.
Thanks for that, bikemig; that was the figure I had in mind for a counter-offer. I had a Japanese touring bike w/barcons back in the day (Sekai 2500) and this would be a trip down memory lane as much as anything, though as you say I fully expect it to be a nice rider.

Are you sure the wheels aren't original? If you look closely at the two seller's picture is my 1st post above and look at the catalog photo a few posts down, they both appear to have the dark anodizing on the upper rim surface along with the silver sides (described in the catalog as black, side buffed). I can always check to make sure they're the correct Ukai 27-1/8 rims when I see the bike in person.

Oh, and any comments about the small dings in the top tube described in my latest photos? Thanks again.
Old 06-02-23, 04:29 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
If what I'm seeing under the Fuji label is a ding I think he's over asking on the price, at the $450 price it had to be in excellent condition because a mint one goes for around $500, now it's only in fair, or below average condition. Personally, not over $200!

Below is a site that has several of them for sale, including the one you're looking at, there's another for the same price, and another for $200, if you contact the seller of the $200 and ask what condition the paint is in and are there any dents I bet the answer will be no dents. Dents to me is a no buy bike. Sorry. Maybe someone else here will tell you I'm crazy for not wanting a bike with small ding. I can accept some light scratches, but dings no way.

https://www.shoppok.com/fuji-touring-series-v-sp

Last edited by rekmeyata; 06-02-23 at 04:33 PM.
Old 06-02-23, 06:14 PM
bikemig 

The wheels could be original. I certainly can't tell for sure from the pics but the catalog shows alloy sidewalls and black rim surface (I have a set of wheels with Ukai rims just like that). The pics seem to show that even the sidewalls are anodized or colored in some fashion.

I don't see anything I am concerned with about the bike. You will have to inspect it and decide. I think a top end touring bike like this is worth $300. Paying a bit more than the bike may be "worth" is not a big deal if you like the bike and you will use it.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-02-23, 07:00 PM
Maxey

I'm kind of with rekmeyata as far as the dings. They're probably not a big deal at all structurally, but I have a feeling they will bother me, whether that's silly or not.

Bikemig I'm pretty sure I can get the bike for $300 even. But then again I may be able to find something I like even more for around the same money. I'm usually pretty decisive, but this one has me hemming and hawing. Either way I'm going to have to let the seller know one way or the other pretty soon. UPDATE: I just told the seller I would come look at the bike next weekend as I am unable to this weekend (something unexpected has come up).

Thanks everyone for their input -- I haven't mentioned it yet, but I love the bikeforums.net website. So different from most of the car, motorcycle or other bicyles forums I've joined -- very civilized and informative by comparison.

Last edited by Maxey; 06-02-23 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-02-23, 07:15 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 204 Posts
Being bothered by dings is not silly; what is ridiculous is that seller listed the bike as in mint condition all over the internet, it's not close to mint, if he's willing to fudge with mint vs fair condition what else did he fudge about? If you get serious on buying this bike, take a flashlight with you and some tools, remove the seat post and look down inside the seat tube and check for rust in the tube as well as down where the bottom bracket is especially, and check were the tubes butt into the bb shell for rust, if the seat post won't come out...RUN! That means the seat post has corroded stuck to the inside of the seat tube which means the interior condition of the frame may be poor. This guy has made me suspicious, you better look it over real well.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 06-02-23, 08:18 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
I’m not a Fuji fan granted (I always thought they were overpriced per value), but at $200-250 that’s a decent bike. Judging by the nice cable set, it might have been decently refreshed.

Also, North Dakota has probably pretty sparse pickings. One state over, @Clang will find bargains that would make your eyebrows reach for the sky!
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 06-03-23, 07:18 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Those “dings” look more like gouges in the paint than they do dents. The photos don’t scare me but definitely worth a closer inspection. I’m no Ukai expert but the rims look like the brochure.

After seeing the photos, the seller is a bit more liberal with his near mint assessment than I would be. Nothing that’s a deal killer for me, although I’d likely drop my earlier $350 price to $300 +/- $25. If I was in ND and this bike is fits a desire, I’d grab it.
Likes For plonz:
Old 06-03-23, 08:03 AM
TugaDude

Based on the close-ups, I’d pass, but YMMV. I retract my original statement because of the details.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 06-03-23, 08:42 AM
Maxey

Originally Posted by rekmeyata
Being bothered by dings is not silly; what is ridiculous is that seller listed the bike as in mint condition all over the internet, it's not close to mint, if he's willing to fudge with mint vs fair condition what else did he fudge about? If you get serious on buying this bike, take a flashlight with you and some tools, remove the seat post and look down inside the seat tube and check for rust in the tube as well as down where the bottom bracket is especially, and check were the tubes butt into the bb shell for rust, if the seat post won't come out...RUN! That means the seat post has corroded stuck to the inside of the seat tube which means the interior condition of the frame may be poor. This guy has made me suspicious, you better look it over real well.
Great idea, thanks! I can't look at the bike until next weekend in any case as something unexpected has come up and I'll be out of town over the weekend.
Old 06-03-23, 10:45 AM
TugaDude

