Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Do we rename this sub forum as "Indoor Racing"

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Do we rename this sub forum as "Indoor Racing"

Old 12-21-18, 06:07 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mattm
I believe that Intel is smaller than before, but it's still a big event right? Maybe it was "gigantic" previously and now it's just "big".

You would know better than me if the promoters of that race are losing $$ vs breaking even vs profiting, but it's bigger than any multi-day race I know of in CA.

Intelligentsia aside, my point is that it's not like quality races aren't attracting anyone. Around here the big races (Snelling, Chico, etc) still have big fields. The crap races have tiny fields. That's just the free market at work I guess.
I love intelli but the cat 2/3 field this year was tiny at most the midweek races. I was a bit surprised at this because cat 2s are usually the ones willing to travel because cat 2 fields are so rare (at least in the northeast, I think CA may be different?). I wonder how the mid week fields at something like dairylands are in the amateur categories. with the exception of athens, speed week seems like it's pretty much dead at this point, but i've never been so I'm just talking based on internet perception. New England can still draw "big" fields at the right events, but the # of events seems to be decreasing every year. I"m interested to see how the race scene in the south compares (I just moved to atlanta). I went to a crit to spectate last fall and the 2/3 field was like 10 dudes...
Old 12-21-18, 09:06 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
what's spotify?
It's like zwift for music.
Old 12-21-18, 10:02 AM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Bikes: N+3 dependents

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
If Zwift keeps the squirrelly riders out of my real-life paceline, I'm all for it.
Old 12-21-18, 10:56 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I prefer to have the squirrelly riders in my pace line so I can offer suggestions to help them improve. Or at times, yell at them.

Also, can we still say 'squirrelly' or is it too anti-animal? https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...s/77-620937532
Old 12-21-18, 12:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
It's like zwift for music.
That's fabulous.

Old 12-21-18, 12:20 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by mike868y
I love intelli but the cat 2/3 field this year was tiny at most the midweek races. I was a bit surprised at this because cat 2s are usually the ones willing to travel because cat 2 fields are so rare (at least in the northeast, I think CA may be different?). I wonder how the mid week fields at something like dairylands are in the amateur categories. with the exception of athens, speed week seems like it's pretty much dead at this point, but i've never been so I'm just talking based on internet perception. New England can still draw "big" fields at the right events, but the # of events seems to be decreasing every year. I"m interested to see how the race scene in the south compares (I just moved to atlanta). I went to a crit to spectate last fall and the 2/3 field was like 10 dudes...
Locally we have seen our numbers in the "P"/1/2 fields grow in the last few years (while 3/4/5 has dropped).

Agreed the numbers for Intelli were down. I could probably dig them up. The promoters do fine...kind of. It's Tom Schuler's crew at 10 Speed Productions. I respect him/them a lot. I sure as hell didn't at first but that's a great story for another day. It involved him and I yelling at each other, him kicking a set of rollers with a rider on them and me throwing new carbon wheels. They also run Tour of America's Dairyland. ToAD is always better attended than Intelli is. If you put them both together you might have old school SuperWeek between all of the venues.

The way they operate for Intelli at least is they look for venues/local promoters. The local promoters PAY them (10 speed productions) to put on a race on that course/venue. It is then up to the local promoter to secure the funding through sponsorship to cover that cost. They also sell sponsorship of the whole series that they get to keep. the also run registration and keep all entries. All in all it's a system that allows them to keep going year over year but can lead to placing too much pressure (financial and volunteer burnout) on the local promoters for each venue.

They've talked to me more than once about being in the series in some way. I just don't have that kind of money. They never discuss it openly as each venue and promoter actually pays different amounts (think employees getting different pay but never talking to each other about it) but I know the amounts that a few of the venues have had to pay. It's roughly 4-8x the size of one of my crit budgets and I get to keep the entry money.

I thought it looked like speedweek was dead when I looked at the calendar for the Pro road thing and USA Crits. Tulsa is still a destination race for many. Air Force should reschedule but they still draw enough that they don't care. Big races will continue for a while and might get better because attendance might go up - got to go if there aren't as many options.Still sad to see Glencoe go. Was my favorite race of the year and my last real opportunity to run into the pros I know at least once a year on my own area.

Old 12-21-18, 12:22 PM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm planning on speedweek this spring but judging by the schedule last year it's kind of ridiculous to even call it a "series." the races are all hours apart.
Old 12-21-18, 12:50 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Originally Posted by cmh
Also, can we still say 'squirrelly' or is it too anti-animal? https://www.firstcoastnews.com/artic...s/77-620937532
Ha, "speciesism"...

Guilty.
Old 12-21-18, 02:31 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Squirrely riders in a paceline are hardly the most dangerous aspect of riding out on the road.
Old 12-21-18, 04:16 PM
Succhia Ruota
in bagnomaria

Squirrely riders in a paceline are hardly the most dangerous aspect of riding out on the road.
Depends on the road.

