Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poll: What new dream/grail Huffy for the next indignity in the cycling world?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: What dream/grail Huffy for the next visionary, time-wasting project?
Sante Fe
21.21%
Aerowind
78.79%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: What new dream/grail Huffy for the next indignity in the cycling world?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-23, 12:29 PM
Hondo6

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 464 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
What kind of weird front brake is on that Aerowind?
Shimano BR-AD20, from the Adamas AX groupset - I think. Here's the Velobase link to them:

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.a...d1ecc&Enum=117

Break Brake reach was apparently adjusted by moving the entire caliper up or down using a slot in a mounting bracket that was part of the caliper. The brake's mounting bolt fit thru the slot. See rear picture of caliper at link above.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-08-23 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Correctly spelled but wrong word typo
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 12:30 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I know the C&V set thought you old Campy on old Huffy was interesting and sacrilege so let’s up the game a bit.

Find yourself a Serotta built Huffy and put actual huffy parts minus the Ashtabula crane on it.

Cool bike with uncool parts vs your existing uncool bike with uncool parts
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 06-08-23, 12:30 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1225 Post(s)
Liked 3,543 Times in 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by Hondo6
The Aerowind may have an ovalized seat tube. I've never examined one, so dunno for sure.

If so, replacing the FD with something lighter/more modern may not be easy.

Also, at least some Aerowinds were originally equipped with Shimano's Adamas AX components. Velobase appears to indicate that at least some (maybe all) Adamas AX cranksets used a FFS and/or Selectra-type bottom bracket. I believe those require a special tool to remove.

Just pointing out possible complicating factors associated with using the Aerowind frame as a basis. The Santa Fe could prove far less painful if used as the base frame.

IMO seeing either decked out in modern CF components and coming in well under 25lbs would be a hoot.
Yes, that was a thought as well (challenges with the A-W) but but I am better acclimated to ridiculous, unbelievably dumb incompatibilities now, so we’d figure it out. We are also going to go way more extreme on this build. Way more. If the crunched tubing gets in the way of a FD, I’ll burn a braze-on FD mount. I will also do the same with DT shift mounts if necessary. Fixing the BB shell on the Huffente gave me way too much overconfidence and we will bring putting that to good use, at least as long as it lasts.I also need more brazing practice before I’m forced to tackle my dumb Paramount, so there’s that.

Oh, and 25lb? Think less, think way less

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 06-08-23, 12:33 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
Dear BF,

Now that the Huffente Le Grandepagnolo project/goal has wrapped up or is at least winding down, it's time to start thinking of a new desecration vision for the next dream Huffy build.

If you don't know what I'm referencing, a link to the thread should help with some context...

We started at 36.4lbs and ended at 23.4lbs in what many would consider a complete waste of good Campy Super Record.

There were many trials and tribulations, and many lessons learned, so now we are ready to take that experience and put it towards the next project!

The Le Grande build was a lot of fun (actually it was almost pure frustration), so I'm excited about a new Huffy, and a new vision. The previous vision was simple: el cheapo garbage Huffy + Campy Super Record. Can it be done? Yes! Should it be done? Err...

This time, were taking some of those barriers and limitations off, and aiming for the moon (or at least a nearby asteroid).

I need you help to deterimine the base for such a ridiculous, nonsensical project.

I have a simple question for you:

Santa Fe or Aerowind ?

Which one evokes a stronger emotion, or more memores, for you? The Le Grande was fun, but it was a little obscure. We want to go with something a little more warm and familiar to begin our next heresy. Something comforting, you know?

So, which would you choose, and why? You answer doesn't have to make sense. Actually, the less sense it makes, the better. I have no particular favorite, so I'm asking our esteemed BF members if they have a preference for which they would like to see me waste yet more of my life on.

Photos of each potential project bike to come in the next post...
Okay, when I saw the thread title, I was ready to relegate this to the usual garbage threads that are getting so frequent in General Cycling, then putting you on ignore. I did look at the thread though so as to not judge a book by its cover. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. Glad I did. Good thread and project. Great job on the Le Grande! I voted for the Aerowind, though the Santa Fe was probably more common, so that may fit your idea better. I'll be anxiously awaiting the project.
Old 06-08-23, 12:41 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
I know the C&V set thought you old Campy on old Huffy was interesting and sacrilege so let’s up the game a bit.

Find yourself a Serotta built Huffy and put actual huffy parts minus the Ashtabula crane on it.

Cool bike with uncool parts vs your existing uncool bike with uncool parts
Haha I love this, well it’s not a bad idea but Serotta built Huffy’s are a little obscure (and a little boring to me), so if we really wanted to be offensive, I’d rather do something like this to a Paramount (which I have), but people would really lose their minds if I found an old Singer or Herse and decked it out in garbage.

