Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+) > Pills and Ills
Reload this Page >

Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Notices
Pills and Ills This is a discussion subforum for the health challenges faced by riders 50+. These discussions are in no way to be considered professional medical advice.

Do you suffer from tinnitus?

Old 01-23-12, 09:27 PM
TomD77

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An acquaintance of a few years back made his living organizing and taking groups of German tinnitus sufferers to some ex-eastern bloc country (can't remember which one for the life of me) for "treatments".

Military, a lot of shooting, lots of construction sites, I've got a bad case but never notice it unless something calls my attention, like this thread.

"The high-pitched ringing, squealing, hissing, clicking, roaring, buzzing or whistling in the ears that can drive tinnitus sufferers crazy may be a by-product of the brain turning up the volume to cope with subtle hearing loss". Subtle? Heh! Nothing subtle about my hearing loss.
Old 01-24-12, 06:27 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pinging in my ear tells me that another round of Meniere's Syndrome is about to start. Drinking a lot of water with 25% Gatorade helps sometimes.

Does The Noise in My Head Bother You? - Steven Tyler's book (Aerosmith)

There are hearing aids than can help some people. Think they use white noise. Ask around as some audiologists are good, others are lousy.
Old 01-24-12, 09:51 AM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some claim Van Gogh cut off his ear because tinnitus was driving him mad.
Old 01-24-12, 10:48 PM
San Francisco
Member On Probation

Bikes: Bianchi San Lorenzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CHAS
Some claim Van Gogh cut off his ear because tinnitus was driving him mad.
Ah yes, I try not to think about that. I am sure some of you have seen what I have in the movies.

Some guy goes all serial killer and when caught he says to the police "The ringing in my ears is so loud, can you hear it, it drove me insane, that's why I murdered all those people, help me please, the ringing is unbearable." While saying this the guy covers his ears with his hands and pleads to the police "Make it stop, please, make it stop. No, just shoot me, OK, end my misery!"

I go to church every Sunday and pray that the ringing in MY ears never gets as bad as it did for all those serial killers in the movies.
Old 01-24-12, 11:02 PM
San Francisco
Member On Probation

Bikes: Bianchi San Lorenzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh, by the way, if your tinnitus was caused by combat, you can apply to the VA for a disability. (I applied years later after I got out, at the recommendation of my primary care VA doc). I got a 10% rating.)

Where the rating is beneficial is: 1) I got FREE hearing aids (top of the line model, $5,000 units); 2) a zero co-pay group on medical care; and 3) lifetime placement in the zero co-pay rating.

So while combat injuries are a drag the disability rating helps. So if you served and suffered hearing injury check with the VA. YOU CAN APPLY FOR MEDICAL CARE AND SIMPLY GET PUT INTO THE SYSTEM. Later, if you lose your private insurance you can then "activate" your VA benefits.

(And the care is excellent, by the way. Here in San Francisco the VAMC is superb. The "hearing aids dept." is fantastic.)

Note: I am not sure, but if the ringing in your ears is from military service and the "hearing aids dept." says it is, no matter your financial situation, the VA may give you hearing aids. Worth checking out. (The hearings aids have cut out some of the ringing in my ears.)
Old 01-25-12, 09:17 AM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
From what others describe here, I'm guessing mine is pretty mild; no one's going to tell me, though, that it's not physiological.

Been going on for over 25 years, usually suppressed by low ambient noise (fan, TV, stiff breeze, etc.); loud music as a youth, loud artillery as an adult. Also been diagnosed with hi-freq loss -- funny how that can actually make you more sensitive to sudden loud noises in certain ranges. (Or, it does ME, at least....)
Old 01-25-12, 12:12 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
As I said, 35 years of helicopters gave me mine. Along with playing drums as a teenager. I've noticed it for some time, but even now it doesn't bother me, even though it is louder (I hear it in noisy environments now, not just quiet environs). I tend to ignore it.

A hearing test a year ago was an eye opener for me. "You're a candidate for a hearing aid", I was told! I have a lot of hearing loss in the mid frequencies (20 to 40dB), and of course, at high frequencies (above 7K I am essentially deaf). What is interesting is that the tinnitus "noise" I experience almost exactly corresponds to where my hearing loss is the worst. I really think the notion that my brain is "raising the input level" in the areas where my hearing suffers has some merit.
Old 01-25-23, 07:50 PM
Salmonchaser

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Oh jeez yes. Mine started in late 2018 during a bilateral viral ear infection. There was an early stage where if it didn't get better, I felt like it was time to make an exit. The volume has decreased a fair bit for me going from so loud it could be heard in the shower to about half that volume currently. During the last year or so, I've even started having a day or two per week where it gets so low that it isn't noticeable, but it always returns.
Ever since I developed it, I haven't had one solid good night of sleep (5 years now). Some nights as little as 4hrs, up to (very rarely) 7hrs. Average is about 6, which is hard because I used to be a solid 8hr every night sleeper. Always wake up between 2-4am with it blaring especially loudly - seems to be circadian rhythm related for me. I'm a research scientist and have read and tried everything - nothing works, just have to somehow adjust to it and learn to live with it.
It has made training and recovery a ***** due to lack of sleep - which is especially hard at this age.
Old 01-27-23, 08:54 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4266 Post(s)
Liked 2,938 Times in 1,812 Posts
Add me to the list.

I've had. it in my left ear for nearly 40 years, from standing to close to a pistol being fired (at a target, not a person) without ear protection. Fortunately, I'm only aware of it when things are otherwise quiet, and so it's ignorable most of the time.

