Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Bib shorts fit

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bib shorts fit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-21, 01:40 PM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Bib shorts fit

Ive just taken delivery of some Castelli Competizione bibs (large) and the fit is perfect, except the straps feel a little tight over the shoulder, although not uncomfortably so. Are they supposed to be like this when walking upright, on the premise that they'll feel fine when on the bike? Or is it just that they don't fit?

I'm 5ft 10 (178cm), so not particularly tall, and I feel the next size up would be too big in most places.

This is my first pair of Castelli shorts, by the way.
Old 05-12-21, 03:50 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
fwiw.. my Free Aero Race 4s, are much tighter over the shoulder than my FR3 versions from the year prior.. or the fabric isn't as stretchy. I'm about 6'2" in an XL. That tightness does seem to be unnoticeable once in a riding position and on the bike though.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-12-21, 03:52 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
My understanding is that you size bibs by height and don't worry about things like waist unless you are seriously outside the realm of a normal human being. The straps will stretch a little, so if they're not causing soreness, let it be and enjoy. Otherwise one size bigger might serve you well. I'm 5'10" and fit most brands size large, which hasn't changed even though my waist has.
Old 05-12-21, 04:44 PM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by urbanknight
My understanding is that you size bibs by height and don't worry about things like waist unless you are seriously outside the realm of a normal human being. The straps will stretch a little, so if they're not causing soreness, let it be and enjoy. Otherwise one size bigger might serve you well. I'm 5'10" and fit most brands size large, which hasn't changed even though my waist has.
Thanks. I'll give them another try tonight. Id originally ordered the mediums, which is what I take ìn most clothing, and they proved too small in the leg and height, so these are me "sizing up".
Old 05-12-21, 07:25 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
Yeah, that's what some manufacturers say, and it's not good advice. I'm 6'2" and about 168 lbs; if I buy the size that some brands recommend based on my height (large), I've got waaay too much lycra and padding. It's better to buy according to waist size, and make sure the bibs have soft & stretchy straps.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-12-21, 07:49 PM
MagicHour

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This has been my experience for most bibs, usually go by waist size, the rare times I've tried sizing up from my normal size Medium I've been disappointed with a sloppy fit. 5'11"/164# w/ chicken legs. Tighter straps will usually loosen up a bit (within reason). There has been exactly 1 item where the straps were too short - a pair of M tights that seemed like the straps were sized for a toddler, not convinced it wasn't a mfg error!

The straps will stretch a little, so if they're not causing soreness, let it be and enjoy. Otherwise one size bigger might serve you well.
Originally Posted by Koyote
It's better to buy according to waist size, and make sure the bibs have soft & stretchy straps.
Likes For MagicHour:
Old 05-12-21, 09:24 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Yeah, that's what some manufacturers say, and it's not good advice. I'm 6'2" and about 168 lbs; if I buy the size that some brands recommend based on my height (large), I've got waaay too much lycra and padding. It's better to buy according to waist size, and make sure the bibs have soft & stretchy straps.
Sounds like everyone has their own experience. I stopped buying mediums (even when I was 145lb with a 34" waist) because I literally got sore shoulders from the straps. Large felt just as good to me on the bottom, and less restrictive up top.
Old 05-12-21, 09:49 PM
Doomrider74

Its OK, you can all relax as I've just been for a quick 18km and the fit is fine on the bike. They feel great, in fact.
Old 05-12-21, 10:06 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I had to size up on their Free Protect bibs because the straps were much less stretchy than every other bib shorts I've ever owned (e.g., Assos, Sportful, Rapha, Voler). Not sure why they skimp on that, especially when the Castelli size charts have no height measurements, only inseam. Definitely see Castelli as catering more toward shorter people, as I have multiple Rossa Corsa items and they're all either short or on the loose side.
Old 05-12-21, 10:28 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Its OK, you can all relax as I've just been for a quick 18km and the fit is fine on the bike. They feel great, in fact.
Nope, we're gonna take this thread to 3 pages before we even think of letting it die.
Old 05-12-21, 10:30 PM
Doomrider74