Regarding the uncool Campy parts, before this build I have very little exposure to them. I really like the FD…it looks good, feels good, and comes apart for cleaning really easily. The steel clamping stuff, the boat anchor QRs, BB spindle, headset I could live without. Still it all goes together and I've come to accept it for what it is. The new build won’t have the restrictions that the old one did.

Apart from those, a fine old Italian steed could also work.

But, another project for another day. I’ve got a laser focus on this one, and we are getting close to having it settled.

Old 06-08-23, 12:44 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by phughes
Okay, when I saw the thread title, I was ready to relegate this to the usual garbage threads that are getting so frequent in General Cycling, then putting you on ignore. I did look at the thread though so as to not judge a book by its cover. I always try to give the benefit of the doubt. Glad I did. Good thread and project. Great job on the Le Grande! I voted for the Aerowind, though the Santa Fe was probably more common, so that may fit your idea better. I'll be anxiously awaiting the project.
Please still keep the ‘ignore’ button at the ready, you still may need it for what’s to come

Amazingly, the Le Grande actually rides great, and did fabulous on the muddy 30+ mile gauntlet I ran it through last weekend. It impressed me enough to do another whole garbage build, which is really saying something, for how unbelievably frustrating the build was at times.
Old 06-08-23, 12:45 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
Good visions. I will probably end up with both one day anyway, but I have a very specific build vision for the next project, and quite possibly more disconcerting than the first
Be afraid, be very afraid

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 06-08-23, 12:45 PM
Hondo6

Oh, and 25lb? Think less, think way less
Hey! I said ". . . coming in well under 25lbs" above!
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 12:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3510 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,774 Posts
Shimano BR-AD20, from the Adamas AX groupset - I think. Here's the Velobase link to them:

Break reach was apparently adjusted by moving the entire caliper up or down using a slot in a mounting bracket that was part of the caliper.
There's some ingenuity!
Old 06-08-23, 12:49 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Please still keep the ‘ignore’ button at the ready, you still may need it for what’s to come

Amazingly, the Le Grande actually rides great, and did fabulous on the muddy 30+ mile gauntlet I ran it through last weekend. It impressed me enough to do another whole garbage build, which is really saying something, for how unbelievably frustrating the build was at times.
It really looks like a nice bike. I don't doubt it rides well.
Old 06-08-23, 12:49 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by SoCaled
Yeah, they are available for a fraction of the price elsewhere, I just love how serious the ad is, with 16 pictures and full specs included
$185 if you can get to Akron, complete with owner's manual!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15558797965...MAAOSwCSJkc~nN
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 12:54 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by smd4
…being a confirmed Free Spirit man,.

Lol, I just now caught this!

You, sir, are an artist.

Old 06-08-23, 12:55 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Haha I love this, well it’s not a bad idea but Serotta built Huffy’s are a little obscure (and a little boring to me), so if we really wanted to be offensive, I’d rather do something like this to a Paramount (which I have), but people would really lose their minds if I found an old Singer or Herse and decked it out in garbage.

Regarding the uncool Campy parts, before this build I have very little exposure to them. I really like the FD…it looks good, feels good, and comes apart for cleaning really easily. The steel clamping stuff, the boat anchor QRs, BB spindle, headset I could live without. Still it all goes together and I've come to accept it for what it is. The new build won’t have the restrictions that the old one did.

Apart from those, a fine old Italian steed could also work.

But, another project for another day. I’ve got a laser focus on this one, and we are getting close to having it settled.

I think if you want to do a proper 7/11 Team tribute bike, the better approach might be to come up with a beautiful frame with excellent components and just slap it with a Huffy decal.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 12:56 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
None. Once is funny and awesome, a second example will be gratuitous and not live up to the standard set by the original.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531:
Old 06-08-23, 01:00 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by livedarklions
$185 if you can get to Akron, complete with owner's manual!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/15558797965...MAAOSwCSJkc~nN
I did a search yesterday on ‘SearchTempest’ and it turned up about 3 of them, including an unusual burgundy one (looked like original paint).

I don’t know if Huffy ever made a 24” version, but they definitely made both a 26” (wheeled) version as well as a full-sized 27”. You can tell by the dropouts. The 26”er has the typical crunched stays at
the dropouts, whereas the larger full size edition has the dropouts with the individual braze points on them.

Honestly I don’t know which Id prefer. The 26” version may be lighter. But I might run into BB height issues if I take that frame and stick 700c wheels on it. I DO have a 26” Huffy frame in the garage that I can experiment with and compare measurements and sizing.
Old 06-08-23, 01:02 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
None. Once is funny and awesome, a second example will be gratuitous and not live up to the standard set by the original.
Even one was one too many.

