Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Summer sleeves?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Summer sleeves?

Old 05-27-21, 08:39 AM
Doomrider74

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 55 Posts
Summer sleeves?

My brother is currently going through treatment for skin cancer and as well as the obvious concerns I have for him, its also got me concerned about protecting myself because I am similarly fair skinned.

Does anyone use "summer" long sleeves on road rides? I see a couple of companies do the summer equivalent of arm warmers, or perhaps a long sleeve jersey: has anyone tried these? I live in BC, Canada where it doesn't get crazy hot for long periods, but can still be high 20s, low 30s. Low to mid 20s are more typical. Obviously, I don't want anything thats going to make me boil in a bag.

Of course, I could slather in the factor 50, but there's always a chance this could wear off on long rides.

Ive ordered a summer cycling cap as I'm fed up of getting a toxic blend of sunscreen and sweat in my eyes, so thats covered, literally.
Old 05-27-21, 08:47 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
I don’t use them, but have a friend who does and he swears by them. He says they are hot. I imagine in the warmer weather, you could keep them wet and they would actually keep you cooler than no covers. I am down south in Seattle, so similar weather.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 05-27-21, 09:05 AM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
I initially tried Desoto "arm coolers" and "leg coolers", and they did the job, but having to deal with multiple pieces when getting dressed was an annoyance, and then I discovered long sleeved summer jerseys. Many different mfgrs sell these, and they are often UPF-rated. I currently have one from Performance and one from Aerotech. I no longer wear short-sleeved jerseys.

Here is an article that lists some mfgrs: https://www.roadbikerider.com/a-prim...ng-apparel-d5/

I still use the Desoto leg coolers.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 05-27-21, 09:21 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4219 Post(s)
Liked 2,940 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a couple of sun-sleeves that worked ok. Also an under armour-style compression shirt that claimed to be UPF rated as a base layer. Not sure what happened to that. I mainly ride Zwift these days, so I have lost track.
Likes For himespau:
Old 05-27-21, 09:22 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I use either sun sleeves, arm and knee, or long sleeve jerseys/long bibs, and sunblock. The best the thing I can do for sun protection is to get up and get out on the bike early before the sun gets more direct and intense. Even if it is in the low to mid 80s, once the sun gets high enough in the sky, it is too much for me. Top that with no longer able to cope with hot weather very well, my limit from end of May thru most of September is about 10 am.

I go to a dermatologist twice a year and have had numerous things cut off, and a whole lot of freezing other areas. A couple of the excisions have been with Mohs type surgery. One of them left a very noticeable dent in my forehead. Melanoma is what killed my father. It metastasized in his brain and was found after he passed out and busted his head open pretty bad. Just about 2 weeks later, he was gone. Like most people of my generation, baby boomer, I had a lot of quite nasty sunburns when I was young. I have always spent much time outdoors, sports, fishing, bicycling, etc. I do not like having sun block on, but I deal with it. Not cycling, not being outside, not an option.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 05-27-21, 09:30 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
I live in what is effectively reclaimed swampland. 90-95F temps with 90% humidity are not uncommon in the summer. We'll have stretches where it's tickling 100F (and occasionally over). This necessitates as little clothing as possible.

That being said, if cancer is going to kill me, it'll probably be skin cancer.

Old 05-27-21, 09:36 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Andy Somnifac
I live in what is effectively reclaimed swampland. 90-95F temps with 90% humidity are not uncommon in the summer. We'll have stretches where it's tickling 100F (and occasionally over). This necessitates as little clothing as possible.

That being said, if cancer is going to kill me, it'll probably be skin cancer.
Thank you, you've been most helpful
Old 05-27-21, 09:42 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I wear them on almost every ride (I'll skip it if I'm going to wrap up before 10am or if I start after 7pm, but neither of those is very common). I've been using PI sun sleeves for a few years - if you're moving at a decent pace and it's not really hot and humid, I think they they're more comfortable than going sleeveless - my skin doesn't heat up as much with them on, but YMMV (I'm dark-skinned in the summer).

