Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How did you get used to Helmet Mirror?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How did you get used to Helmet Mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-23, 10:06 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by bikecommuter13
I like that idea a lot. I didn't know the radar tail light existed. It's pricey though. The suggested price is $200, and this site is selling it for $60. Can it be real?
https://suntparadise.com/products/ga...RoCRH0QAvD_BwE
No, not at all real.
The discount countdown clock started at 60min for me when I went to the site, which was 40min after you posted and there were only 57min left for the discount.
The about page is generic nonsense.
The contact email address is a shoe company.
Old 06-09-23, 10:14 AM
bikecommuter13

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
No, not at all real.
The discount countdown clock started at 60min for me when I went to the site, which was 40min after you posted and there were only 57min left for the discount.
The about page is generic nonsense.
The contact email address is a shoe company.
So many scams online.

So for your setup. It's like $200 for the tail light, and another $200 or $300 for the bike computer?
Old 06-09-23, 10:20 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
For me, the adjustment is/was crucial. The mirror is just off-center when looking straight ahead, and angled so that I don't have to tilt my head up or down to see who's behind me when I'm in the drops. Needing to look way up and to the left is distracting and hurts.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-09-23, 10:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
So many scams online.

So for your setup. It's like $200 for the tail light, and another $200 or $300 for the bike computer?
Yes.
Not cheap, obviously not a requirement and admittedly a luxury.

I had the GPS unit already since I like to upload and track basic stats and use it for various routes thru the year.
A good long lasting and bright rechargeable rear light is $40ish at least so I figure $160 for the radar tech.
Old 06-09-23, 11:41 AM
campfire

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 77 Posts
We've used both "Take a Look" and helmet-mounted mirrors. I like to know what's behind me, and our recent rear-ending accident only makes that desire stronger. Seeing behind you won't change the course of physics, but in some situations it might give you a chance to react. Might.

One thing we learned in that wreck seems painfully obvious in hindsight. My wife had recently switched to having her mirror attached to the inside of her helmet. When she hit the ground, the mirror stem broke off and jabbed into her skull, adding another injury to an already unpleasant landing. So...definitely attach the mirror to the *outside* of the helmet. Your skull will thank you.
Old 06-09-23, 11:54 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I never got used to it.

First of all a "blackburn" helmet mounted one was so wiggly, that I couldn't see anything. I now have a "take a look."

It takes me a few seconds to shift my focus, and place my head at the correct angle, so I can actually see out the thing. That's too long. A glance down to my bar mounted mirror is easy and works. A problem is that most of my riding is in town, so I'm constantly turning my head, not riding in a mostly straight line.

If there's hope for getting used to it over time, I'll give it another try. Maybe I'll wear it around the house. There are analogous situations, for instance some people have a very hard time getting used to looking into a microscope, or VR goggles.

It would be great in the supermarket, or in my kitchen.
Old 06-09-23, 12:24 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
I use a tiger eye mirror clipped to my helmet on the left side. It took some time to adapt, but I preferred not having to break posture to do a quick sweep behind me when I wanted to make a left in a neighborhood or check traffic behind me to plan for passes by other road users. The only problem I had was with positioning the mirror. At first, I couldn't point it behind me and keep it in my peripheral vision, so I bent the arm until I could. Then I noticed that even after that I couldn't see it sometimes, but that was because my sunglasses frames blocked it or because I had my helmet cocked back on my head. In my opinion it's indispensable for riding on roads so I can plan for the faster traffic around me, and it doesn't vibrate like the handlebar mounted mirrors tended to.

When I ride singletrack I leave it on so I can glance at my group (usually my kids) and see how they're keeping up.
Old 06-09-23, 12:29 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I got used to a helmet mirror by not using one and instead using the power of technology to project objects behind me onto the screen of my GPS unit.
- Garmin Varia rear light and radar- it displays the number of vehicles behind me, shows how fast they are approaching relative to my speed, notifies me when one appears, and notifies me when all within 150 yards of me are no longer traveling faster than my speed.

Admittedly I dont really care about it too much on paved roads in the metro's city or suburbs. I expect there will be traffic and mostly ride either side roads, roads with 2 lanes so cars can easily pass me, or well traveled single lane roads that have a speed close to what I can ride on that road. In all those examples, I notice vehicles, but dont really care that they are there since I set myself up for safe riding and am easily passed if necessary.
The Varia really shines on gravel roads. I can ride wherever I want on the road and can freely pick the best line, wherever it may be, while not worrying if a car is inconvenienced behind me. This is especially true since I cant always hear vehicles approaching due to wind and surface noise. Once the radar notifies me, I check back and move to the right to allow the car to pass. They dont have to slow down and I am safe- everyone is happy. It is helpful on country roads/county highways too, though to a lesser extent than gravel. Vehicles go faster on the paved roads and since its paved, I am over to the right at all times, so there really isnt much for me to do when the head unit notifies me. It is still nice to know though, since it can sometimes be 5 or 10 minutes between vehicle passes. Its sort of a finger snap to wake up and be aware for a moment since its really easy to get into a focus tunnel when you are on quiet rural roads.

