Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

First Citi Bike fatality

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

First Citi Bike fatality

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-17, 03:49 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Don't let idiotic letters get to you. There are always people who'll use any excuse to grind their axes.
Excellent point!!!!!

In that amount of time how many have died in auto and pedestrian accidents. Maybe cars and pedestrians should be banned.
Old 10-15-17, 09:29 PM
Chris0516

Bikes: 2003 (24)20-Speed Specialized Allez'

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
May he rest in peace

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
buses are killers, gotta stay away from buses.
Never try riding next to a bus in the same lane. Only behind.
Old 10-15-17, 10:16 PM
vol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris0516
In this case, the cyclist didn't anticipate the bus. The bus came from behind. I'm not sure how he could have avoided the tragedy if the driver just wanted to pass him when the space didn't allow, if he didn't take the lane. But most cyclists don't take the lane in such streets.

Btw here is a related report:

Cyclist Fatalities Addressed: Route Adherence Stressed, Crosstown Bike Lanes Suggested

Last edited by vol; 10-15-17 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-16-17, 09:57 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
In this case, the cyclist didn't anticipate the bus. The bus came from behind. I'm not sure how he could have avoided the tragedy if the driver just wanted to pass him when the space didn't allow, if he didn't take the lane. But most cyclists don't take the lane in such streets.

Btw here is a related report:

Cyclist Fatalities Addressed: Route Adherence Stressed, Crosstown Bike Lanes Suggested
Looking at the picture on the front page of the article. He should have 'taken the lane'. Even though that was NYC.
Old 10-16-17, 11:08 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I don't share a lane with any bus.
May he rest in peace

Looking at the picture on the front page of the article. He should have 'taken the lane'. Even though that was NYC.
OK, since this is your answer to life, the universe and everything, I know it's easy to forget that this is the THIRD time you've said this.

But W 26th St is 34 feet curb to curb. There was a white commercial van parked at the right curb, and a black SUV parked at the left curb. Subtract out 15 feet for parking, that leaves you with 19 feet.

HOW WIDE IS YOUR BICYCLE?

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 10-16-17 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-16-17, 11:57 AM
Chris0516

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mr_bill
OK, since this is your answer to life, the universe and everything, I know it's easy to forget that this is the THIRD time you've said this.

But W 26th St is 34 feet curb to curb. There was a white commercial van parked at the right curb, and a black SUV parked at the left curb. Subtract out 15 feet for parking, that leaves you with 19 feet.

HOW WIDE IS YOUR BICYCLE?

-mr. bill
Yes, It is the third time I said it. He was too close to the parked/stopped vehicles.
Old 10-17-17, 07:13 AM
mr_bill

Yes, It is the third time I said it. He was too close to the parked/stopped vehicles.

FWIW, around here (and many other places) truck operators and bus operators hit bridges.

Nobody blames the bridges. (Is there a bridgeforums.net?)

-mr. bill
In astonishing news, trucks *finally* ticketed for driving on no truck streets.

-mr. bill
Old 10-17-17, 11:16 AM
vol

Since he moved to Bushwick three years ago, his bike was stolen, he got bed bugs, he was mugged on his own block and he lost most of his earthly possessions to water damage after firefighters had to spray a blaze started on the roof of his building when his neighbors set off fireworks there on the 4th of July.

Then he got run over by a truck.

He was riding north on Bushwick Avenue next to a yellow dump truck, when he noticed the truck gain momentum as it began to turn at Grand Street. He'd been riding straight but tried to veer out of the way to avoid it, but it was too late.
One of the scariest moment is when a big vehicle suddenly gains momentum near you, let alone if it's making a turn. When a driver suddenly speed up he's not prepared to stop immediately in case he suddenly spotted a danger, such as a pedestrian or cyclist that he didn't see before.
Old 10-30-17, 12:06 PM
mr_bill

Bus operator arrested, charged with misdemeanor and traffic violation

-mr. bill
Old 11-01-17, 06:58 AM
mr_bill

Bus Driver Says He Honked At Citi Biker Before Fatally Running Him Over

Originally Posted by Gothamist
Bystander Michael O'Connor spoke to Lewis right after the crash, according to the complaint. Lewis allegedly told O'Connor that he saw Hanegby riding in the center of the road, then honked his horn but "wasn't sure if the bicyclist heard him because the cyclist was wearing headphones."
-mr. bill
Old 11-01-17, 07:31 AM
vol

So why did he proceed to pass the cyclist?
Old 09-18-18, 09:02 PM
vol

In case anyone has trouble viewing the online NY Times report about the trial this week, here is the same article (I believe):

First Fatal Citi Bike Crash: Was the Bus Driver to Blame?