I recently found some discontinued () Castelli sleeves that I love. The fabric is a little more loosely woven and less overtly plasticky and more supple/flexible than the PI - they don't bunch up as much with bent elbows (which isn't very aero, now, is it? ). I'd buy a few more sets if I could find 'em.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 05-27-21, 09:54 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
My wife uses sun sleeves on arms and legs due to extreme sun sensitivity that aggravates her eczema. She has tried various brands and her favorite were made by Specialized using their Deflect UV material-- but they seem to have discontinued the leg sleeves.

Like Shimagnolo, she has moved on to long sleeve summer jerseys for the top.
Old 05-27-21, 09:56 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,470 Times in 4,179 Posts
I have multiple pairs of sun sleeves and at this point I just buy the Amazon Chinese brands that are a bunch of letters.

I've used LG, REI, and PI(talk about letters!) but the Amazon sun sleeves fit me the same and last just as long(or short).
This is the current brand I have.
https://www.amazon.com/Aegend-Sleeve...130836&sr=8-18

All the sunsleeves get grimy and dingy. I ride a lot of gravel so that's sorta inevitable. At least with the cheap ones it's easier to accept that they are a 1 season use product.
Old 05-27-21, 10:01 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,514 Times in 548 Posts
I have a couple of long sleeve summer jerseys and don't find them to be much hotter than a short sleeve but I also live in a low humidity area. May be different where it's humid.
Old 05-27-21, 10:11 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6163 Post(s)
Liked 4,782 Times in 3,300 Posts
I use sun sleeves while cycling. Even when it's 95°F plus temps.

For me it's nice not to require slathering of sun block all over me. Now I mostly put sun block on the back of my neck, ears and around my knees. Much quicker less mess.

However I find that they can be hot when slow. So as the temps get hotter and hotter, the more I avoid routes that have long periods where I will be below 16 mph. If I do have to ride at slow speeds for a while or stop, I'll yank them down. You'll heat up quick in hot weather when stopped, so be aware of that.

Pearl Izumi had a pair that really seemed to allow better cooling than any other's I've tried. Sadly they were cut off me several years ago at the ER and the new Pearl Izumi sun sleeves just don't quite do as well. But I haven't tried them all yet.

If you aren't sweating enough to keep them moist, then wet them. Evaporative cooling is a wonderful thing.
Old 05-27-21, 10:17 AM
Shimagnolo

Quoted: 3369 Post(s)
Liked 5,483 Times in 2,841 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I recently found some discontinued () Castelli sleeves that I love. The fabric is a little more loosely woven and less overtly plasticky and more supple/flexible than the PI - they don't bunch up as much with bent elbows (which isn't very aero, now, is it? ). I'd buy a few more sets if I could find 'em.
The first long-sleeved summer Jersey I bought was Performance brand in white. The material had a ribbed texture and looked fairly heavy. But when wearing it, I found the weave was so loose that any moving air blew right through it. It was great! I was so impressed that after my first ride, I immediately ordered a 2nd one.

I wore those out over a few years. When I ordered a replacement, Performance had gone to a different fabric that looked thinner, but had a tighter weave with a perforated texture. The next one I bought was from Aerotech and it was similar to the newer Performance fabric.

I'd love to find some with the old Performance fabric.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 05-27-21, 10:28 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I wear a silk weight long sleeve base layer when I want to hide from the sun. Entire thing weighs maybe 85 grams. It also spreads sweat it horizontally which means it dries fastest over a larger area providing more cooling.

Best by far is Arc'teryx Phase SL. Their Motus SL it's pretty great too, but cut looser and maybe with sizing down in.
Old 05-27-21, 10:36 AM
Tycho Brahe 

Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 67 Posts
They are called sun sleeves. I use them for all my long rides. Living in Los Angeles, I see a lot of sun. My arm tan lines are in control since I use them, but my legs are out of control.
Old 05-27-21, 10:48 AM
Doomrider74

Originally Posted by Tycho Brahe
They are called sun sleeves. I use them for all my long rides. Living in Los Angeles, I see a lot of sun. My arm tan lines are in control since I use them, but my legs are out of control.
Yes, the summer version of arm warmers are called that, but I titled this "summer sleeves" to also incorporate alternatives, such as long sleeve jerseys and base layers.
Old 05-27-21, 11:04 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,072 Posts
When I was doing brevets on a recumbent, particularly when i lived in Texas, i wore sun sleeves on arms and legs. The bent posture exposes even more skin to the sun. They work great for protecting skin, and i didn't feel they made me hotter.

