Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Advice on buying used Dahon Qix D8

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 09-18-21, 04:00 PM
jfouellette

Bikes: 1999 Bike friday NWT, 2009 Bike Friday Tikit, 2023 silverock Dewy, 2008 Dahon Smooth Hound, 2023 Litepro Trifold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts

Hi everyone. So I'm looking for advice on a few things.
I'm considering a 3 year old used Qix D8. Price is around US$600. Comes with rack with roller wheel, fenders etc. Is this a reasonable price?
How does this bike compare to a Speed d7?
Does the roller rack really work as intended. Can you actually roll the bike for using public transport?
Thanks

Last edited by jfouellette; 09-18-21 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-18-21, 07:05 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I recommend against aluminum frames/forks, especially from the used market, because of aluminum's limited fatigue life. After a certain amount of use, it can unexpectedly fail, catastrophically. In contrast, chromoly and other varieties of steel don't do that. Aluminum was introduced by the bicycle industry for regular consumption, with a selling point of it being lighter than "steel" (ambiguous terminology deliberately used). The folding mechanism of an aluminum frame has enough material to negate any supposed weight advantage and this part of the frame is especially susceptible to fatigue. So that's how I compare the Qix D8 with the Speed D7.

I don't have any experience with the roller rack that you're asking about. However, I do recommend exploring the roll-ability of side-folding bicycles such as the Dahon Speed. Mine rolls well with the handlepost folded across the top of the frame (instead of tucked down between the fold). I just pick up one end and roll it like a wheelbarrow. Also, there is a product by Litepro which is a castor that fastens to the bottom end of the seatpost. I don't know if it works well though. I been rolling my folded bicyce around without anything to facilitate it.

Last edited by Nyah; 09-18-21 at 07:13 PM.