Anyways- let technology be your guide. Give in to the robots and stop trying to look behind you by using a bouncy small mirror.
I ride a lot of beat to crap country roads where the only decent paved part is down the center of the lane. With Varia, I can ride down the center without constantly monitoring what’s coming up behind me. When I get an alert, I move to the right and watch the icons to see when traffic has cleared and then do a quick head-check to verify and move back to the center. It makes all the difference between feeling beaten to death (or your standard gravel ride) and smooth sailing. Will never ride without it. However I do understand it, combined with the head-unit can get expensive, unless you combine with a phone-mount and the app.

Old 06-09-23, 02:33 PM
Mtracer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 303 Times in 193 Posts
I used the Take-A-Look mirror for years. Actually, I combined parts from their standard and compact versions to get what I wanted. I clipped it to my glasses. Loved how I had zero vibration in the mirror. I tried handlebar mirrors, but were all but useless for me due to vibration.

However, for the last several months, I've been using theTriEye glasses with integrated mirror and these are working out very well for me. My field of view is a bit less as compared to the TAL mirror. But that really is just a difference rather than a problem. Same with the fact that the mirror doesn't have my sunglasses between it and my eye. The image is brighter and clearer than using the TAL mirror. I thought having a brighter area in my field of view might be an issue, but I'm completely used to it now and it hasn't been an issue.

Admittedly, the primary reason I tried the TriEye glasses, was the high dork factor of the TAL mirror, but also, having the mirror built into the glasses, and not protruding from them, means I can put the glasses in their case, or anywhere else and not bend or move the mirror.

FYI, the TriEye are well made sport glasses with relative thick lens and frame materials.

Just like driving a car, it's helpful to know what is coming up behind you. Sure, not so much for someone who is going to simply run into you, but rather to know what is behind me if I need to change lanes or similar. Or if there is a hazard in the road and I want to move around it putting me closer or into the traffic lane. I can look in the mirror and see that there is or isn't something there to worry about. If there is, I can choose to slow down and let the car pass before moving over, I can simply choose to stop, or take some other action as needed. But it's nice to know that when no one is coming up behind me, I can simply move over and not change my pace.

I also will often move a bit further right just as a car comes to give myself a little extra room. I too gave a Garmin Varia and this just adds another bit of information concerning what is happening behind me.

I recently rode the Iron Horse Classic Quarter Horse event in Durango, CO. My first time riding around literally hundreds of people at the start and always several around at all times. It was nice to be able to glance in the mirror when I needed to move right. Half the time, I would see someone, and have to adjust accordingly. I can't imagine doing it without a mirror.
Old 06-09-23, 04:10 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22596 Post(s)
Liked 8,925 Times in 4,158 Posts
I tried one but kept getting a queasy “car-sick” feeling from it even though positioned in peripheral vision.

I suspect it may take time/patience.

That said, I use the Varia radar and a bar-end mirror and that combo works great for me.

Pretty much everyone who gets a Varia likes it.
Old 06-09-23, 04:41 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Big fan of largish helmet mirrors. specifically the Cat Eye one with the short stem and the screw clamp. But I don't clamp it to the helmet. I make a bracket that screws to the helmet with two small (#4) screws. Bracket is made of sheet aluminum bent to fit the helmet and with a lip at the bottom so the clamp cannot slide off. I then fiberglass both sides. Clean up, drill for screws, done. Lasts until I can no longer find a helmet it will fit to.

With this approach, I can make brackets that put the mirror exactly where I want it. I love it. I've been doing this about twenty years. (Thank you Cat Eye for keeping that same mirror in stock. I may even reuse an old bracket if and when my current helmet goes out of style.)

For me, the real reason for mirrors is to know what's coming so I can make the best choices on how to handle what's in front of me. With a helmet mirror, that look is fast and I barely have to take my eyes off what's ahead. Also I can "wander" all over the bike and not change my mirror access and view. (Push back all the way on the seat to power climb, "ride the rivet" very far forward, stand, ride no hands ...) And (I'm sure this has never happened to anybody else here) I have crashed enough that I cannot turn my head fully to see behind. I have to use enough shoulder that it affects my balance and riding a straight line is hard. Racing days - I was taught to master that seamless look back. Last season of racing after my "big one" I could no longer look back over my right shoulder. I raced that season planning my ride so I didn't need to know who was there. (If possible, I made moves from the right edge of the road where I could monitor everybody.)
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 06-09-23, 04:48 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
A note on mirrors and eyeglass use - I wear glasses all the time I am not sleeping, swimming or showering. When I go out for new glasses, I select frames that are high on the outboard corners so my helmet mirror is entirely within the glasses view. I also select regular focus or bifocal but never progressives because I want the full prescription at that corner, not a fuzzy sacrifice for goodies elsewhere.
Old 06-09-23, 06:02 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
I use the "EVT Safe Zone Bicycle Helmet Mirror". Yes, it looks dorky. I use it in combination with my Garmin Varia radar. The radar tells me if a vehicle is approaching. The mirror lets me know if it's moving over to safely pass, or if the driver isn't paying attention. That gives me time to plan an escape if needed. You can't rely on the technology of the radar alone.
I don't like the mirrors on the metal extension that clip to your eyeglasses. I had a crash wearing one and the metal stem broke off and impaled itself in the lining of my helmet. Had it been at a slightly different angle, it would have impaled itself into my temple. I've yet to find a bar end mirror that will hold position on a bumpy road, and they don't always provide good coverage when you change position on the bars (hoods to drops.)
Old 06-09-23, 07:52 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
You could always try these. They also have the X-Ray glasses too!