These days I live in the PNW, where a rain jacket and /or wool jersey is more common garb. I will break out the sun sleeves for long rides on sunny days, if/when that ever happens.

Thumbs up from me.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-27-21, 11:10 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Another sun sleeve user here. They definitely work and will keep the UV off your arms. I find them a touch warmer than without, but they avoid the brain fog you sometimes get after hours of sun beating down on you. Especially if you have skin cancer concerns, I would get a pair and try them out.
Likes For Caliper:
Old 05-27-21, 03:16 PM
oris
I like speed

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix Hi Mod, Specialized Allez Sprint, Bottecchia Emme 4 SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 121 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Doomrider74
Yes, the summer version of arm warmers are called that, but I titled this "summer sleeves" to also incorporate alternatives, such as long sleeve jerseys and base layers.
You could look for a long sleeve summer weight jersey like the Castelli Prologo and Le Col Sport long sleeve jerseys. They both are very lightweight and breath well. For me, they're great for early morning rides but still remain cool enough when it starts warming up.
Likes For oris:
Old 05-27-21, 03:18 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I'm in Seattle and regularly wear sun sleeves and knee sleeves (rest of calf just gets sunscreen). I don't trust the fit of any alternative long-sleeve option because in my experience they're all the wrong length or too loose. I never feel too hot wearing them as it'd only be noticeable going really, really slow, in which case simply rolling them down or spraying water on them works fine. Maybe would be a problem if I were on an H.C. climb during a hot spell, but I'm not ever in that situation.

I've actually been trying to find better-fitting sleeves, the ones I've used are either too loose on the forearm and wrinkle or too short. I had a weird tan on my upper arm for a year after wearing Pactimo sleeves on STP that slipped down slightly while wearing a non-aero SS jersey (was repping a charity, otherwise I'd always choose an aero jersey with longer sleeves). That and the tan line on my wrists, even protected by plenty of sunscreen, tells me how well sleeves work.
Likes For surak:
Old 05-27-21, 07:29 PM
KJ43
Dead but dreaming

Bikes: 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, 2022 Cannondale Synapse

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 326 Times in 186 Posts
I'm in the Bay Area and during late spring, summer, and early fall I wear sun sleeves for all my rides.

They work fairly well, but on exposed rides I come back with color on my arms. The ones that I bought state that they provide protection equivalent to SPF 30. On longer rides with a lot of exposure I'll put on sunscreen below for extra protection.
Likes For KJ43:
Old 05-27-21, 07:58 PM
jleeg

Bikes: Moseman with Campy NR circa 1979, Merlin Titanium from1993 with newly installed Campy Chorus 12, Raleigh Tamland II gravel grinder, Tommassini XFire with Campy Record

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 38 Posts
I wear and like then, even in heat and humidity. Aegend from Amazon are less than $20 for two pair and work well. Summer sleeves from Pactimo are primo. I was finding that either sun screen or sun was giving me an itchy rash, barley visible, but bothersome. No longer.
Likes For jleeg:
Old 05-27-21, 08:33 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Sunscreen wears off after a few hours. Clothes are a better solution.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 05-27-21, 11:51 PM
cp88mb1

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
I live in Bay Area and regularly wear Giordanas sun sleeves. I really like them - lightweight and comfortable until maybe 90 degrees or so. I used to have some castelli sun sleeves but find these to be much more comfortable at higher temps.
Old 05-28-21, 06:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked 1,931 Times in 1,378 Posts
Another sun-sleeves wearer, arms only. I haven't tried leg sleeves. My legs don't get such a beating from the sun, so sun block works OK. I don't think my sun sleeves are any warmer even climbing. I think color makes a big difference in skin temperature. I'm white, but not that white, especially as I tan in summer. When it's a little cool at the start, I wear regular arm warmers over the sun sleeves and roll them down and up as needed.

I once saw a guy abandon on a hot event ride while dressed all in "cool black." That's a lie.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.