But cheap thrills.

Old 06-08-23, 01:17 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,738 Times in 1,836 Posts
I did a search yesterday on ‘SearchTempest’ and it turned up about 3 of them, including an unusual burgundy one (looked like original paint).

I don’t know if Huffy ever made a 24” version, but they definitely made both a 26” (wheeled) version as well as a full-sized 27”. You can tell by the dropouts. The 26”er has the typical crunched stays at
the dropouts, whereas the larger full size edition has the dropouts with the individual braze points on them.

Honestly I don’t know which Id prefer. The 26” version may be lighter. But I might run into BB height issues if I take that frame and stick 700c wheels on it. I DO have a 26” Huffy frame in the garage that I can experiment with and compare measurements and sizing.
What about the mixte?
https://chicago.craigslist.org/nch/b...628628561.html

Likes For SoCaled:
Old 06-08-23, 02:23 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
No way, at least a dozen.
Think of the peloton!
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-08-23, 03:13 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by SoCaled
A mixte build would be awesome as hell; personally, I'd love to see it.

But unfortunately mixte frames tend to be heavier than standard frames of the same size. I think that would go "against the grain" with respect to what I understand that AMCO's planning to do here (e.g., a serious "weight weenie" build based on a Huffy frame).
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-08-23, 06:27 PM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,825 Times in 878 Posts
What about the Huffy Scout? Those were thick in Ohio.
Old 06-09-23, 11:27 AM
Robvolz 

Bikes: several Eddy Merz (ride like Eddy, braze like Jim!)

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 662 Posts
I need to see how the Aerowind shift levers attach to the side of the frame. Are the brazed-on posts on the headset? How "aero" is that?
Old 06-09-23, 11:33 AM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
Which one evokes a stronger emotion, or more memores, for you?
Definitely the Aerowind. I grew up with a pair of these, so they bring happy memories to mind.

So, which would you choose, and why? You answer doesn't have to make sense. Actually, the less sense it makes, the better.
Still the Aerowind. The flattened seat tube and...ahem...*unique*...brakes are much more noticeable than what the Santa Fe has to offer.
Likes For campfire:
Old 06-09-23, 11:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by campfire
Still the Aerowind. The flattened seat tube and...ahem...*unique*...brakes are much more noticeable than what the Santa Fe has to offer.
But given the project, the brakes would have to be the first thing to go. In all their glorious horror:

Likes For livedarklions:
Old 06-09-23, 01:35 PM
Hondo6

Originally Posted by Robvolz
I need to see how the Aerowind shift levers attach to the side of the frame. Are the brazed-on posts on the headset? How "aero" is that?
Shimano made a top-tube mount version of the Adamas AX shifters - the SL-AD24. The side-view of the Aerowind in the OP's 2nd post above seems to show a clamp of some sort nestled up against the headtube; I'd guess that's the clamp for that particular shifter variant.

Unfortunately, the photo of the SL-AD24 in the Velobase link is quite poor - too poor to tell if that's it or not. And I guess it's possible Huffy put mounting bosses on the headtube and used the downtube boss-mount versions there instead.

Edited to add: found a better picture of the SL-AD24 at Mike Sweatman's Disraeli Gears site:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...-_page_33.html

Not sure the clamp shown there matches up with the one on the Aerowind side view photo above, but can't tell for sure.

Last edited by Hondo6; 06-09-23 at 01:41 PM.
Likes For Hondo6:
Old 06-09-23, 03:27 PM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 3,738 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Robvolz
Shimano made a top-tube mount version of the Adamas AX shifters - the SL-AD24. The side-view of the Aerowind in the OP's 2nd post above seems to show a clamp of some sort nestled up against the headtube; I'd guess that's the clamp for that particular shifter variant.

Unfortunately, the photo of the SL-AD24 in the Velobase link is quite poor - too poor to tell if that's it or not. And I guess it's possible Huffy put mounting bosses on the headtube and used the downtube boss-mount versions there instead.

Edited to add: found a better picture of the SL-AD24 at Mike Sweatman's Disraeli Gears site:

https://www.disraeligears.co.uk/site...-_page_33.html

Not sure the clamp shown there matches up with the one on the Aerowind side view photo above, but can't tell for sure.

Here is a link with 16 good reference pics of an Aerowind -
https://budgetbicyclectr.com/1982-hu...ycle-58cm.html

Last edited by SoCaled; 06-09-23 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Added link & made more clear
Likes For SoCaled:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.