They said that my hearing aids could diminish my perception of it, but that hasn't been my experience.

And ignore the snake-oil sales pitches, there is no cure.
Old 01-27-23, 09:58 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,602 Times in 930 Posts
I've had it for at least 30 yrs. Gotten so used to it I have to listen for it to remember it's there. There were periods 15-20 yrs ago it really bothered me.

My brother has it too. He's tried some Eustachian tube massage technique that was hit or miss. Think he's just getting used to it as well.

Hold on a min. Gotta answer the phone..
Old 01-27-23, 11:59 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
1. Anyone know what happened to the OP Pamestique ? She used to post a lot but nothing in 6 years now.

2. I have tolerable tinnitus - it's annoying, doesn't keep me awake or interfere with hearing, but it is constant. No guns or anything like that in my history - lots of loud machinery but I always wore hearing protection (grandpa lost most of his hearing from farm machinery and I saw as a kid how much it affected his quality of life). Hearing doctors said earbuds are fine if I keep the volume reasonable - I almost always have music or podcasts or a book stuck in my ears... it helps.

By the way... it's pronounced TIN-iddus... doctors appreciate when you know that.
My neurologists always ask me if I hear things that other people don't, and I tell them I have TINnittus and they chuckle.
Old 01-27-23, 06:48 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,489 Times in 543 Posts
If you google "new treatment for tinnitus" you'll find all kinds of interesting reading. Some treatments look very promising and others are just junk.

I've had it for many years but it doesn't bother me. It is aggravated by wind noise so finding a way to reduce that while on the bike might be helpful. I've also heard a lot of people have successfully reduced or eliminated it by cutting out coffee. Did not work for me. One thing I heard about a few years ago is discussed in the link below. The UK and some other countries cover this in their health plans but US medicare and most or all insurances don't. Hope you find some peace. I know it can be very bad for some people.

Tinnitus treatment
Old 01-27-23, 07:51 PM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
I've had it since the early 70's from things that go boom. It's the main reason I wear my earbuds when I go riding. Wind howling in my ears sets it off big time. And yes, it affects my life when I can't hear others due to background noise. I'm getting pretty good at reading body language and lips though haha. A simple nod usually satisfies most speakers.
Old 01-28-23, 05:11 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,094 Times in 1,311 Posts
I have it. Probably due to a couple thousand MRI test scans, or riding my bike too fast, or shooting too much.

Strangely, I am recovering from what appears to be long covid and my tinnitus is much worse and balance is weird.
Old 01-28-23, 10:57 AM
SpedFast
Just Pedaling

Bikes: YEP!

Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 491 Times in 325 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I have it. Probably due to a couple thousand MRI test scans, or riding my bike too fast, or shooting too much.

Strangely, I am recovering from what appears to be long covid and my tinnitus is much worse and balance is weird.
Hope things eventually improve for you.
Old 01-28-23, 11:28 AM
Chuck Naill

Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 184 Times in 120 Posts
Originally Posted by jdon
Yes, but I don't really notice it unless I think about it (or read about it).

I find the answer for me is mild background noise. Music or TV on in the background etc.
Same here. Thanks for the thread, now I am thinking about it....LOL!!

If I remember, I heard a doctor discuss very small doses of an anti-depressant for those of us who suffer more.
Old 01-28-23, 07:29 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
Zombie thread. Moved to Pills and Ills.
Old 01-30-23, 07:22 AM
boozergut

Bikes: Kona Dew, Gary Fisher Paragon, Salsa Campeon

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 77 Posts
Ill chime in as I've also been to an ENT for tinnitus. 30 years of shooting was likely the cause for me. I've scoured the internet, taken the supplements, read books on the subject, et al. The key for me was learning to identify my triggers which ramp it from a 3 out of 10 to much higher. My triggers are:
stress
salty snacks
dehydration
caffeine
loud noises.
Dont waste your money on any pills. Avoid your triggers. If you work behind a desk check out some of the youtube masking sounds that you can listen to with headphones while you work.

Pray for a simple cure.
Old 01-30-23, 07:56 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night

Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 822 Times in 430 Posts
I have it. I like it. During the day I rarely hear it. I hear it when I go to bed and I meditate on it. I note the subtle differences of it every night, and it makes me smile. To me it's like white noise, which I have always liked. I pass right out.
Old 01-31-23, 03:33 PM
Speedskater

Bikes: Bob Jackson, Trek & Sampson

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts
I read in the past, that there are about 200 causes or types of tinnitus.
So nothing applies to everyone with tinnitus.
There are 2 sound (noise) treatments. The basically train your brain to ignore the tinnitus. Sometimes the work and sometimes they don't.
Old 03-02-23, 04:34 PM
smurfy

Bikes: Classic lugged-steel road, touring, shopping, semi-recumbent, gravel

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 32 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I thought this subject was quite interesting (and I'm near my third week of recovering from knee-replacement surgery so I'm getting kind of bored).

I have a mild case of tinnitus and like a previous poster has stated is like standing in a field or forest on a summer night with all the bugs singing. I do occasionally experience ringing but it usually last a couple of seconds at most and then just goes away.

Not to get OT but the reason I bring this up is it seems that cycling clubs now seem to insist on inviting live bands to their invitational ride events. This is a big no-no for me since the bass and reverb of the loudspeakers can by pure torture for my hearing. The last invitational ride I participated in I went to get my after-ride meal and I had to scream over the noise of the admittedly-crappy band to tell them what kind of food I wanted. I ended up taking my food with me out to the car and left the venue. Not enjoyable at all.
Likes For smurfy: