Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 04-20-21, 09:49 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I should have bought DogeCoin. https://apnews.com/article/cryptocur...e49aff7a2bc5d6
Likes For Doge:
Old 04-20-21, 10:25 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
My son had his first track meet of the season today. A good afternoon: two firsts (400 and 4x100 relay) and two seconds (300 hurdles and 4x400 relay). But what I’m proudest of is how he supports his teammates and sticks around to help put away the equipment. He’s a good kid.
Old 04-21-21, 03:04 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
... He’s a good kid.
The sports stuff is just gravy.
Likes For Doge:
Old 04-22-21, 06:41 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
A dude from NJ — TT guy, did some gravel and mountain bike stuff, and I sort of recall him being in the mix one year when I won a cup — he went for a ride. He came back and leaned his bike against the car and went inside. Hours later his neighbor saw his bike still out there and the neighbor went to remind him. Guy dropped dead in his house in his kit. Dog was next to him. They figure stroke or heart attack. 57.
Old 04-22-21, 08:12 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Always sad to hear anything like that.
Old 04-22-21, 06:18 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Man, even a shrink could read that xray and tell it's knackered.
Four hand plastic surgeons are not sure what to do with it either - it's shattered. New x-rays today were even worse...

Get it "fixed" tomorrow morning but they say it may not work out well.
Old 04-22-21, 06:26 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

damn. good luck.

That was the situation with my elbow. It turned out workable.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-22-21, 07:53 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,960 Times in 1,571 Posts
yikes, GL Enthalpic
Likes For TMonk:
Old 04-23-21, 06:20 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,781 Posts
Good luck
Likes For himespau:
Old 04-23-21, 08:20 AM
cmh

Good luck Enthalpic.
Likes For cmh:
Old 04-23-21, 09:36 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
A dude from NJ — TT guy, did some gravel and mountain bike stuff, and I sort of recall him being in the mix one year when I won a cup — he went for a ride. He came back and leaned his bike against the car and went inside. Hours later his neighbor saw his bike still out there and the neighbor went to remind him. Guy dropped dead in his house in his kit. Dog was next to him. They figure stroke or heart attack. 57.
Similar thing happened with Barry. Racer, track coach and advocate, road coach and all around nice guy, despite his drill sergeant persona. He went for a ride solo and came home and that was it. He was 71, I think, and had been through cancer treatment. I always think of funny stories when I think of him. I checked, it was 2003.
Here he is pictured with a Landshark.
Old 04-23-21, 05:42 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

I didn't get to see post op x-rays but the physician said it went well in the file notes.

It was ORIF thank goodness, no pins sticking out of your skin.
Old 04-23-21, 05:57 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Glad to hear. Thanks for posting. I just swung by to see how you did.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 04-23-21, 11:34 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Thanks for the support.

Makes me very happy to have Canadian health care; at no point did they mention costs. Hand plastics is very expensive.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 04-24-21, 02:02 PM
cmh

Good to hear it went well Enthalpic.
Old 04-26-21, 06:18 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Already wondering about one of the folks added to the roster for 2021. Their first post to the private team Facebook group was a brag about their 2 hour Zwift ride they claimed was a "recovery ride". Nothing recovery about that ride. Duration or intensity. Also, I like my Zwift rides but I'd never post one up to the team site. Just me I guess. Usually the team site is reserved for race recaps, race calendar, training and equipment questions, or weeknight worlds recaps. Maybe they'll see how the site rolls and get the idea.
Old 04-26-21, 09:39 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Already wondering about one of the folks added to the roster for 2021. Their first post to the private team Facebook group was a brag about their 2 hour Zwift ride they claimed was a "recovery ride". Nothing recovery about that ride. Duration or intensity. Also, I like my Zwift rides but I'd never post one up to the team site. Just me I guess. Usually the team site is reserved for race recaps, race calendar, training and equipment questions, or weeknight worlds recaps. Maybe they'll see how the site rolls and get the idea.
It's a new generation. I have spent the last couple of months trying to temper new racer's enthusiasm without being an anchor or party pooper.

What's been kind of tricky on my end is one of the all time problems with racing that has a new "taste". Someone starts up and wants to race. Is immensely over talented. Won't stay long in the lower ranks. What races we have on the calendar now offer up way more racing as a 4 than a 5...err..."novice". Everyone on the team is encouraging this guy to upgrade to a 4 because....well... in the new USA Cycling anyone can do it at any time for any reason. I, of course, want him to learn some in races with complete newbs first and once he understands the basics like what a bell means, what a free lap is, what to do in a wreck, that corners handle differently on the last lap or two because of the increased speed, etc. So I advise him not to self upgrade until he has a few races under his belt. Then I step back and look at the big picture: USA Cycling is trying to 'build a community' and that includes lowering the perceived bar to entry. This guy isn't going to be poorly served if he instantly upgrades. Others who are walking in off the street with no experience or team support are just going to upgrade anyway (because someone on the internet told them to).

So I feel like a comedogen for telling him to wait. a bit like feeling teammates shouldn't post zwift rides I guess

One of my favorite lines I say all the time is "the best laid plans from the off season are usually abandoned by May". so it will be interesting to see how your guy's "recovery rides" pan out.

Old 04-26-21, 10:19 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
It's a new generation. I have spent the last couple of months trying to temper new racer's enthusiasm without being an anchor or party pooper.

What's been kind of tricky on my end is one of the all time problems with racing that has a new "taste". Someone starts up and wants to race. Is immensely over talented. Won't stay long in the lower ranks. What races we have on the calendar now offer up way more racing as a 4 than a 5...err..."novice". Everyone on the team is encouraging this guy to upgrade to a 4 because....well... in the new USA Cycling anyone can do it at any time for any reason. I, of course, want him to learn some in races with complete newbs first and once he understands the basics like what a bell means, what a free lap is, what to do in a wreck, that corners handle differently on the last lap or two because of the increased speed, etc. So I advise him not to self upgrade until he has a few races under his belt. Then I step back and look at the big picture: USA Cycling is trying to 'build a community' and that includes lowering the perceived bar to entry. This guy isn't going to be poorly served if he instantly upgrades. Others who are walking in off the street with no experience or team support are just going to upgrade anyway (because someone on the internet told them to).

So I feel like a comedogen for telling him to wait. a bit like feeling teammates shouldn't post zwift rides I guess

One of my favorite lines I say all the time is "the best laid plans from the off season are usually abandoned by May". so it will be interesting to see how your guy's "recovery rides" pan out.
I'm not going to rain anybody's parade. I want more folks in real life riding and racing. They'll probably be fine. I really hope this Thursday I can make worlds, a fun bunch coming.

Personally, even I haven't gotten 10 mass start road events per the "old" rule so haven't "asked". No reason to. I belong in 4/5 still and therefore being a 4 or 5 makes no difference to me. I can hang with the faster guys (Cat 3's or better) fine in weeknight worlds. But doesn't mean squat for a real race. So, I get 10 starts or get some podium at some point......sure.

I was considering doing J-City omnium in the summer.....I'm skinny and it's uphill then has a tiny little TT also. But every race report coming back from our die hard master's Cat 4 guy that's on the cusp of Cat 3 is.......crashes in the field. I think out of the one out of town RR he did and the 4 crits so far......batting .750 on reporting on a crash of some kind. For somebody that went to hospital in a race crash.......not reassuring to hear about.

I just don't get how on weeknight worlds with a mix of abilities from 2/3 down to cat 5 we can shell groups to only 2 to 4 in the leading group on similar terrain they hold these road races. I guess the RR packs are too big to shell enough people and 4/5's too rabid of a bunch.

Last weeknight worlds 4 of us had shelled the 12 to 15 others by 20min or so and were gone gone.

For the crits, they're wide parking lots but their start times just don't jive with getting out of work and driving to Winston. Otherwise I would go. Our teammate that does all those out there his work is really setup well for that kind of thing.

All I've got now is the May TT thing. I'd do the one this weekend in VA but the wife has the kids on me for her last grad school projects. The local TT series by Greensboro didn't materialize. The one where the official waved me off course with 1/3 mile to go last year .

I'm praying for a cross season even if I'm not that skilled and just mid to front 1/3 pack fodder in that. It's local, fun, and most of the team does them. So really want that to come up. I may ask for an upgrade to 4 from 5 though for cross. I have start points and ride plenty smooth enough to do the 3/4 field. If I can't, I'll setup a spare wheel as single speed and run that field also.

There's a duathlon in Greensboro late summer I will do. Run, smash the bike, limp in......lose.....have fun. Given the running doesn't hurt cross fitness I could probably handle 30mpw to do better. We'll see.

I don't have anything to complain about really. Is what it is.
Old 04-26-21, 10:42 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
BTS, I'm pretty sure some of your first posts on here sounded a lot like that guy.

(I think it's just part of being new and enthusiastic in this sport.)
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-26-21, 11:17 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
I try to tell myself I don't necessarily care about speed when I'm riding outside, but that's 100% true lol On my workout Sat I did 15min intervals ~260w and my speed for those intervals (done on fairly flat loop) was around 21.5mph. This was done on my Allez, so basic road bike, but I was wearing a lazer bullet aero helmet and my long sleeve CX skinsuit. According to bike calculator, that actually appears to be in the ballpark, though I'm not sure how that site models for any aerodynamic stuff. I guess the next step in low hanging fruit would be to shave my legs, still not convinced shelling out for aero handlebars or wheels is going to give me any tremendous gain, esp since the real goal for me is to push more watts and not necessarily speed
Old 04-26-21, 11:28 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Originally Posted by topflightpro
BTS, I'm pretty sure some of your first posts on here sounded a lot like that guy.

(I think it's just part of being new and enthusiastic in this sport.)
Pretty much!

I learn something new every day. And those on the team that have seen it 100x tell you "watch that guy" or "watch for this"......I remember now they've seen it 100x and I haven't.
Old 04-26-21, 01:33 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts
not my race, but local weekly crit started yesterday, it's done in an office park area with weekend traffic, and there's a brilliant driver (video timed just before incident occurred)

Old 04-26-21, 03:02 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
your timestamp didn't work.

The sound of wet carbon wheels braking in the rain though, don't miss that sound.
Old 04-27-21, 07:28 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
What's the time stamp?
Old 04-27-21, 08:48 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Getting frustrated hunting my Strava routes for interval routes on the TT bike. Same old same old is fine, but for 20min it's proving annoying. 20min at over 25mph gets you pretty far. I guess a small stutter to safely turn or whatever isn't a big deal.

One place I found and heatmaps has folks using with some frequency, no idea where to park nearby. Unless it's the same person making a million laps living nearby. As the roads to get to it are junk for traffic. And parking doesn't look great nearby without towing.

Gotta figure it out. It's 3.5mi from some greenway parking lot, but man the 3.5mi to get there looks junk.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.