Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

New attitude...

Old 05-18-21, 09:41 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
New attitude...

After the chaos of this last year, I've REALLY struggled. As many of us have. No motivation. Working at changing that.

My local cycling club decided we needed new jerseys. Been about 6 years since the previous ones.

Old one on the left is a 3X. I've lost a lot of weight since that one came out, so it's loose on me now. New one on the right is XL. Tooele Valley Cycling Club, and this year we had a sponsor for the jerseys, Tooele Valley Bicycle... (and the design has nothing to do with the pandemic, but sure fits!)

My 29er needed a change. Bottom pic is with drop bars was a gift and that was the setup as received.

After talking it over with a buddy, I decided to go flat bars and ditch the 3x9 for 1x9. I have yet to choose a chainring, or a wider ratio cassette. But the first rides so far have been fun. Really, the only time I ever used the big ring, was on pavement. And I've only used the smallest ring twice. Thinking about a dropper post though.

I will get more riding on my indoor trainer with Zwift this year. But getting to ride with my grandkids again has been my best motivation...

My weight seemscto be holding pretty steady at 245, give or take a few pounds. Lower would be fine, but no longer stressing about it. As long as I'm holding fairly steady, I'll never see 378 again...

Wife asked if a new bike would help. I'm not real sure. But a friend is considering a fatbike, if he jumps, I might get one as well.

Motivation?

I never want to be that guy on the left, ever again... And maybe, earn that HTH100 jersey my sister sent me when I broke my back 10 years ago...
Likes For zjrog:
Old 05-18-21, 02:02 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
New club jersey day is almost always good! My club went from "meh, it could be worse" to...well worse actually.

Congrats on the weight loss and get out there and ride! It's the our best defense against depression and being the guy on the left in all of our pictures.
Likes For aplcr0331:
Old 05-20-21, 12:07 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
New club jersey day is almost always good! My club went from "meh, it could be worse" to...well worse actually.

Congrats on the weight loss and get out there and ride! It's the our best defense against depression and being the guy on the left in all of our pictures.
I hope your club recovers!!! While we didn't ride over the past year outdoors, we did ride in Zwift and chatted on Dischord...

I'm looking forward to group rides again actually. I'm hoping to get out with another group I ride with this Saturday, Continue Mission, they are a local veteran support group. We got new jerseys last year but they were delayed due to the lockdowns, they were printed in Italy...

Majority of my outdoor riding this past year has been with my oldest grandkids... And that, puts a smile on my face every time (another ride with them this Sunday!!!)