Lewis’ lawyer, Jeremy Saland, said ...... Hanegby was “seemingly oblivious to what’s going on around him” and noted that he was wearing “Beats — large over-the-ear headphones.”
Does that give the driver the right to squeeze past him giving him no place to go? Couldn't the same happen if he didn't wear the headphones?
Old 09-18-18, 11:28 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Citi bikes are trash , and you dont know who is making the money off these scams . they just show up one day in your city , and over night you have hundreds of peole using bikes that probably should not be allowed to walk down the sidewalk, but honestly they should ban all cars in the hearts of major cities and promote enclosed quad bikes and such , im so tired of cars ..
Old 09-19-18, 06:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by vol

Does that give the driver the right to squeeze past him giving him no place to go? Couldn't the same happen if he didn't wear the headphones?
No, which suggests that is the best the defense has. Paint a picture of an irresponsible cyclist. "No responsible, law-abiding cyclist would wear headphones covering his ears. He was just asking to get hit." (Riding a bike in NYC with headphones in both ears is illegal.) Sometimes you have to throw what you have against the wall and hope that something sticks.
Old 09-19-18, 08:16 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
In case anyone has trouble viewing the online NY Times report about the trial this week, here is the same article (I believe):
First Fatal Citi Bike Crash: Was the Bus Driver to Blame?
Lewis’ lawyer, Jeremy Saland, said ...... Hanegby was “seemingly oblivious to what’s going on around him” and noted that he was wearing “Beats — large over-the-ear headphones.”
This also implies that deaf people can't ride safely.
Old 09-20-18, 07:48 PM
vol

The surveillance videos of the moment when Hanegby was hit and run over have been released. Some may not want to see the second part.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Citi-Bike.html
Old 09-20-18, 07:49 PM
vol

This one doesn't include the disturbing run-over part:

Old 09-20-18, 08:20 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,464 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Teamprovicycle
Citi bikes are trash , and you dont know who is making the money off these scams . they just show up one day in your city , and over night you have hundreds of peole using bikes that probably should not be allowed to walk down the sidewalk, but honestly they should ban all cars in the hearts of major cities and promote enclosed quad bikes and such , im so tired of cars ..
I like the idea of banning cars or at least severely restricting them and charging for passage through the city, but I don't know why you don't like Citi Bike. We know which company is making money, it's Motivate, and last I heard, they were barely profitable. I'm sure it's improved since they took over the operation, because they're doing a better job than the previous company. Citi Bike has problems, and they are all related to the unexpected level of success, i.e. heavy usage it has had at every level and at every stage of improvement. The big failure of Citi Bike is its failure to fail.

I'm a member, and I don't use it much, as I usually ride my own bike. The bikes are uncomfortable and super heavy, but they are the right bike for the job, when the bike has to work for everyone who rents it.

Citi Bike can be used for one-way trips. I can't use my bike for that. For example, my wife and I meet a friend at a movie. The friend lives near us but will meet us from another direction. The friend doesn't cycle, so we all walk back home together instead of riding. You can't do that in a car, either. And one-way trips are great, because you're traveling light.

The clunkiness of the bike makes it unpleasant for me when the trip is over about three miles, but I can make a lot of three-mile trips, as the city is so dense.

I occasionally ride between home and work, which is 6-1/2 miles. That's a chore, but I still like it better than riding the subway, another flexible way to travel.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-20-18, 09:22 PM
vol

I don't wear earphones, have mirrors on my handlebar, and often choose to ride to the left of the vehicles (when possible or appropirate) so that the drivers can see me easily and estimate how close I am to them better, but I get similar close passes from Express Buses many times, and they are often speeding while squeezing past me, as if wanting to get me out of their way. It seems to me (given the fact that the driver honked at Hanegby) that the driver was angry that the cyclist didn't move to the side, so he went on as if the cyclist didn't exist. In fact the bus was headed slightly to the right as if it's going to driver the cyclist to a dead corner like many bus drivers do when they are heading to a stop sign.

Last edited by vol; 09-20-18 at 09:29 PM.
Old 09-20-18, 10:48 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Probably all I need to see of it, point made but the cyclist could have seen that bus in his peripheral vision...no sin in hitting a parked cargo van at that point.

Headphones are killers like that.
Old 09-21-18, 02:06 AM
mr_bill

Streetsblog - SEE IT: Video Shows Bus Driver Killing Citi Bike Rider Dan Hanegby

Originally Posted by “Emma Whitford, reporting for Streetsblog”
The bus driver did not slow down. The cyclist did not swerve.
A year ago Emma Whitford broke the story while working at Gothamist. What an NYPD spokesperson said at the time:

Originally Posted by “NYPD Spokesperson”
Surveillance footage shows the the cyclist looking right as he is swerving left.
-mr. bill
Old 09-21-18, 02:14 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18373 Post(s)
Liked 4,508 Times in 3,351 Posts
Anybody know the actual width of the bus? Width of the handlebars?

My watching the video from the rear, it appears to me as if the front fender is sticking out 3 or 4 inches beyond the edge of the bus, and the front fender clipped the handlebars sending the rider down. Although, it could have also been the side of the door + fender. An image of the bus should be able to verify the actual point of impact.

The story says the rider "lost his balance and fell over", but the clipping the handlebars twisted the front wheel and knocked the rider over.

fender.jpg

The wide handlebars may have been a detriment.

Cars are parked at about one or two car length intervals, and too close to duck between cars to allow vehicles behind to pass.

If the bus blew its horn, then it means the driver actually saw the bike and should have reacted himself. He got off very very light.

However, the one delivery van is also parked about a foot from the curb. The black vehicle is also parked, maybe 2 feet from the curb (is there a maximum legal distance to park from the curb)? The combination of the two vehicles being poorly parked narrowed the space for the bus + bike.

Converting parking to bike lanes would help, although not always popular with drivers. At the time the videos were taken, the number of cars beside the road could have been distributed to one side or the other, with tighter, but generally adequate parking.

Of course, it all boils down to... if it is not safe to pass, then don't pass.

The victim appeared to live for at least a period, and no sense of urgency in the bystanders to render first aid. Hard to say what aid a bystander could give, but certainly any bleeding would need to be stopped immediately. Swelling of extremities? And, of course, dialing emergency (I presume the woman in the dress called 911). Massive crush injuries are BAD!!!

Last edited by CliffordK; 09-21-18 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 08:00 AM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
I don't wear earphones, have mirrors on my handlebar, and often choose to ride to the left of the vehicles (when possible or appropirate) so that the drivers can see me easily and estimate how close I am to them better, but I get similar close passes from Express Buses many times, and they are often speeding while squeezing past me, as if wanting to get me out of their way.
When I commuted to work by bike the route included four blocks of the Fifth Avenue. I rode on the left side next to the parked cars. Most of the time the traffic is stopped at the red light, so I was able to squeeze past it. When the light turns green everyone starts moving, and Bx express buses passing by made me very nervous.
Originally Posted by vol
It seems to me (given the fact that the driver honked at Hanegby) that the driver was angry that the cyclist didn't move to the side, so he went on as if the cyclist didn't exist. In fact the bus was headed slightly to the right as if it's going to driver the cyclist to a dead corner like many bus drivers do when they are heading to a stop sign.
This is a clear sociopathic behavior from the bus driver. I think the second video was rightly shown to the jury to stress this. There was no need to publish it. Anyway, only tabloids like NY Post and Daily Mail did it.
Originally Posted by CliffordK
Anybody know the actual width of the bus? Width of the handlebars?
Specs for a similar bus: MCI J4500 | Motor Coach Industries
Overall Width: 102.00 in - 2.59 m
Old 09-21-18, 09:50 AM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here's what I don't get

Take a look at this parallel situation https://www.apnews.com/84d7b658d1874878a9de7063c9d94486

This time its an e-scooter rider not a bicyclist and the driver gets charged with homicide. At the time he was charged they were not sure about alcohol playing a role.

Is there a double standard on charging people depending on what/how is struck (cyclist, e-scooter, pedestrian, vehicle)?
Old 09-21-18, 10:14 AM
vol

Originally Posted by csport
When I commuted to work by bike the route included four blocks of the Fifth Avenue. I rode on the left side next to the parked cars. Most of the time the traffic is stopped at the red light, so I was able to squeeze past it. When the light turns green everyone starts moving, and Bx express buses passing by made me very nervous.
Fifth Avenue and BxM(?) express buses, exactly what I was talking about! So I know exactly what you are talking about. Once I even sent an email to the company with the bus number and time, location of the close pass; after weeks or maybe months got a general reply saying they'd talk to the driver. That was a few years ago. I highly doubt they took it seriously as things remain the same.

Last edited by vol; 09-21-18 at 10:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.