Photos can be deceiving and owner descriptions are essentially worthless. By the way, I have traveled to Dickinson, ND on business and it is a small but lovely town. Getting there was quite an adventure. I flew to Salt Lake and got on a small puddle jumper and let me tell you it was an experience! The "airport terminal" as I remember it was like a doublewide trailer and the man behind the rental car "counter" called me by name as I walked towards him. I was literally his customer for that day. He pointed to three sets of car keys and told me to take my pick. I loved it! Turns out he was a school teacher and worked the rental car thing part time. Had a wonderful steak dinner at the American Legion hall, or maybe it was VFW, regardless, the people were kind and friendly. It was a short, but fun visit.
Old 06-03-23, 12:13 PM
Maxey

Originally Posted by TugaDude
Photos can be deceiving and owner descriptions are essentially worthless. By the way, I have traveled to Dickinson, ND on business and it is a small but lovely town. Getting there was quite an adventure. I flew to Salt Lake and got on a small puddle jumper and let me tell you it was an experience! The "airport terminal" as I remember it was like a doublewide trailer and the man behind the rental car "counter" called me by name as I walked towards him. I was literally his customer for that day. He pointed to three sets of car keys and told me to take my pick. I loved it! Turns out he was a school teacher and worked the rental car thing part time. Had a wonderful steak dinner at the American Legion hall, or maybe it was VFW, regardless, the people were kind and friendly. It was a short, but fun visit.
Ha! Nice to hear a story about Dickinson. The airport has probably been upgraded a good deal since you've been here. It's now the size of a large McMansion and even has a small but modern waiting area. You still have to walk across the concrete to get to your plane, but believe it or not they now have jet service, though the jets are more like overgrown Learjets than an actual airliner. You can now get to Denver twice as fast as before! Great place in the 4 or 5 months of decent weather we get, but brutal as he*l in the winter. There are really only two seasons here -- warm and cold. When I was a bit younger and even dumber than I am now I used to fatbike quite a bit in the winter and would ride in weather as cold as -40f. My limit now is at -10f. You have to dress like an arctic snowboarder, but it works somehow.
Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-03-23, 01:24 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Maxey
Ha! Nice to hear a story about Dickinson. The airport has probably been upgraded a good deal since you've been here. It's now the size of a large McMansion and even has a small but modern waiting area. You still have to walk across the concrete to get to your plane, but believe it or not they now have jet service, though the jets are more like overgrown Learjets than an actual airliner. You can now get to Denver twice as fast as before! Great place in the 4 or 5 months of decent weather we get, but brutal as he*l in the winter. There are really only two seasons here -- warm and cold. When I was a bit younger and even dumber than I am now I used to fatbike quite a bit in the winter and would ride in weather as cold as -40f. My limit now is at -10f. You have to dress like an arctic snowboarder, but it works somehow.
You could always build a C&V winter bike to ride. This is mine:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...l#post16286104
Likes For bikemig:
Old 06-04-23, 01:09 PM
Maxey

You could always build a C&V winter bike to ride. This is mine:

https://www.bikeforums.net/commuting...l#post16286104
Cool build, bikemig. I don't know if it would cut for the winter rides I do, mostly offroad with some fairly deep drifts where you need the flotation of a really fat tire. These are 27.5x4.5, I run them as low as 3 or 4 psi. If the drifts are crusty enough you can ride right over the top of them without breaking through. If you break through, you better be in a low gear!

Likes For Maxey:
Old 06-04-23, 01:34 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by Maxey
Cool build, bikemig. I don't know if it would cut for the winter rides I do, mostly offroad with some fairly deep drifts where you need the flotation of a really fat tire. These are 27.5x4.5, I run them as low as 3 or 4 psi. If the drifts are crusty enough you can ride right over the top of them without breaking through. If you break through, you better be in a low gear!

Cool bike. I don't want another bike but I'd make room for a fat bike. 26 x 2.1 studded tires work fine for commuting which is what I built the bike for on the cheap but yeah I wouldn't want to take it in the stuff you're talking about.
Old 06-04-23, 04:03 PM
Maxey

Cool bike. I don't want another bike but I'd make room for a fat bike. 26 x 2.1 studded tires work fine for commuting which is what I built the bike for on the cheap but yeah I wouldn't want to take it in the stuff you're talking about.
And on the other hand there are times I wish I had something more like your build for when the roads are hardpacked and icy and I just want to go for a ride. Dang it, I just realized I don't have enough bikes yet...
Old 06-04-23, 10:14 PM
cyclophilia 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 63 Posts
adding to rekmeyata's advice on inspecting the seat tube for rust and the seatpost for movement:

also loosen the stem to be sure that it moves freely.

Stuck stem, like a stuck seatpost, would be a deal-breaker,
Likes For cyclophilia:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.