And whether actual squirrels are present.
Old 12-24-18, 06:46 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
...because in virtual racing, there are no support vehicles, no road closures, no motorcycles or neutral cars, etc, etc. Saddening as it may be, this appears to be a big chunk of the future of competitive cycling.
No Gear restrictions.
No equipment restrictions.
No doping restrictions (or are there? - I don't know).

It is what road racing should be - fun and un-regulated.

cx is good for 3-5 more years. It is not really cycling. Certainly not Road Bike Racing.

Last edited by Doge; 12-24-18 at 06:51 PM.
Old 12-24-18, 07:30 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
what's spotify?
it's just an expression. internet thing.
Old 12-25-18, 01:45 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Indoor racing is kinda lame to me... yes I've done some.

you all are just gonna have to buy Gravel bikes or bike with more offroad capabilities.... this is where the future seems to be going.
Old 12-26-18, 11:52 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
it's just an expression. internet thing.
Old 01-02-19, 12:00 PM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 33 Posts
Definitely, the scene is shrinking down here. Two of the three biggest cat 1/2 teams in my area have had their budgets slashed by sponsors (i.e. bike shops). They are shells of what they were just 2 years ago. The shop that sponsored my team (of 100 racers) just went out of business. The only bright spot in this last year was the start of a new crit series on the north side. I expect the local scene to continue to dwindle, unfortunately.

If I was making bets, I would be on Zwift. I would short everything else.
Old 01-02-19, 04:05 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Our sponsorships for our team just dropped to ~30% of what it's been for the last 8 years or so. They're just dropping like flies and all of them are citing $/economy.

Old 01-02-19, 05:41 PM
Radish_legs

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Our sponsorships for our team just dropped to ~30% of what it's been for the last 8 years or so. They're just dropping like flies and all of them are citing $/economy.
Ironically, our team's $ sponsorship is at an all time high now. It's based however on team members working hard to recruit sponsors. And we are lucky in that 3 or 4 of our racers own businesses that are also sponsors. We selected a different bike shop as our new bike shop sponsor. But it's not our presenting sponsor. But one wonders about the future. It's a year to year thing, and if you lose your biggest sponsors, it can always be lights out.

The teams that are sponsored by the biggest bike shops in town are not doing so great, because the bike shops themselves cut sponsorships (I understand).

Seems like money is going down. I just went through your thread about promotion. I think about my own situation. I should be a prime candidate for the local road races. Masters Cat 3. I've yet to do a single road race. Ever. I just don't really care. Also, I'm at the stage where I'm not likely to ever really get a lot better. I'll probably never be a cat 2. I'm just doing it for fun, and in that case, I'll just do what is convenience and cost efficient. Balancing many things in my life.
Old 01-02-19, 05:54 PM
mattm
**** that

Mentioned: 151 Post(s)
Quoted: 1099 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 30 Posts
Our team's sponsor $$ went up this year.

But this is just anecdotal so not really valid.

my race videos
Old 01-02-19, 07:03 PM
Radish_legs

I think it's possible that zwift actually brings people into real racing, eventually. In the short term, it's not benefiting local races. But eventually there will be people that only do indoor peleton and zwift, that will try their hand at racing. But we are a long way from there. And that coming time is going to be scary as hell, lol.
Old 01-05-19, 10:12 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
I did not really know where to post this matter so I put it here because this thread is getting some action and has discussed cheating in virtual racing.

One of the reasons I believe outdoor racing and riding is down is due to lack of promotion from professional riders and teams and sponsors but in addition, main stream media could write positive things about cycling. On occasion they do, but they mostly like to focus on the negative aspect such as cheating.

WSJ - Headline...Ready, Set, Cheat: Electric Bikers Zoom Past Mad Pedalers on Cycling App. Tag line...Amateur cyclists on the popular site Strava are in an uproar over alleged e-bike cheaters. https://www.wsj.com/articles/ready-s...s&page=1&pos=1

The growing popularity of health and exercise apps has led to more people fudging on their fitness. They’re hacking fitness trackers like Fitbit, inflating their step counts and “forgetting” to record that afternoon bag of sour cream and onion potato chips.
Old 01-05-19, 04:12 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
People will lie about anything

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...GuN63d8CbAWj5M
Old 01-05-19, 08:06 PM
Radish_legs

Several members of my race team had broken bones this year.

A racer in my hometown in Texas was just struck and killed on a solo training ride.

Risk on trainer=low
Old 01-06-19, 04:04 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Where do you see that Niner is dead?
Old 01-06-19, 04:26 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by mrchristian

If you are a struggling LBS I'd embrace Zwift. It's a platform for racing you can do in a big room.
Plus you might sell a lot of smart trainers.
Old 01-07-19, 06:11 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
w/good reason though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.