Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Beach Cruisers
Reload this Page >

Looking for a new Non Brooks seat..any thoughts on these?

Notices
Beach Cruisers Do you love balloon tires and fenders? Do you love riding the simplicity of a single gear and coaster brakes or a single gear cluster? Do you love the classic curves in the tubing of a cruiser that takes you back to the 1950's and 1960's, stylistically? Here's your home! Welcome to the Beach Cruisers and Cruisers forum!

Old 05-10-21, 11:42 AM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts

I stole the Brooks B130 off my Electra and put it on my Dolomite and I'll be the first to admit the stock Electra elastomer seats on the base cruisers are horrible. So I'm looking for a new seat. I admit I really do like the Brooks seats like the The B33, The B73,The B130 and the B190 and The B130 broke in very well and was super comfortable but all these run to the expensive side at about $200. The B66 is in the $30-140 range but doesn't have the extra spingage that Im really liking

I found a few others that run in the $50-$70 range That have the look and look like they have that nice Lazy Boy Feel but at a lower price. Looking for any thoughts if anyone has one.

Let me know what you think

Brooks B33

Brooks B73

Brooks B130

Brooks B190. Same as the 130 but wider.

Brooks B66 This is about $130 ish shipped but lacks the extra springs.

Contender 1 The Velo SD About $70

Ebay Special leather about $60

Ebay Special 2 leather about $50

Last edited by JehD; 05-18-21 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-22-21, 09:35 AM
JehD

I’m a little surprised no one had an opinion, but it is what is. I got an email last night from modern bike and they were having a sale on the B33. For $180 and free shipping.

I was still on the fence about it but took a ride with the Mrs and the dog the AM. And I had stolen the Schwinn fabric covered but with HD springs off her bike and near the end of my ride, and it wasn’t long, and my but was hurting. So that made the decision

i pulled the trigger on the B33, a little wider than the B130 but without the double rear springs. I figured since I won’t be going off road with the cruiser as much the trade off should work. The B130 and B190 were also on sale and if they were in stock it would’ve been a harder decision. Lol

I’ll post some pics after it’s arrived.

Last edited by JehD; 06-22-21 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-23-21, 10:50 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by JehD
I’m a little surprised no one had an opinion, but it is what is. I got an email last night from modern bike and they were having a sale on the B33. For $180 and free shipping.

I was still on the fence about it but took a ride with the Mrs and the dog the AM. And I had stolen the Schwinn fabric covered but with HD springs off her bike and near the end of my ride, and it wasn’t long, and my but was hurting. So that made the decision

i pulled the trigger on the B33, a little wider than the B130 but without the double rear springs. I figured since I won’t be going off road with the cruiser as much the trade off should work. The B130 and B190 were also on sale and if they were in stock it would’ve been a harder decision. Lol

I’ll post some pics after it’s arrived.
I’ve never had a brooks saddle. I would not be surprised if you’re paying mostly for better leather on the Brooks. Leather that is both tear resistant but still supple enough to be comfortable might be worth the price.

Maybe repost this on the C&V gate.
Old 06-23-21, 12:11 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
I’ve never had a brooks saddle. I would not be surprised if you’re paying mostly for better leather on the Brooks. Leather that is both tear resistant but still supple enough to be comfortable might be worth the price.

Maybe repost this on the C&V gate.
I'm sure some of it is paying for the name and I've been very happy with the B130, though I'm sure a company doesn't get to be 150 years old buy being crappy. I decided that its worth paying more for the contact points and like shoes Ive had a hard time finding good seats over the years.
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-23-21, 12:29 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
I'm sure some of it is paying for the name and I've been very happy with the B130, though I'm sure a company doesn't get to be 150 years old buy being crappy. I decided that its worth paying more for the contact points and like shoes Ive had a hard time finding good seats over the years.
Their is probably a name/quality/price feedback loop.

Agree about shoes. My case is work boots. Good work boots that fit your feet well with good quality supple leather. If you’re on your feet for a few hours at a time.

Even with the best boots, can’t wait to be barefoot again. Get my feet free as soon as I get to the car.
Old 06-23-21, 12:42 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by SkinGriz

Agree about shoes. My case is work boots. Good work boots that fit your feet well with good quality supple leather. If you’re on your feet for a few hours at a time.

Even with the best boots, can’t wait to be barefoot again. Get my feet free as soon as I get to the car.
Ooh work boots. I was a mechanic for over 30 years so I was on my feet all day everyday. I was buying Redbacks in the $180 range. Worth every penny, they were comfortable and lasted about 3 years in a really rough environment.

I'm not much of a barefoot person. Too many sharp things to step on in the SW and with the sun as brutal I always have socks and shoes. Burned insteps are painful.
Old 06-26-21, 11:35 PM
JehD

The B33 arrived...OOoooh those twisted wire coils. Looks amazing in person.
Likes For JehD:
Old 06-27-21, 10:43 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 795 Times in 603 Posts
I agree about shoes and seats. Fortunately I've always had good luck with WTB saddles although I have one Brooks "springer" that hasn't been broken in yet. Shoes and sandals, it's Five-Ten or Rainbow.
Likes For 2old:
Old 06-27-21, 01:18 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
The B33 arrived...OOoooh those twisted wire coils. Looks amazing in person.
Definitely give us a ride report. Also, how much does that weigh? I have a Brooks Conquest & a Brooks Flyer. Both great.
Old 06-27-21, 03:15 PM
JehD

Originally Posted by stevel610
Definitely give us a ride report. Also, how much does that weigh? I have a Brooks Conquest & a Brooks Flyer. Both great.
I did weigh it, ands just under 3 1/2 pounds. But when the bikes over 40, does it really matter? lol.

Edit. I got the seat on and set up and just a short ride up the street and….whoa it is amazing. My B135 was firm and took a little to break in but I can tell this is going to be awesome.

There is a charity ride at the end of the summer and I was hoping to take the Electra. With this it should be awesome.

Last edited by JehD; 06-27-21 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For JehD: