Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Must Schwalbe One micro skin be used tubeless

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-21, 07:03 PM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

The Schwalbe website claims that micro skin offers very good puncture protection, but I have older rims that are not tubeless ready. Will the puncture protection suffer if I use tubes (i.e., does the sealant polymerize with he micro skin?) The tires are on sale, so want to jump at them. There is no V guard, just micro skin and puncture protection is important. Schwalbe claims that this is one of their best. Any thoughts?
Old 09-17-21, 02:45 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3134 Post(s)
Liked 1,702 Times in 1,027 Posts
Schwalbe’s tech stricture is complicated and hard to understand clearly, but as I can figure, the Microskin casing was developed for air retention primarily, and is really not very tough. In combination with sealant, that’s when Schwalbe reckons you have good puncture resistance with Microskin. Microskin was their first tubeless tech, and those of us who ran original One tires know they could get cuts pretty easily.

The newest casings for tubeless One and Pro One are supposed to be more supple and made durable with either Raceguard or V Guard protection belts.

Based on my experience running all tubeless versions of the One/Pro One series, I’d suggest going with the new, tube type One for your application. Sealant is a big part of the puncture-proofing on tubeless models, so if that’s important, the Raceguard belt on tubed One is probably better than using a tubeless casing.

The other option is to ise their new Aerothan TPU tube, which is supposed to offer greater puncture resistance than typical butyl tubes, in either a tube thpe or tubeless One or Pro One. I can’t say if an Aerothan equipped tubeless Pro One Microskin would be any more or less durable than an Aerothan equipped Tube type One Raceguard, however. I had an Aerothan puncture the other day from a sliver of glass, but it did not lose air quickly, and rather than ripping open, it remained a tiny, slow, pinhole leak even after I removed the glass shard. It also patched just fine with Lezyne self adhesive patches.
Old 09-17-21, 03:38 AM
pm124
Car free since 1995

Bikes: M5 Carbon High Racer, Trek Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Schwalbe’s tech stricture is complicated and hard to understand clearly, but as I can figure, the Microskin casing was developed for air retention primarily, and is really not very tough. In combination with sealant, that’s when Schwalbe reckons you have good puncture resistance with Microskin. Microskin was their first tubeless tech, and those of us who ran original One tires know they could get cuts pretty easily.

The newest casings for tubeless One and Pro One are supposed to be more supple and made durable with either Raceguard or V Guard protection belts.

Based on my experience running all tubeless versions of the One/Pro One series, I’d suggest going with the new, tube type One for your application. Sealant is a big part of the puncture-proofing on tubeless models, so if that’s important, the Raceguard belt on tubed One is probably better than using a tubeless casing.

The other option is to ise their new Aerothan TPU tube, which is supposed to offer greater puncture resistance than typical butyl tubes, in either a tube thpe or tubeless One or Pro One. I can’t say if an Aerothan equipped tubeless Pro One Microskin would be any more or less durable than an Aerothan equipped Tube type One Raceguard, however. I had an Aerothan puncture the other day from a sliver of glass, but it did not lose air quickly, and rather than ripping open, it remained a tiny, slow, pinhole leak even after I removed the glass shard. It also patched just fine with Lezyne self adhesive patches.

This is super helpful! Thanks much. I will give the Aerothan tube a try in this tire.
Old 09-17-21, 02:36 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1819 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by pm124
The Schwalbe website claims that micro skin offers very good puncture protection, but I have older rims that are not tubeless ready. Will the puncture protection suffer if I use tubes (i.e., does the sealant polymerize with he micro skin?) The tires are on sale, so want to jump at them. There is no V guard, just micro skin and puncture protection is important. Schwalbe claims that this is one of their best. Any thoughts?
If you use inner tubes in a tubeless tire the micro skin protection is of no use in preventing flat tires. If the inner tube is punctured you will have a flat tire