Mad Mag...
Old 06-09-23, 09:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I didn't. I see no need to know what is behind me. Too much in front of me I have to pay more attention to. Those behind me are responsible to make certain they safely avoid me as I have right of way and privilege over them.

Never had an issue with those behind me in over 60 years of riding a bicycle. I've had more issues with the people in front of me that have mirrors.
I won't ride without a mirror. I can see what's ahead for blocks. We have a thing here called the "Milwaukee slide".
​​​​​​https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/...de/1698585001/
Old 06-10-23, 05:13 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I guarantee you do not get used to doing something by doing it more.
Old 06-10-23, 06:33 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I saw some good reviews on Bike Peddler Take a Look cycling eyeglass mirror and I bought one.

I have used it a few times now. I don't like it so far. It's especially useless and cumbersome when I going down hill at high speed in street traffic -- I wish the mirror is not in front of my face.

Is it only good for slow and casual biking?
BC, I use the Take A Look, mounted on the temple of my sunglasses, mounted as far forward as possible. Works well for me. Good luck with it, if you keep it.

Originally Posted by cyccommute

The biggest advantage of the helmet mirror to me is that it has little to no vibration even in rough road situations. My head doesn’t bounce around a lot in those situations but my bike does. Handlebar mounted mirrors have aways be blurry to me and so far out of my sight line that I actually have to look away from the road to look at them.

Another issue with bar mounted mirrors is that they are actually limited in terms of field of view in ways that helmet mirrors are not. You are limited to the angle of the mirror on the bars. With a helmet mirror, you can rotate your head and get more than a 180° view behind you…depending on how far you want to sweep your head.
I tried a B&M bar-mounted mirror. I couldn't get a good field of view with it, and it vibrated badly.

Originally Posted by cyccommute
I use a helmet mirror more to tell me what traffic looks like behind be before moving lanes than as a notice of impending doom.
That's what it's good for. When I occasionally ride without the mirror, I miss it.
Old 06-10-23, 06:44 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
. When I occasionally ride without the mirror, I miss it.
Yup. It is no substitute for awareness, for listnening or looking, but when i don't hear or in any way sense a car coming up and I want to change lanes, move out to avoid debris, make a turn, whatever .... I always check my mirror, even if it isn't here.
Old 06-10-23, 07:08 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
After decades of using a glasses mount mirror, I'm bike totally sold on helmet mount. Getting it positioned well is important.

My problem with a glasses mount mirrors - and I used one for decades - is they don't work well on all glasses. Also I left it at home a time or two. Neither is an issue with helmet mount.

As far as getting used to it, one ride did it.
Old 06-10-23, 07:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
when road riding I use 2 mirrors. they compliment each other. one on my glasses & one on my left drop bar. it takes practice, practice, practice. think of it this way. without them you have nothing. with them you have something. every now & then you use them to take a glance. it doesn't prevent you from turning your head & other techniques. they re just additional tools

I have several pics & more comments on post #13 here
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...r-mirrors.html

one of my favorites, hehe

used a handheld sport cam at the left side of my head

this one was done holding the sport cam between my eyes & the mirror, showing exactly what I see when I glance at it

Last edited by rumrunn6; 06-10-23 at 07:21 AM.
Old 06-10-23, 07:42 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Late to the party. I position my Take-A-Look mirror high and to the left. I also angle it to be a diamond with the corners up, down, left and right. Works for me.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 06-10-23, 07:47 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2239 Post(s)
Liked 3,434 Times in 1,797 Posts
Can it be real?
No.

But you can find it $50 off occassionally. Garmin regulates when they go on sale.

It is worth $150 or $200. Get it. Helmet mirrors snap off and are hard to get used to even if they stay in place. Many modern helmets don't have convenient attachment points.
Old 06-10-23, 07:51 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
You could always try these. They also have the X-Ray glasses too!

Mad Mag...
Third Eye makes a version. Well, made a version. It’s not in their catalog although it still seems available.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 06-10-23, 10:36 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
......Works for me.

If it works for ya then that's what counts... BRAVO!
Old 06-10-23, 01:36 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I have used a CycleAware Reflex helmet mirror for the last 10 years or so. Feel naked on the road without it. Doesn't take long at all to get used to it, all about positioning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.