Nope, we're gonna take this thread to 3 pages before we even think of letting it die.
Id expect nothing less
Old 05-12-21, 10:38 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Broken record here. I never got into bibs because using clip-on suspenders with shorts works so well. I buy shorts by crotch fit (and I try them on). For me, a snug fit of the "chamois" and the shorts keeping everything comfortable and where it belongs are all important. Adjustable suspenders mean I never have to even consider strap length. (This does mean the shorts are typically a little tight around the waist when new but those straps quickly stretch that waist and is a few rides, they are fine. And for older shorts, I tighten the suspenders to go a little snugger down there. Bibs go the other way.)

There are two drawbacks. I don't get to be hip and I don't get the spend the really big bucks/
Old 05-13-21, 12:13 AM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
Are they supposed to be like this when walking upright, on the premise that they'll feel fine when on the bike?
yes. welcome to sh*t that fits right
Old 05-13-21, 05:25 AM
Koyote

Sounds like everyone has their own experience. I stopped buying mediums (even when I was 145lb with a 34" waist) because I literally got sore shoulders from the straps. Large felt just as good to me on the bottom, and less restrictive up top.
Yes, you’re right – my post was about my own experience.
But your post reminds me: I’m amazed that some manufacturers can’t get the straps right. They should all be supple and stretchy and virtually unnoticeable in use. And yet, some are awful: about two years ago I bought a pair of top-of-the-line bibs from Specialized, in my usual size, and the straps had almost no stretch and a texture like sandpaper.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-13-21, 07:54 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Yes, you’re right – my post was about my own experience.
But your post reminds me: I’m amazed that some manufacturers can’t get the straps right. They should all be supple and stretchy and virtually unnoticeable in use. And yet, some are awful: about two years ago I bought a pair of top-of-the-line bibs from Specialized, in my usual size, and the straps had almost no stretch and a texture like sandpaper.
79pmooney’s post is making me think bibs should have adjustable straps.

Thanks for the comment on Specialized. I was about to try their RBX bib, but maybe I’ll skip the sandpaper experience.
Old 05-13-21, 08:14 AM
Koyote

79pmooney’s post is making me think bibs should have adjustable straps.

Thanks for the comment on Specialized. I was about to try their RBX bib, but maybe I’ll skip the sandpaper experience.
That wasn't the model - it was the SL Pro, or something like that, of a couple years ago.

I do have a couple-year old pair of the RBX bibs, though, and they are very comfy - and the lycra also started to fall apart after one year of light use. Between those two experiences, I am kind of done with Spesh.

If you've not tried them yet, Rapha seems good. Great customer service, too.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 05-13-21, 09:00 AM
Doomrider74

Adjustable straps would introduce something else to rub, which is against the whole point of bibs in the first place I.e to eliminate pressure points where possible.
Old 05-13-21, 09:01 AM
Doomrider74

That wasn't the model - it was the SL Pro, or something like that, of a couple years ago.

I do have a couple-year old pair of the RBX bibs, though, and they are very comfy - and the lycra also started to fall apart after one year of light use. Between those two experiences, I am kind of done with Spesh.

If you've not tried them yet, Rapha seems good. Great customer service, too.
Id hope so for the price.
Old 05-13-21, 10:28 AM
Koyote

Id hope so for the price.
Quality is often cheaper, in the long-run. The Spesh RBX bibs were $150 and started failing within a year of light use...Rapha cost (I think) about $230, and after three years of hard use, both pairs are still in great shape.
Old 05-13-21, 01:56 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Adjustable straps would introduce something else to rub, which is against the whole point of bibs in the first place I.e to eliminate pressure points where possible.
I switched to bibs because my gut started to spill over the waist of my shorts and fold it down. When I was a twig, I really didn't care if I wore bibs or shorts.

Still, I think a little creativity would allow for some adjustability in straps without rubbing.